Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This week
Bookmark and Share
bearcats23 Offline
All American

I Root For: bearcats23
This week
Biggest week of the year possibly? We are going to be sitting pretty with a top ten ranking and we have two very good teams that would love to put the feather in their cap and notch a win against a top ten team.

Obviously I would love if we can win both, but realistically I think we split them. I think we win a hard fought battle against UConn but going to SMU where they are unbeaten will be very, very tough.

Nothing will surprise me this week. I could see us dropping two, splitting, or going 2-0. To be honest I think I would be most surprised if we win both games this week. Either way it's fun as hell watching a top ten team try and extend their streak.

02-03-2014 09:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ThinkBigPine Offline
Dilly Dilly

I Root For: The Bearcats
RE: This week
(02-03-2014 09:02 AM)bearcats23 Wrote:  Biggest week of the year possibly? We are going to be sitting pretty with a top ten ranking and we have two very good teams that would love to put the feather in their cap and notch a win against a top ten team.

Obviously I would love if we can win both, but realistically I think we split them. I think we win a hard fought battle against UConn but going to SMU where they are unbeaten will be very, very tough.

Nothing will surprise me this week. I could see us dropping two, splitting, or going 2-0. To be honest I think I would be most surprised if we win both games this week. Either way it's fun as hell watching a top ten team try and extend their streak.

Really covered all ends of the spectrum there. 02-13-banana

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 09:12 AM by ThinkBigPine.)
02-03-2014 09:12 AM
bearcats23 Offline
All American

I Root For: bearcats23
(02-03-2014 09:12 AM)ThinkBigPine Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 09:02 AM)bearcats23 Wrote:  Biggest week of the year possibly? We are going to be sitting pretty with a top ten ranking and we have two very good teams that would love to put the feather in their cap and notch a win against a top ten team.

Really covered all ends of the spectrum there. 02-13-banana

I will make my official prediction 1-1. I think the streak ends this week.

02-03-2014 09:19 AM
BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I've been figuring we'd lose at SMU since last we played them knowing we'd have a really quick turnaround after the UConn game (After the Louisville game the week before). I just hope they focus and come out and beat UConn.

I also think this week will be the last games we are without Lawrence (Knock on wood). He is close and having the week off next week should help him be fully ready to roll.

02-03-2014 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
indycat Offline
1st String

I think we'll see a much different UC team against UCONN; energized and ready to go. Better shooting and defense will carry the day. We all knew the USF game would be tough on so many levels and the 'Cats survived that test. So I expect UC to beat UCONN @ 5th/3rd.

While I respect SMU and feel they're capable of winning, I don't get the impression that their home court is a big intimidation factor. UC has already beaten that team. So I'll be bullish for a change and say the Bearcats take both games before a well deserved week off.

02-03-2014 10:35 AM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(02-03-2014 10:35 AM)indycat Wrote:  I think we'll see a much different UC team against UCONN; energized and ready to go. Better shooting and defense will carry the day. We all knew the USF game would be tough on so many levels and the 'Cats survived that test. So I expect UC to beat UCONN @ 5th/3rd.

While I respect SMU and feel they're capable of winning, I don't get the impression that their home court is a big intimidation factor. UC has already beaten that team. So I'll be bullish for a change and say the Bearcats take both games before a well deserved week off.

Actually SMU's home court advantage might be the best in the conference this season. To me they are much better team than Memphis due to their balance and coaching and that score over the weekend was no fluke. USF beat them in Tampa but USF's size will always give grind it out teams like SMU and Cincinnati trouble. Good UConn is a top ten team, bad UConn is a team the Bearcats will blow out. Good UConn gets scoring from their bigs with excellent guard play. Bad UConn jacks up wild 3's, doesn't rebound, and looks lost on the court. That being said I expect a team that looks closer to good UConn to show up on Thursday.

02-03-2014 11:26 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
I think fatigue may catch up with us pretty soon here. I think we beat UConn at home and likely lose at SMU. Good team, on the road, short turnaround. Hope I'm wrong though.

02-03-2014 11:45 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Really big week coming up. A sweep and the outright championship really begins to be in sight.

02-03-2014 01:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Yep. This 3-day span will say a lot about the team and potential seeding.

02-03-2014 01:08 PM
Advertisement

Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
At SMU might be the toughest game all year. They will be finishing up 3 straight at home. As we play UConn this Thursday, they will host Temple. Moody will be sold out. 4th game in 10 days for the Cats.

02-03-2014 01:20 PM
indycat Offline
1st String

Didn't realize they were selling out Moody; good for them and for the AAC. Looking in briefly on their game with Memphis I just didn't get the impression that place was really loud or intimidating for the visitors. No doubt, they have an excellent team.

02-03-2014 01:40 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I have this odd feeling we will lose at home to Uconn but will win at SMU.

Uconn has some size. And after Memphis and UL, guessing a sellout at SMU will not rattle them too much.

02-03-2014 01:46 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2014 01:46 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I have this odd feeling we will lose at home to Uconn but will win at SMU.

Uconn has some size. And after Memphis and UL, guessing a sellout at SMU will not rattle them too much.

