2nd String

I Root For: dap systems
After 2cnd viewing: Reasons we lost.
Controllable Reasons:

1 a) Poor perimeter and help defense.

Quote: MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
S. Napier 38 10-21 5-12 9-12 0 5 5 4 4 0 1 1 34
Boatright 39 4-12 2-2 11-12 0 0 0 6 2 0 2 1 21

Our guards did not rotate with ball movement quick enough and got beat off the dribble way too much. There were so many shots their guards had that were simply uncontested. If we were on them we hardly ever put a hand up to change the shot.

We average 9.3 steals per game (6th best in NCAA) on the year. vs. UConn we had 4. We are usually good at clogging passing lanes, but Sat. we let them run their offensive sets with ease.

1 b) 18 Turnovers. I don't have the final numbers but with 11 min to go in regulation UConn had 17 pts off of 15 Mem turnovers. At the same time we only had 9 pts off Uconn TO's. We made many lazy passes that Napier gobbled up. Geron does not have very good handles. In comparison UConn only had 6 TO for the game. We average 13 TO's/game.

2) Napier was incredible. Even when we got a hand in his face he was hitting his shots. There were at least 4 shots that we played him perfectly but the shots fell in.

3) Lack of serviceable bigs. It seems that we actually DID miss Dom. Woodson's minutes. Nick King and IVO were less than useless in that game. Shaq had to play 44 min. when he only averages 27.8. Pellom is obviously playing with bad knees.

The Uncontrollable Reasons:

Bad calls (or no-calls) during regulation:
1) should have been called a traveling call on Kromah in the first half when he landed awkwardly and fell on the rebound.
2) at 14:19 in the second half the ball was last touched by Boatright, but the ref called it UConn ball off of Nichols.
3) No call on Kromah who fouled Jackson while shooting with 8:05 left in reg.
4) No call foul with 20 sec. left in reg. Shaq was shooting and there was definite body contact.

Josh yelling or not yelling at the officials would have 0 effect on this IMO - see Cal's tech in the Kentucky / Florida game for reference.
02-16-2014 04:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UPStiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
RE: After 2cnd viewing: Reasons we lost.
100% spot on. Good post.
02-16-2014 05:37 AM
I_LUV_MEMPHISTIGERS Offline
All American

If I were a referee of that game this is exactly what I would I say to the media to evade the 36-9 free throw discrepancy as the reason we lost.
Throwing a team 27 more bones had nothing to do with them winning by 5 points in OT.

You forgot 2 uncontrollable reasons that nullifies and voids ANY & ALL analysis stated above:

1) 36-9
2) A referee officiating this game had a conflict of interest because his brother was a former UCONN legend head football coach

Given all those controllable and uncontrollable reasons stated above we still controlled the game throughout by double digits in any half-way sanely officiated game.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2014 06:47 AM by I_LUV_MEMPHISTIGERS.)
02-16-2014 06:11 AM
lenetzach Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Tigers
After 2cnd viewing: Reasons we lost.
It's hard to take criticism of our defense seriously when it doesn't even recognize how much we were switching and how much we disrupted the flow of their offense.

To your 4 well defended shots that Napier made, I would add at least 2 more long bombs which are low percentage shots even for him. That leaves at most 4 made fg where he got open in the normal flow of offense. That's not perfection by our d, but it's not like he wasnt trying.

If he wasnt making well defended and low percentage shots, it would have been a long day for him.

Our d wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good.
02-16-2014 08:08 AM
TigerBryce Offline
Banned

I Root For: Our Tigers!
I was planning to re watch the game as well to determine whether our offensive flow should have led to more fouls. Or were we taking mostly outside shots without trying to drive the basket and get those calls.

You could save me a bunch of time - your thought on that?
02-16-2014 08:30 AM
Memp400Kng Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
Napier tried to do a sharp cut and his leg buckled, and Geron got called for his 5th foul.
02-16-2014 09:21 AM
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(02-16-2014 04:02 AM)FarFromHome Wrote:  Controllable Reasons:

1 a) Poor perimeter and help defense.

Quote: MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
S. Napier 38 10-21 5-12 9-12 0 5 5 4 4 0 1 1 34
Boatright 39 4-12 2-2 11-12 0 0 0 6 2 0 2 1 21

Our guards did not rotate with ball movement quick enough and got beat off the dribble way too much. There were so many shots their guards had that were simply uncontested. If we were on them we hardly ever put a hand up to change the shot.

We average 9.3 steals per game (6th best in NCAA) on the year. vs. UConn we had 4. We are usually good at clogging passing lanes, but Sat. we let them run their offensive sets with ease.

1 b) 18 Turnovers. I don't have the final numbers but with 11 min to go in regulation UConn had 17 pts off of 15 Mem turnovers. At the same time we only had 9 pts off Uconn TO's. We made many lazy passes that Napier gobbled up. Geron does not have very good handles. In comparison UConn only had 6 TO for the game. We average 13 TO's/game.

2) Napier was incredible. Even when we got a hand in his face he was hitting his shots. There were at least 4 shots that we played him perfectly but the shots fell in.

3) Lack of serviceable bigs. It seems that we actually DID miss Dom. Woodson's minutes. Nick King and IVO were less than useless in that game. Shaq had to play 44 min. when he only averages 27.8. Pellom is obviously playing with bad knees.

