Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN article - Aresco addresses Bohn comments
Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
This is a decent article on AAC football - especially for ESPN.

In it, Aresco talks about Mike Bohn's comments from last week.

In hiring former Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn to the same position last week, Cincinnati sent a not-so-subtle sign that its heart is hardly devoted to its current domain. It was Bohn who helped the Buffaloes escape the then-floundering Big 12 for the Pac-12 four years ago, and his and Bearcats officials' comments upon his introduction made the school's priority clear.

"Obviously, that's the issue and the opportunity," Bohn said, according to the AP. "We talked a great deal about it. The trustees were very clear about their commitment and trying to help.

"We talked at length about it and understand the landscape. I believe I've got a good sense of what's going on around the country. I lived it in the move to the Pac-12."

Little on the horizon suggests any moves are imminent. For now, the American hopes to use this period of relative stability to further enhance its reduced spotlight.

"You'd rather not see that, no one's arguing that you would," Aresco said of Cincinnati. "On the other hand, this is a good conference, and we staunchly defend the conference. We know Cincinnati is going to be obviously an important part of it, and a good partner. We don't worry about realignment; we have to build what we have, we have to think about what we've got here.

"We've got 12 schools that can compete, and that's our focus, our focus is on that. And whatever happens, let the chips fall where they may. But we're worried about building the conference, and Cincinnati will be a good partner, they'll be an important school."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...ing-future

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2014 01:40 PM by bearcatfan.)
02-14-2014 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: ESPN article - Aresco addresses Bohn comments
In other words-- we gawn. 02-13-banana

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2014 01:38 PM by CliftonAve.)
02-14-2014 01:38 PM
Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
(02-14-2014 01:38 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  In other words-- we gawn. 02-13-banana

I would not go that far but the fact that Aresco had to address Bohn's statements definitely says something.

02-14-2014 02:26 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I don't think its a secret that UConn and Cincinnati are looking for a power five invite. If I was Aresco I would be disappointed that one of my member schools spoke out the way they did. At the end of the day, none of this matters in terms of UC's chances of getting out of the American. Right now I don't think an invite is coming anytime soon, I think its mostly just wishful thinking. Eventually UC will change conferences so I am just going to enjoy the ride in the American until its time to say goodbye.

02-14-2014 02:35 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
Yep, it will be fun watching games on the Neptune Cable Network, Channel 765 on your cable TV, assuming you have paid extra to get their main Westchester Dog Show programming.

02-14-2014 07:22 PM
BringBackthe Glory Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcat Nation
(02-14-2014 07:22 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Yep, it will be fun watching games on the Neptune Cable Network, Channel 765 on your cable TV, assuming you have paid extra to get their main Westchester Dog Show programming.

That was pretty good.04-cheers

02-14-2014 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
UC, UConn and USF essentially were the only schools in the country that got demoted. To think they aren't going to look to get back on top would be naive.

02-14-2014 07:47 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Re: RE: ESPN article - Aresco addresses Bohn comments
(02-14-2014 07:47 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  UC, UConn and USF essentially were the only schools in the country that got demoted. To think they aren't going to look to get back on top would be naive.

And UCs on the field performance was far better than almost 90% of teams in the country. Thats what hurts the most.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

02-14-2014 08:07 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Love Bohn already....

02-14-2014 08:31 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(02-14-2014 08:31 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Love Bohn already....

UC for Colorado or Cincinnati

He can bankrupt two schools

02-14-2014 08:55 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Why is an SMU fan so into threads about this guy?

02-14-2014 11:32 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Because I am quite familiar with all things Big 12

02-14-2014 11:34 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Cool. But why? It seems like you have an axe to grind. Sorry if I am reading more into all of your posts on him than I should. But there have been quite a few on our board if I am not mistaken.

02-14-2014 11:36 PM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
(02-14-2014 11:34 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Because I am quite familiar with all things Big 12

Bully for you. 05-mafia

02-15-2014 04:36 AM
back2vinyl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Bearcats
(02-14-2014 07:47 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  UC, UConn and USF essentially were the only schools in the country that got demoted. To think they aren't going to look to get back on top would be naive.

