Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Hoops > Big East Hoops
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
AAC Hoops > Big East Hoops
When I wrote my weekly basketball blog post for ACCBasketballRx, I noticed something I thought was worth mentioning:

Quote:The Big East was specifically created as the basketball portion of the old league by the same name, whereas the American Conference was the football league. Well, don't look now, but the American has 5 teams in the AP top 25, while the Big East has only 2...

Quote:...if I had to choose between a basketball league consisting of Villanova, Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, Providence, Georgetown, etc., or one composed of teams like Cincinnati, Memphis, UConn and Houston... give me American Conference basketball every time!

For a G5 football league you guys sure play some good basketball!
04-bow
02-13-2014 10:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: AAC Hoops > Big East Hoops
I don't know what people were thinking when they said the NBE would be better. It is pretty much G'town, Nova, Marquette, and overrated garbage, with the wold card of Creighton thrown in
02-13-2014 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jlbphila Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofM
The "crowd" at Seton Hall - St. Johns right now looks worse than Hoffheinz Pavillion.
02-13-2014 10:24 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Thanks HokieMark.

Sure would be nice if we got 5 NCAA bids and the Big East got 3. Especially after winning the Fiesta Bowl.
02-13-2014 10:38 PM
upstater1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
For a decade until Syracuse won a championship, UConn carried that conference and kept them relevant. Then Louisville, Cincy and Marquette were added, but it was mainly Louisville that brought the conference up to its historic standards. The Catholics did the early work for 7 or 8 years when the conference started, but then from 1988 on, Georgetown only made 1 single Final 8 in 20 years!! 20 years. UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, then Louisville were the four teams at the top, though Pitt to a much lesser extent.

So, I'm not sure what people were looking at. They could have looked at the results, all the first lace finishes, the championships, etc., to realize that the Catholic schools have been doing very little in the BE for eons. It's probably Georgetown's reemergence a couple years ago along with Villanova popping up again that made people believe this is the way the BE always was.
02-13-2014 10:41 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that Louisville is leaving the conference after this season.

Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that the team with the lowest RPI in the Big east is still higher than half the AAC.

Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that 2 of the 3 newcomers next year have RPI's in the 200's and the third would be a bottom feeder in the Big East.

Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that RPI rates the Big East as the 4th best conference in the country and the AAC as 8th.

Glad we got all of those inconvenient facts out of the way, so we can say: AAC IS THE BEST! SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE BIG EAST!

BTW, if you didn't know . . . The grapes were sour.
02-13-2014 10:45 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(02-13-2014 10:17 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  When I wrote my weekly basketball blog post for ACCBasketballRx, I noticed something I thought was worth mentioning:

Quote:The Big East was specifically created as the basketball portion of the old league by the same name, whereas the American Conference was the football league. Well, don't look now, but the American has 5 teams in the AP top 25, while the Big East has only 2...

Quote:...if I had to choose between a basketball league consisting of Villanova, Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, Providence, Georgetown, etc., or one composed of teams like Cincinnati, Memphis, UConn and Houston... give me American Conference basketball every time!

04-bow

good luck with that. anybody wanna guess how long it takes for big east posters to chime in on this thread to tell us how great they are and superior they are gonna be for the eleventy millionth time due to the fact they make 1/40th of our atheltic budget more money than us for tv coverage on the nature channel.
02-13-2014 10:48 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(02-13-2014 10:45 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that Louisville is leaving the conference after this season.

Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that the team with the lowest RPI in the Big east is still higher than half the AAC.

Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that 2 of the 3 newcomers next year have RPI's in the 200's and the third would be a bottom feeder in the Big East.

Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that RPI rates the Big East as the 4th best conference in the country and the AAC as 8th.

Glad we got all of those inconvenient facts out of the way, so we can say: AAC IS THE BEST! SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE BIG EAST!

03-lmfao
that didnt take long
03-lmfao

melky bwhahahahaha.
offical spokesman of the big east
[Image: cry-baby-blog.jpg]
02-13-2014 10:52 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-13-2014 10:45 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  Shh! Let's not talk about the fact that Louisville is leaving the conference after this season.

Wow, I didn't realize all that... maybe I should take back the nice things I wrote? Nah! I'll still watch Cincinnati vs. Memphis or even UConn vs. Temple before I'd watch pretty much any Big East matchup I can think of (MAYbe a Georgetown game?)
02-13-2014 10:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF

I do find the irony of a UConn poster complaining about how poor performing conference members hurt our conferences legitimacy to be just delicious, or do I need to link every article about AAC football written this season to show you just where UConn lost any right to complain about your fellow conference members performance in a major sport?
02-13-2014 10:57 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

Big East, Big Dissapointment LINK

Bwahahahahaha

It is gonna get worse for them. Recruiting will slip because they are on the Cartoon network. Few teams in the tourney. Dumpster fire programs like St. Johns. dumb dumb dumb
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 11:05 PM by shere khan.)
02-13-2014 11:05 PM
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(02-13-2014 10:24 PM)jlbphila Wrote:  The "crowd" at Seton Hall - St. Johns right now looks worse than Hoffheinz Pavillion.

