Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Sun Belt Needs A Digital Network
Bookmark and Share
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
The Sun Belt Needs A Digital Network
I know my bud Panama has mentioned this before in assorted threads...but I just wanted to put it out there.

Even the CAA, a FCS conference, has a digital network.

See: http://www.caasports.com//ViewArticle.db...=209258698
02-08-2014 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
RE: The Sun Belt Needs A Digital Network
Does anyone anywhere use analog anymore?
Thought everything was digital.
Do you mean HD (High Definition)?

Or is the emphasis on having a more aggressive Sun Belt Network?
02-10-2014 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(02-10-2014 11:03 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Does anyone anywhere use analog anymore?
Thought everything was digital.
Do you mean HD (High Definition)?

Or is the emphasis on having a more aggressive Sun Belt Network?
Yes and aggressive network that televises whatever isn't picked up nationally or shows it online.An actual network that will actually show these games that are not telivised online in HD so that youre not spending $9 a pop for fuzz of an audio feed with both the play by play guys and the arena announcer.

There are not a lot of places where we can play catch up to the P5 but technology is one. I mentioned before that the PAC 12 is showing all of their spring games on the PAC 12 network and PAC 12 online. That is smart marketing for their conference. None of the games overlap time wise.

Its just crazy that the CAA had more third tier MBB games picked up than the SBC.
02-10-2014 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoApps70 Offline

Unless the SBC media contract prohibits it, every game should be broadcast at least on
the web. ESPN3 blocks way too many games when they have some on.
02-10-2014 01:11 PM
Advertisement

dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
even the godawful lowly ovc has one.

think about that.
02-10-2014 01:32 PM
UNOPrivatr13 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNO
Basically every school out there offers live video online these days that you can buy access to from the individual schools. I have no idea why every conference in the country wouldn't do this. For a set fee, you'd get access to every game around the entire conference. I'd buy this for the Southland immediately, since every game concerns UNO, but I'd probably also get it for the Belt and CUSA depending on pricing. Seems like a no brainer to me.
02-11-2014 07:50 PM
GoApps70 Offline

It would make the conference feel even closer together if you were
ensured of being able to watch every conference game. Mr. Benson?
02-12-2014 08:05 AM
Advertisement

trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
02-15-2014 03:29 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(02-15-2014 03:29 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  Well, what is this then...?

http://sunbeltsports.org/sports/2014/1/1...twork.aspx

Every game shown?
Do not think so, especially football.
Not so sure giving up $40,000 per school might not be better for the Sun Belt, except for the national publicity received.
Since we are not appreciated would think the SBC and the individual schools might be better at selling their home games to individual television stations or systems. That way our digital network could retain the rights to show all games for us fans also.
02-15-2014 04:11 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Click live events impressive list of available games, considering AState is playing a baseball doubleheader, AState and UL are underway in women's hoops, and will be later today in men's hoops.
02-15-2014 06:12 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(02-15-2014 04:11 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

Every game shown?
Not so sure giving up $40,000 per school might not be better for the Sun Belt, except for the national publicity received.
Since we are not appreciated would think the SBC and the individual schools might be better at selling their home games to individual television stations or systems. That way our digital network could retain the rights to show all games for us fans also.

Every football game is on TV anyway...the Digital Network would be pretty much pointless for that area.
02-15-2014 10:38 PM
txstatebobcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Texas State
(02-15-2014 10:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Every game shown?

Every football game is on TV anyway...the Digital Network would be pretty much pointless for that area.

In Texas State's case two games were shown on Austin local TV. Those of us who live outside the Austin viewing area weren't able to watch anything..

The way cable is heading, the Sunbelt should make an substantial investment in its digital network. Increasing the broadcast quality and production values of games. Especially football, men's and women's basketball, softball and baseball. Shop it around to Amazon, Netflix, google, etc. as a special add on for existing customers and as a new way to bring in potential new customers those companies. It could show, not just current live games, but previously recorded games. Tier one could go to ESPN for the time being and/or on a syndicated game of the week in all SBC markets. Let's say with a starting price of $10/month or $20/month for football season, I bet that at bare minimum this network would have 50-100,000 subscribers. Making it far more profitable than any current TV deal.
The schools can use their radio commentators. Heck give the customer the choice of which radio commentator they want to use. For example in a TxSt vs Louisiana game, TxSt fans would hear their radio guys while watching the game and Louisiana fans would hear their own people. This automatically would improve the viewing experience 10 fold. All it would take is hiring an in-house producer(s) to decided which video feed is best, which is probably already in place since everyone has video boards nowadays.

I'm sure there will be growing pains and that it will take years to implement, however by the time the ESPN contract ends, the system will be already in place and we could kick them to the curb.
02-16-2014 11:42 AM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
(02-15-2014 10:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Every game shown?

No it's not several sunbelt games where blacked out in my area. A digital network would do wonders.
02-16-2014 03:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.