The Uncontrollable Reasons:

Bad calls (or no-calls) during regulation:
1) should have been called a traveling call on Kromah in the first half when he landed awkwardly and fell on the rebound.
2) at 14:19 in the second half the ball was last touched by Boatright, but the ref called it UConn ball off of Nichols.
3) No call on Kromah who fouled Jackson while shooting with 8:05 left in reg.
4) No call foul with 20 sec. left in reg. Shaq was shooting and there was definite body contact.

Josh yelling or not yelling at the officials would have 0 effect on this IMO - see Cal's tech in the Kentucky / Florida game for reference.

We looked tired in OT. Got beat on backdoor cuts, got whistled for silly fouls (I'm talking about the real fouls). We could've used some depth in OT.

Otherwise, good post. I think it's overly critical of our perimeter D, which I thought was really good at times and pretty good the rest of the time. Napier is a baller, and no one can really stop him. Boatright was simply the beneficiary of the favorable UConn whistles.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2014 09:31 AM by MemphisCanes.)
02-16-2014 09:28 AM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
What about the play late in the game when, to me, it looked like the UConn player was out of bounds when he saved the ball to another player. Did I see that correct?
02-16-2014 11:02 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(02-16-2014 11:02 AM)mapdude Wrote:  What about the play late in the game when, to me, it looked like the UConn player was out of bounds when he saved the ball to another player. Did I see that correct?

There are pics all over the board about that. Huge blown call. Huge.
02-16-2014 11:06 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(02-16-2014 11:02 AM)mapdude Wrote:  What about the play late in the game when, to me, it looked like the UConn player was out of bounds when he saved the ball to another player. Did I see that correct?

Everyone did except the UConn ref.
02-16-2014 11:06 AM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis

Just like the Kansas game ----we get the call---we beat Kansas for it all. In both games the guy was out----they were also the same exact place on the court-----or off the court as it were. Cost us both games.
02-16-2014 01:56 PM
Advertisement

FarFromHome Offline
2nd String

I should have titled the thread, "Reasons we did not win in regulation" but I thought that was too long. That was definitely another blown call but I think it happened in OT.

This game should never have gone to OT.
02-16-2014 01:59 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-16-2014 11:06 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

[Image: BgiaY96IIAA1uaQ.jpg]
02-16-2014 02:02 PM
FarFromHome Offline
2nd String

(02-16-2014 08:08 AM)lenetzach Wrote:  It's hard to take criticism of our defense seriously when it doesn't even recognize how much we were switching and how much we disrupted the flow of their offense.

To your 4 well defended shots that Napier made, I would add at least 2 more long bombs which are low percentage shots even for him. That leaves at most 4 made fg where he got open in the normal flow of offense. That's not perfection by our d, but it's not like he wasnt trying.

If he wasnt making well defended and low percentage shots, it would have been a long day for him.

Our d wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good.

I probably should switch 1a and 1b. Look, UConn shoots 77% AS A TEAM from the free-throw line. Also they are ranked 144th in assists. It is obvious that their offense is geared toward taking advantage of the new rules by driving into contact. All I am saying is that they out-quicked our guards and our bigs were too slow to rotate and help. The amount of free throws that team took was part of their game plan. Do you think we could have done anything differently on defense to affect the outcome?
02-16-2014 02:30 PM
FarFromHome Offline
2nd String

(02-16-2014 09:21 AM)Memp400Kng Wrote:  Napier tried to do a sharp cut and his leg buckled, and Geron got called for his 5th foul.

This was OT, no? I was only looking at regulation. There were definitely blown calls in OT.
02-16-2014 02:34 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(02-16-2014 09:21 AM)Memp400Kng Wrote:  Napier tried to do a sharp cut and his leg buckled, and Geron got called for his 5th foul.

Bingo.

And that summed up the day.

Pellom under the basket at the end of regulation w/ the score tied, he goes to the deck, no call.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2014 02:35 PM by umbluegray.)
02-16-2014 02:35 PM
Advertisement

FarFromHome Offline
2nd String

For the record, If the exact same game was played with accurate officiating we win. All we needed was 1 extra point.

I am simply saying that getting that extra point could have been controlled. It stinks that our guys had to compensate for poor officiating, but those things happen.
02-16-2014 02:38 PM
FarFromHome Offline
2nd String

(02-16-2014 08:30 AM)TigerBryce Wrote:  I was planning to re watch the game as well to determine whether our offensive flow should have led to more fouls. Or were we taking mostly outside shots without trying to drive the basket and get those calls.

You could save me a bunch of time - your thought on that?

We shot the ball well from outside (7 for 15, 46.7%), and ran really good offensive sets when we didn't make lazy passes. We mostly took good, high percentage shots.

We are a poor free-throw shooting team, so it might be a reason that we gear our offense to get open shots rather than driving into contact. "The open man is the go-to man" -CJP. I would submit that UConn does not use this type of offense (low assists, high FT%).
02-16-2014 02:50 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(02-16-2014 02:02 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  

The usual list of ******* posters claim he wasn't out of bounds.
02-16-2014 02:58 PM
FarFromHome Offline
2nd String

(02-16-2014 02:58 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(02-16-2014 02:02 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  

The usual list of ******* posters claim he wasn't out of bounds.

Who in the world would make that claim? Going to watch the OT...
02-16-2014 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.