Yep. We were on the deck of the Titanic as it slipped under the waves. Not we're freezing to death in icy water hoping for a life boat. But I wish we would think of it more as getting INTO a P5 conference rather than getting OUT of the AAC. It may seem like the same thing, but we should stop trashing our current conference. Kind of like how it's a bad idea to trash your current employer while interviewing for a new job.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2014 08:13 AM by back2vinyl.)
02-15-2014 08:13 AM
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
(02-15-2014 08:13 AM)back2vinyl Wrote:  

Yep. We were on the deck of the Titanic as it slipped under the waves. Not we're freezing to death in icy water hoping for a life boat. But I wish we would think of it more as getting INTO a P5 conference rather than getting OUT of the AAC. It may seem like the same thing, but we should stop trashing our current conference. Kind of like how it's a bad idea to trash your current employer while interviewing for a new job.
That's pretty fair. Though I don't think UH or SMU take offense...they know it's not personal. It was only 20 odd years ago they were in the same boat and probably relate.

02-15-2014 08:43 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I appreciate Aresco's reaction. This sort of thing was completely absent with the former regime, while WVU and UL were constantly talking about getting out.

02-16-2014 10:55 AM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
Interesting perspective here in Connecticut: most people here aren't depressed about the AAC, they're pissed. Didn't hear those rumblings during football season but now that hoops is going on it's changed. I find it humorous that if so many are genuinely upset you think they'd try and channel that into something positive to get them out of the conference sooner. Have a major fundraising campaign, improve facilities, or do something other than complain about the level of competition in the American.

It's not to say that people back home aren't upset, I know I'm wanting UC to move up in the world, but I think we're doing it the right way. Keep winning across the board in the situation that the Cats are in, the Nippert renovation, hopefully addressing the 5/3 Arena problem sometime soon, and just stay in a great position so that when the Power 5 do come calling we can step up seamlessly. Am I off base here?

02-17-2014 10:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(02-17-2014 10:26 AM)Jchuges7 Wrote:  Interesting perspective here in Connecticut: most people here aren't depressed about the AAC, they're pissed. Didn't hear those rumblings during football season but now that hoops is going on it's changed. I find it humorous that if so many are genuinely upset you think they'd try and channel that into something positive to get them out of the conference sooner. Have a major fundraising campaign, improve facilities, or do something other than complain about the level of competition in the American.

It's not to say that people back home aren't upset, I know I'm wanting UC to move up in the world, but I think we're doing it the right way. Keep winning across the board in the situation that the Cats are in, the Nippert renovation, hopefully addressing the 5/3 Arena problem sometime soon, and just stay in a great position so that when the Power 5 do come calling we can step up seamlessly. Am I off base here?

Great post. I think UConn's issue is they miss longtime rivals in basketball. No Syracuse, Providence, Georgetown, Pitt, St. John's or Villanova. That is one reason I advocated for UMass because it would give UConn and Temple a regional rival.

Most of the rivalry games UC lost were in football. Basketball lost Louisville for the time being but Memphis is a huge pickup considering the past history between those two schools. Also, the UConn-Cincinnati game has always a great one the last few years. The Bearcats didn't have the longtime ties to northeastern schools like UConn did. Cats still played Pitt in basketball and don't think UC fans care one way or the other about the C7.

If UC stays in the American, I expect Memphis, SMU, UConn, and Temple to become rivalry level games.

02-17-2014 10:35 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-17-2014 10:26 AM)Jchuges7 Wrote:  Interesting perspective here in Connecticut: most people here aren't depressed about the AAC, they're pissed. Didn't hear those rumblings during football season but now that hoops is going on it's changed. I find it humorous that if so many are genuinely upset you think they'd try and channel that into something positive to get them out of the conference sooner. Have a major fundraising campaign, improve facilities, or do something other than complain about the level of competition in the American.

I think a big reason for that is that UConn believes they have already have what is in place for the next step up in terms of athletic budget, facilities, etc. UC on the other hand recognizes its opportunity areas and is addressing it.

I am not suprised to see the rumblings in Connecticut grow louder during basketball. That is their #1 sport first of all and I have noticed their attendance has declined pretty significantly. They have been playing against regional foes in the Big East since 1979. Kinda hard to get the locals excited about playing schools in Texas and Florida. The interest will wane up there even more next year when Tulsa, Tulane and East Carolina are added to the mix.

02-17-2014 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.