Without seeing any pictures, I can safely say the crowd in Houston on NYE (UCONN-Houston) was bigger than this "game"!!!
02-14-2014 12:01 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I'm a Georgetown fan, but I do think you could easily make this statement. I personally think depth is way overrated. Who gives a rip that DePaul is better than South Florida or that Butler is better than UCF.

I think the one danger that you guys have is your 5 teams getting in may all be in that 4-8 range. It's not going to be a lock getting those teams into the sweet 16. Big East will likely have 2 top 4 seeds in Nova and Creighton. So, could see come sweet 16 weekend BE with 2 teams and AAC with maybe 1 team.

Personally, I've always said I wish there had never been a split. A conference with AAC top 5 and Nova, Marquette, St John's, Georgetown, and even PC this year- could have gotten 9-10 tourney teams. More if things had gotten smart and still added Creighton. I think it was a huge mistake.
02-14-2014 12:40 AM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east

Melky, you should know better than to let the facts get in the way of any argument around here. Notice nobody refuted anything you said, just attacked you for having the audacity to mention them. Here's a couple more facts BE 3-0 vs AAC this year. Xavier blows out 1st place Cinci 64-47. Nova blows out Temple in Big 5 game, and finally Seton Hall beats Rutgers... And as a side note to Hokie Mark, it's understandable why you'd be poking fun at other people considering the fine season Virginia Tech is having. If I were in your shoes I guess I'd be looking to watch anybody else but my own team too. And by the way BE bottom feeder Seton Hall beat the Hokies this year too. At your own place nonetheless.
02-14-2014 01:01 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
LOL the Big East "board" is dead, so now they finally get a thread going. But it's on the American board and it's full of excuses why there's only 2 Top 25 teams in the Big East vs 5 in the American. Classic.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2014 01:07 AM by CougarRed.)
02-14-2014 01:06 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-14-2014 01:06 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  LOL the Big East "board" is dead, so now they finally get a thread going. But it's on the American board and it's full of excuses why there's only 2 Top 25 teams in the Big East vs 5 in the American. Classic.

my opinion you guys are having a great year. The tourney will be very interesting to see how you guys(and the Big East as well)- manages in there. SMU is like a year ahead of schedule in my opinion- thought they'd be like this next year. Memphis finally has gotten the gorilla off their backs of Pastner never winning a top 25 game. Cincy much stronger. UConn and Louisville having typical top notch seasons.
02-14-2014 01:10 AM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(02-13-2014 11:05 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Big East, Big Dissapointment LINK

Bwahahahahaha

It is gonna get worse for them. Recruiting will slip because they are on the Cartoon network. Few teams in the tourney. Dumpster fire programs like St. Johns. dumb dumb dumb

Actually it's not From this year's recruiting class (2014), here's the score from the ESPN top 100:

Big East - 14
American - 4

But I did enjoy your fantasy. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2014 01:31 AM by Melky Cabrera.)
02-14-2014 01:28 AM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

When you have HALF of a conference in the Top 25... obviously with a double round robin 18 game conference schedule... that the bottom half is going to take A LOT OF LUMPS... that's what 9-10 losses for each of the bottom teams in conference play against the top half... you're not going to make that up winning half your games against the bottom half...

People who live and die by RPI statistics are wrong about conference strength EVERY YEAR... I'm sorry, but the higher the top is and the more top level teams you have, the more the bottom teams lose and have lower RPI's. That doesn't mean a conference isn't strong - obviously the American is loaded...
02-14-2014 01:33 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(02-13-2014 10:17 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  When I wrote my weekly basketball blog post for ACCBasketballRx, I noticed something I thought was worth mentioning:

04-bow

lmao...F troll ... and lol again... I don't know what you mean by "For a G5 football league"... lol... But reverse scicolegy sure is brilliant in your part of neighborhood, I see. 05-nono
02-14-2014 01:33 AM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
(02-14-2014 01:28 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 11:05 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Big East, Big Dissapointment LINK

Bwahahahahaha

Actually it's not From this year's recruiting class (2014), here's the score from the ESPN top 100:

Big East - 14
American - 4

But I did enjoy your fantasy. 04-cheers

It will change over the next few..just wait.
02-14-2014 05:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.