Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I've heard basketball experts say that
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
I've heard basketball experts say that
guards rule college basketball and forwards rule the NBA. College basketball is a guard oriented league. Why? Because most college big men normally aren't capable of handling the ball in all situations and taking it to the rim. Only the guards, normally, at the college level, can do that. So the big men in college must rely on the guards to get them the ball. That's why, if your primary scorer is an inside player, he can sometimes be shut down, whereas good guards can create their own shots. In the NBA you have the best of the best. Huge kids like Labron James can play like a guard and create their own shots.

So what's my point you ask, and that's a legitimate question. We try and make our big men our primary scorers which means trying to always force the ball inside which many times leads to turnovers without a shot at the basket. Granted, Will is an unusual big man at the SBC level, but even he can't do it all by himself. You needs guards taking most of the shots to win at our level. And guards who can shoot. Our big men should be getting their points on offensive rebounds and put backs in most cases.
Obviously if you can create a pass to a big man who's open that's great.
But you can't always do that. Guards need to penetrate and either shoot and draw a foul, or kick the ball out to a three point shooter. We don't and never have done that, while teams who have kicked our butts have done it over and over through the years. I recall Bo McCaleb at UNO. He'd drive, score, draw a foul, or kick the ball to the corner where a three point shooter would drain the three consistently.

So to end this novel, I want to see Ben Dillard taking 10-12 shots a game if he's our best shooter. I want to see D'Vonte taking 5 or 6 if he's open, and I can count on Josh taking 10 or more shots a game because he's doing it. That's how we'll upset someone in the tournament. Otherwise it's probably one and out again.04-cheers
02-17-2014 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: I've heard basketball experts say that
Looks like Ben has been shooting a little more lately.
02-17-2014 10:39 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: I've heard basketball experts say that
(02-17-2014 10:39 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Looks like Ben has been shooting a little more lately.

He needs to shoot a lot more for us to have a chance to win anything. I don't know what type of offense he played in high school, but he was a pretty big scorer. So I'm assuming he shot the ball reasonably frequently.
But I have a feeling since coming here that it's been drilled into him to only take "good" shots. So I think, being a very unselfish player and a coach's son, he's overthinking as to what a good shot is. He's a good enough shooter to just let the ball fly and take his chances. He'll make enough of them to justify him doing that. And it will open up the court for our inside players more.04-cheers
02-17-2014 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.