Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tom DIenhart: UConn not on Big Ten radar, locked out of a major conference
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Tom DIenhart: UConn not on Big Ten radar, locked out of a major conference
Tom Dienhart ‏@BTNTomDienhart 4h
Illinois and UConn have finalized a home-and-home football series for the 2019 and 2020 seasons.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
Go B1G or Go Home ‏@B1GConn 3h

@BTNTomDienhart Tom, could these be a future conference game one day? Like Rutgers and MD having to cancel series after being added?
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Tom Dienhart ‏@BTNTomDienhart 3h
@B1GConn Not so sure UConn is a target. UConn and Cincinnati seemingly are locked out of major conferences.
Hide conversation
02-11-2014 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

HuskyU Offline
The Peoples' P6 Champion

I Root For: Firing Ollie
RE: Tom DIenhart: UConn not on Big Ten radar, locked out of a major conference
You just can't resist a UCONN dig. Go take your routine somewhere else - probably back to the AAC board since that is your trolling home. 07-coffee3
02-11-2014 03:38 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: The Process
I don't read too much into it. I take it that Dienhart is merely speaking as a neutral observer that for the moment there doesn't appear to be an invitation to a P5 conference coming for these schools. I doubt he is speaking from word he received on high that UC and UConn are locked out indefinitely.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 03:54 PM by CliftonAve.)
02-11-2014 03:53 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-11-2014 03:53 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I don't read too much into it. I take it that Dienhart is merely speaking as a neutral observer that for the moment there doesn't appear to be an invitation to a P5 conference coming for these schools. I doubt he is speaking from word he received on high that UC and UConn are locked out indefinitely.

It's kind of an odd situation. If there was a breakaway I think almost certainly UConn would be included because of basketball. Similarly Cincinnati would be much harder to leave behind in that situation as would B.Y.U.. But if a new division is created within the NCAA and G5 and P5 schools still play basketball together it is much easier not to pay the schools we are discussing for their football, although UConn was on the way until their coach moved and Cincinnati has a very respectable history. It's ironic that the teams on the cusp of P5 status might only find inclusion in an exclusionary move. But in a true breakaway top basketball schools will get considerations and niche markets will be more important.
02-11-2014 04:00 PM

Captain Bearcat Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Of course we're locked out of a power conference for the forseeable future. The thing is, it's amazing how fast things can go from "forseeable" to "WTF?"

For example, the Big Ten said that they were set with 12 members, with no expansion on the horizon. Then the SEC added TAMU and Mizzou. All of a sudden, the Big Ten thought Maryland and Rutgers were a great idea to add.
02-11-2014 04:02 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
There won't be any speed to any movement for the foreseeable future. Every conference is locked into their TV contracts for the next decade or so.
02-11-2014 04:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Not true, bit. The Big 10 comes back up in 3.
02-11-2014 04:05 PM

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(02-11-2014 04:05 PM)mlb Wrote:  Not true, bit. The Big 10 comes back up in 3.
The B1G has no expansion candidates available that they'd want. So my point stands.
02-11-2014 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-11-2014 04:02 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Of course we're locked out of a power conference for the forseeable future. The thing is, it's amazing how fast things can go from "forseeable" to "WTF?"

For example, the Big Ten said that they were set with 12 members, with no expansion on the horizon. Then the SEC added TAMU and Mizzou. All of a sudden, the Big Ten thought Maryland and Rutgers were a great idea to add.

Most of the TV contracts come with look-ins for additional markets added to the existing footprint, or for expansion in general due to content issues. But if I were a Husky or Bearcat fan I would be secretly hoping for a breakaway, as that would mean that the broadening of membership would be in the best interest of those separating. It leaves less suitable product for the NCAA to use to regroup, and brings more numbers on board in the new League.
02-11-2014 04:09 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(02-11-2014 04:06 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The B1G has no expansion candidates available that they'd want. So my point stands.

If Maryland loses their lawsuit then I'll agree... if Maryland wins, I think the Big 10 may find another couple schools in that area of the country.
02-11-2014 04:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.