Baseball America's C-USA preview
Bookmark and Share
Southern Miss Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Baseball America's C-USA preview
02-06-2014 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Baseball America's C-USA preview
(02-06-2014 01:06 PM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2...rence-usa/

Too bad they got our first year wrong 07-coffee3
02-06-2014 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Southern Miss Alum Offline
1st String

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(02-06-2014 02:03 PM)wh49er Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 01:06 PM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2...rence-usa/

Too bad they got our first year wrong 07-coffee3

But they got your second first year right ...
02-06-2014 02:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr. Bojangles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CHARLOTTE
4 NCAA teams would be nice.

Surprised to see USM listed as an NCAA team after reading the USM baseball thread here.
02-06-2014 02:24 PM
Freshy Offline
1st String

(02-06-2014 02:24 PM)Mr. Bojangles Wrote:  4 NCAA teams would be nice.

Surprised to see USM listed as an NCAA team after reading the USM baseball thread here.

With eight of our ten sun belt games at home, ten sec games, and a stronger conference, we have the schedule to get there.

As the article points out, we have the raw talent to get there, too, but many southern miss fans are down on our chances because berry can't seem able to coach up the talent that is on his roster.
02-06-2014 02:28 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(02-06-2014 02:28 PM)Freshy Wrote:  

With eight of our ten sun belt games at home, ten sec games, and a stronger conference, we have the schedule to get there.

As the article points out, we have the raw talent to get there, too, but many southern miss fans are down on our chances because berry can't seem able to coach up the talent that is on his roster.

I hope you're right, but pitching is a major question mark and COR is an issue for our boys at the plate....can't sugercoat the performance issues of the fail of small ball.

Baseball and golf are the only sports where stats are accurate in spelling out the of tale of the tape. Some site that had us with a top 3 recruiting class or having 3 of our players as MLB draft choices is meaningless.

Somebody has to coach these boys to their potential....either all of them don't have it or our coaching staff is not doing their job.

It's one or the other.
02-06-2014 02:43 PM
Advertisement

eaglenjxn Offline
All American

"...Southern Miss expects the bullpen to be the strength of the staff."

Hahaha.....oh wait, he's serious. I feel sick....
02-06-2014 02:44 PM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

To play devil's advocate here, that is coming from the very publication that hyped up said recruiting class and ranked it third in the nation.

Agreed with Berry, though. I think our players definitely are talented (though I question HOW talented) but Berry simply cannot develop players.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 02:48 PM by eaglenjxn.)
02-06-2014 02:46 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

We won't be confident until we see some improvement on the field.
02-06-2014 03:06 PM
stinkfist Offline

(02-06-2014 02:46 PM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  

To play devil's advocate here, that is coming from the very publication that hyped up said recruiting class and ranked it third in the nation.

Agreed with Berry, though. I think our players definitely are talented (though I question HOW talented) but Berry simply cannot develop players.

justified and we'll know as the season plays out....

regarding the players....I think lack of coaching and failure is now embedded in their heads.....will use a Kevin Stadler ref (just won the Phoenix Open this past weekend and putts with a long putter) "So Kevin what are you going to do when the ban hits in '16? ..... "Well, I have the yips so bad that I'm either going to learn how to putt left handed or just hope I can make enough cash the next two years where I won't give a sh!t"
02-06-2014 03:13 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I can honestly tell you I have zero idea what to expect from ECU this season. Baseball publications can tout Jeff Hoffman all they want, but he's yet to realize his potential. He has a Major League arm, but like they say in the article, he was 6-7 last year.

Unless our bats wake up, we're in for another long year. Just my opinion.
02-06-2014 03:36 PM
Advertisement

eaglenjxn Offline
All American

(02-06-2014 03:36 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  I can honestly tell you I have zero idea what to expect from ECU this season. Baseball publications can tout Jeff Hoffman all they want, but he's yet to realize his potential. He has a Major League arm, but like they say in the article, he was 6-7 last year.

Hoffman will be interesting to watch and certainly you guys have a lot staked on him improvement. He's been good every year but not great.. You have to be better than "good" to win games as a #1 starter. That is my concern with the much less-hyped Conor Fisk. I have no doubt he'll be a solid pitcher this year....but "solid" doesn't win games on Friday night.

Keep in mind, though, that Aaron Blair from Marshall had a ton of preseason hype last year despite going 2-8 the year before. Save for the win-loss record, his numbers as a sophomore looked similar to Hoffman's. Blair definitely proved to be the real deal. Pitchers making a jump from good to elite in their junior year is a pretty common theme. I think Hoffman will end up doing that.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 04:10 PM by eaglenjxn.)
02-06-2014 04:07 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Hoffman is a stud for 7 innings a game. But there's those two innings that he gives up 4-6 runs combined. At least last year anyway.
02-06-2014 04:44 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(02-06-2014 03:36 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  I can honestly tell you I have zero idea what to expect from ECU this season. Baseball publications can tout Jeff Hoffman all they want, but he's yet to realize his potential. He has a Major League arm, but like they say in the article, he was 6-7 last year.

Easy to go 6-7 went you only score 1-2 runs on the other side. The O has to step up and help Hoffman and the entire pitching staff.
02-07-2014 12:42 AM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
UTEP will be undefeated. Book it.
02-07-2014 12:53 AM
stinkfist Offline

(02-07-2014 12:53 AM)STexMiner Wrote:  UTEP will be undefeated. Book it.

lol....riding that ECU vic a tad high, eh? 03-wink
02-07-2014 01:29 AM
Advertisement

MasMack Offline
1st String

USM is a traditionally strong baseball school. Several CUSA championships, something like 12 of last 14 years in the tourny, a college World Series appearance, usually nationally ranked. USM had the #2 recruiting class in the nation 3 years ago, those recruits are going in to their Junior year, and usually have a top 25 class year in and year out. USM is always in the top 15 in attendance each year as well. There is no reason what so ever why we should miss the tourny this year. However, the past two years the team has underachieved big time! And that has left alot of USM fans unhappy and having little confidence in the coaching staff. It's a big year for USM baseball, that's for sure.
02-07-2014 09:11 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(02-07-2014 09:11 AM)MasMack Wrote:  

USM is a traditionally strong baseball school. Several CUSA championships, something like 12 of last 14 years in the tourny, a college World Series appearance, usually nationally ranked. USM had the #2 recruiting class in the nation 3 years ago, those recruits are going in to their Junior year, and usually have a top 25 class year in and year out. USM is always in the top 15 in attendance each year as well. There is no reason what so ever why we should miss the tourny this year. However, the past two years the team has underachieved big time! And that has left alot of USM fans unhappy and having little confidence in the coaching staff. It's a big year for USM baseball, that's for sure.

Last two classes haven't even been in the top 50. So....yeah.
02-07-2014 09:18 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I thought we hit #35 in the last class shifty, and that's why everyone is so po'd at Berry? The man simply cannot head coach to get the best out of everyone (not to mention he would have our big hitters soft-hitting and our speedsters "power hitting".), and I was po'd he refused to replace our hitting coach at the minimum after last year.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 09:30 AM by DaSaintFan.)
02-07-2014 09:30 AM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

(02-07-2014 09:11 AM)MasMack Wrote:  

No reason why this team shouldn't win this year. It's heavy on upper classmen. Six seniors, 16 juniors and another 5 that are redshirt sophomores.
02-07-2014 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.