Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Turf at HRS
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
New Turf at HRS
Rice Facilities ‏@ricefacilities 3m

One month from today we will have a new artificial turf field. pic.twitter.com/9GAWywMjjJ
02-10-2014 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mbrindley Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: New Turf at HRS
Interesting. Thought the current turf was relatively new. Good to see improvements even if they are trickling in at this point.
02-10-2014 05:44 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
(02-10-2014 05:44 PM)mbrindley Wrote:  Interesting. Thought the current turf was relatively new. Good to see improvements even if they are trickling in at this point.

It was put in in 2007, IIRC.

Yes, good news I guess. Although compared to other more pressing needs... perhaps it was deteriorating in ways we don't know.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 11:34 AM by talon owl.)
02-11-2014 11:33 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
Curious as to why. didn't we replace it in 2006, then 2007?
02-11-2014 12:34 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

(02-11-2014 12:34 PM)Antarius Wrote:  Curious as to why. didn't we replace it in 2006, then 2007?

Yes. The 2006 version was stained with TG's yellow. 2005 and before was Hatfield's concrete dome.
02-11-2014 12:54 PM
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
(02-11-2014 11:33 AM)talon owl Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 05:44 PM)mbrindley Wrote:  Interesting. Thought the current turf was relatively new. Good to see improvements even if they are trickling in at this point.

Yes, good news I guess. Although compared to other more pressing needs... perhaps it was deteriorating in ways we don't know.

I looked it up on Riceowls.com
It was replaced in early 2008.
02-11-2014 01:12 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Generally speaking they replace it when the performance warranty runs out (thus lots of liability shifts from the company to the school). Turf quality is PROBABLY the number one priority for health and safety of the athletes. I know that other things certainly contribute and are important... but turf is certainly a big one.
02-11-2014 02:09 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
It seems like the late 1980s when nearly every visiting team complained about the state of the Astroturf. It seemed like Rice took a long line time to act on it back then, and I'd suspect that they only replaced it once between then and moving to field turf in 2006.
02-11-2014 02:14 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(02-11-2014 01:12 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 11:33 AM)talon owl Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 05:44 PM)mbrindley Wrote:  Thought the current turf was relatively new.

It was replaced in early 2008.

A great investment -- Good thing we are avoiding all the expense and difficulty of mowing grass!
02-11-2014 03:59 PM
Klobasnek Offline
Bench Warmer

New turf is next-gen Astroturf

Hard to read much into the announcement, but as someone who's been on the field several times in the past year the Fieldturf was definitely starting to get worn down. The midfield logo and end zone lettering slightly stuck up from the rest of the turf.
02-11-2014 06:53 PM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
Where is the old turf going?
Bids on a giant logo for tailgating?
02-11-2014 11:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
Check out the company's website:

http://www.astroturf.com/ ... first rotation on the front-page images...

[Image: rice1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 11:46 PM by I45owl.)
02-11-2014 11:45 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl

02-11-2014 11:47 PM
75src Offline
All American

Our roots were natural grass until 1970.

The Astroturf they are putting in now must be a lot better than the original Astroturf. You can see some of the original type thin Astroturf on the ramps at the track stadium.

(02-11-2014 11:45 PM)I45owl Wrote:  Check out the company's website:

http://www.astroturf.com/ ... first rotation on the front-page images...

[Image: rice1.jpg]
02-12-2014 02:50 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
I noticed the Liberty Bowl was a place that has this Astroturf in place. Weren't the Rice players (in particular, though some MSU players did, too) struggling with the traction early in the game? Something to watch for.
02-12-2014 08:07 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(02-12-2014 08:07 AM)gsloth Wrote:  I noticed the Liberty Bowl was a place that has this Astroturf in place. Weren't the Rice players (in particular, though some MSU players did, too) struggling with the traction early in the game? Something to watch for.

I'd bet we didn't have the right cleats for that type of field.
02-12-2014 11:15 AM
Advertisement

Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
(02-12-2014 08:07 AM)gsloth Wrote:  I noticed the Liberty Bowl was a place that has this Astroturf in place. Weren't the Rice players (in particular, though some MSU players did, too) struggling with the traction early in the game? Something to watch for.

Actually it is FieldTurf not Astroturf:
Quote:. The stadium features a synthetic FieldTurf playing surface, spacious locker rooms and a four-level press box, which features a stadium club for VIPs. The playing surface, which had been natural grass through the 2004 season, was replaced with the new FieldTurf surface that is used in more than 25 NCAA Division IA football stadiums.
Liberty Bowl

And here is a quote from current AstroTurf user that is very relevant to Rice Football next season:
Quote:“We will play on a synthetic surface, AstroTurf GameDay Grass 3D. We are going to be built for speed as a team and we need to play on a fast surface!,” said Head Coach Bobby Wilder.

Old Dominion Monarchs AstroTurf Gameday grass

It seems that this surface has a good balance of player safety and speed. On numerous occasions I've read Moondog state that the current playing surface is very slow.
02-12-2014 11:35 AM
07owl Offline
All American

(02-12-2014 11:35 AM)Pan95 Wrote:  

Quote:. The stadium features a synthetic FieldTurf playing surface, spacious locker rooms and a four-level press box, which features a stadium club for VIPs. The playing surface, which had been natural grass through the 2004 season, was replaced with the new FieldTurf surface that is used in more than 25 NCAA Division IA football stadiums.
Liberty Bowl

And here is a quote from current AstroTurf user that is very relevant to Rice Football next season:
Quote:“We will play on a synthetic surface, AstroTurf GameDay Grass 3D. We are going to be built for speed as a team and we need to play on a fast surface!,” said Head Coach Bobby Wilder.

Old Dominion Monarchs AstroTurf Gameday grass

It seems that this surface has a good balance of player safety and speed. On numerous occasions I've read Moondog state that the current playing surface is very slow.

Seems like it would usually be to our advantage to play on a slower field
02-12-2014 11:49 AM
Hardball Owl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: students

New Orleans BowlFootball Genius
It's not surprising that the techonology of artificial grass fields is evolving, and fairly rapidly, which may mean that artificial fields become "techonologically" obsolete before they need replacementl merely on account of wear. Heck, even "natural grass" fields have evolved fairly significantly, with the installation of different drainage systems and subsurfaces.

Part of the justification, I always understood, for artificial fiels in outdoor stadia was a long-term reduction in cost, taking into account maintenance. I wonder if that justification still holds, if artificial fields are now being replaced as often as they seem to be, i.e. every 6 years or so.

I can sure say I'm glad Reckling Park has a grass field!
02-12-2014 12:55 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

(02-12-2014 11:35 AM)Pan95 Wrote:  

Liberty Bowl

Nope.

Quote:The 59,308-seat facility features a new AstroTurf surface, spacious locker rooms and a four-level press box which features a VIP stadium club. Recently added to other NFL and university stadiums as well, the new AstroTurf field was installed at the Liberty Bowl in 2012.

http://beamemphistiger.com/facilities/football/

Interesting that we chose to change to the same playing surface as the field we played our worst game in years on.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 01:14 PM by talon owl.)
02-12-2014 01:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.