They may have some size, but it isn't quality offensive size. They have a talented freshman shot blocker but he only plays 15 minutes a game. Deandre Daniels is their starting 4 man, but he is more of a perimeter player and he may not even play due to a high ankle sprain.

Utilize the same switching defense that gave Louisville fits and we'll be ok. They don't have anyone as good as Harrell and their defense (ranked #50 on pomeroy) is nothing special. Play solid on offense, push shooters off the three point line and this should be a win.

02-03-2014 01:59 PM
Advertisement

OkaForPrez Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn
(02-03-2014 01:59 PM)JFlight21 Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 01:46 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I have this odd feeling we will lose at home to Uconn but will win at SMU.

They may have some size, but it isn't quality offensive size. They have a talented freshman shot blocker but he only plays 15 minutes a game. Deandre Daniels is their starting 4 man, but he is more of a perimeter player and he may not even play due to a high ankle sprain.

Utilize the same switching defense that gave Louisville fits and we'll be ok. They don't have anyone as good as Harrell and their defense (ranked #50 on pomeroy) is nothing special. Play solid on offense, push shooters off the three point line and this should be a win.

You seem well educated on the huskies so just a few counterpoints.

Our pick and roll offense has punished teams that have tried to switch every screen on us. A big part of that is a healthy Daniels, so we'll see, but that has not been an effective strategy thus far this year.

By the numbers
we are a very good defensive team. Pomeroy has punished us for early season rebounding woes against mid to low major competition, but if you look at our rebounding performance in conference play its actually pretty good.

Outside of Louisville game where Montrez had his way with our frontcourt and Mike Stuart tossed Ollie, UConn has been playing good to great basketball since returning from the texas massacre.

We played our second teamers from the 10 min mark of the 2nd half and walkons from the under 4 time out without Daniels and beat Houston by 37.

We're starting to gel and this will be a great test. We are very hungry to get our (2nd) top 10 pelt.

02-03-2014 03:12 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2014 03:12 PM)OkaForPrez Wrote:  

Our pick and roll offense has punished teams that have tried to switch every screen on us. A big part of that is a healthy Daniels, so we'll see, but that has not been an effective strategy thus far this year.

By the numbers
we are a very good defensive team. Pomeroy has punished us for early season rebounding woes against mid to low major competition, but if you look at our rebounding performance in conference play its actually pretty good.

Outside of Louisville game where Montrez had his way with our frontcourt and Mike Stuart tossed Ollie, UConn has been playing good to great basketball since returning from the texas massacre.

We played our second teamers from the 10 min mark of the 2nd half and walkons from the under 4 time out without Daniels and beat Houston by 37.

We're starting to gel and this will be a great test. We are very hungry to get our (2nd) top 10 pelt.

Switching works for UC because they have three forwards (Thomas at 6'7, Rubles 6'7 and Jackson 6'8) that can guard on the perimeter. All three are great at moving their feet and staying with smaller guards. Given that the three point shot is such a weapon for UConn's offense, the switching that UC can do would, theoretically, reduce pick and roll ball penetration and allow them to stay out on shooters.

Although UC doesn't have much size or bulk down low, this is a very unique and effective defensive team because of the length and quick that they can defend on the perimeter with. Napier does have a penchant from drawing fouls though, so I'm hopefully Jackson can stay away from those cheap ones when he switches out on him.

02-03-2014 04:07 PM
OkaForPrez Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn
(02-03-2014 04:07 PM)JFlight21 Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 03:12 PM)OkaForPrez Wrote:  

By the numbers

Switching works for UC because they have three forwards (Thomas at 6'7, Rubles 6'7 and Jackson 6'8) that can guard on the perimeter. All three are great at moving their feet and staying with smaller guards. Given that the three point shot is such a weapon for UConn's offense, the switching that UC can do would, theoretically, reduce pick and roll ball penetration and allow them to stay out on shooters.

Although UC doesn't have much size or bulk down low, this is a very unique and effective defensive team because of the length and quick that they can defend on the perimeter with. Napier does have a penchant from drawing fouls though, so I'm hopefully Jackson can stay away from those cheap ones when he switches out on him.

Will be interesting! Strength against strength it would seem. UConn will screen alot through Daniels who can kill you with the pick and pop (48% 3 pt shooter at the 4). Will be just as important a question if you guards can stay with Daniels as it will be your wings staying with the guards.

Napier as you mentioned isn't the quickest but his "herky jerk" motion gets bigger defenders off balance which he uses to get his shot off or get to the line.

Boatright is one of the quickest guards in the american, similar to joe jackson. How did you do against joe?

Will be a great game within the game to watch.

02-03-2014 04:32 PM
DMT Offline
Special Teams

It's very important, if we can get through these two games, the following two we're likely to win; which would put the team at 14-0. Assuming we win the Rutgers game at the end, which we'll also be favored in, that's 15 wins. Leaving only three hard games on the schedule. Win this week and it's likely all locked up for regular season championship. Given the defense, I also like their chances at winning it all when they go to Memphis.

02-03-2014 06:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.