Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Playing amateur meterologist -- I think we will have an ice storm
Bookmark and Share
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Playing amateur meterologist -- I think we will have an ice storm
It's 7:30 a.m. on Sunday and it's already 36 degrees (one temperature said it was 31 degrees). Watching Austin Anek on Channel 3 he was saying that it still doesn't look like it's going to start freezing until early Monday morning and then it won't be much.

But if the cold front has already passed aren't the temperatures just going to get colder? Usually it's like 50 degrees and then it suddenly gets colder and then in an hour or so all the moisture in the air moves out. My point is that it seemed like he gave no warning to anyone that you should be careful this afternoon or late evening if you are driving because there is a chance this could hit early.

But like I say I don't really know anything about weather. Perhaps this is as cold as it's going to get because the moisture is warm.

Also, with the events in Atlanta last week I wonder if the Shelby County school system may overreact just to be extra safe.

By the way, I think the idea of losing days from school was overblown. Although as a kid, the disappointment of not getting a day off for school was always sad. So, it teaches kids a lesson that a lot of times you won't get your way and you just have to get up and go to work.
The problem with education, I believe, has very little with how long the school day is or how long the school year is. It is whether or not the children are actually learning anything while they are there. Students are in school for seven hours a day and also are asked to do homework. I think the guy on 60 minutes who started his own on-line learning sessions has it right. Having a class of 30 students getting the same lesson is time consuming.
02-02-2014 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Playing amateur meterologist -- I think we will have an ice storm
Probably depends on how severe the weather is when it does hit below freezing. Based on my weather app, it'll hit 32 around 8 this evening. The app also suggests that it'll be pouring buckets at that point. But, it'll take temps more like 29-30 to get it to really freeze. It'll get down to that temp, but we'll see if there's still precipitation at that point.

I'm not anticipating much. But, yes, I think the schools will close. The over-reaction of the school boards down here is absurd. If you think your kids will be cold, put another layer on them. The diesel buses won't freeze up at these temps. I can understand the idea of not wanting thousands of kids on the streets if the roads are icy, but make sure they are icy before you pull the trigger. I've heard of a lot of parents that have had to leave work because their kids are out of school. The school boards don't really seem to care about that, though.

Agreed to smoke a butt for the Super Bowl today. Threw it on at 6:30 this morning. That suuuuuucked. I set up a tent to work under, but it wasn't providing much relief.
02-02-2014 09:08 AM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I hear what you are saying. This weather just feels different. The cold weather is already here and we have another 14 hours of precipitation.

I see your point about the school board, but all it takes is one child dying because of icy roads, and they will all be ruined. It depends what time it happens. If they are predicting an ice storm in the middle of the day, you have to have the kids stay home. If the weather comes overnight, you can wait until the morning and see how things look.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 10:23 AM by TIGERBANDIT.)
02-02-2014 10:20 AM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
snow coming down in spades over here in NW Ark....expecting 3-6"
02-02-2014 11:13 AM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-02-2014 11:13 AM)k2tigers Wrote:  snow coming down in spades over here in NW Ark....expecting 3-6"

Wow, stay warm and be careful if you have to drive.
02-02-2014 12:32 PM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
thanks

I got out early this morning and barely beat the mess

whiteout
02-02-2014 01:13 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-02-2014 01:13 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  thanks

I got out early this morning and barely beat the mess

whiteout

Yikes....

I would like to see a little bit here in Memphis though...it's been a while.
02-02-2014 01:24 PM
Advertisement

UofMark Offline
Heisman

Well it's 1115 pm now and the temp here in Memphis is still 34. The rain has just about left the area. I think we're dodging the bad stuff again. It's been 20 years since the massive February 1994 ice storm. Anybody that went through that should be covered the rest of their lives. We went 11 days without power. Dues paid.
02-03-2014 12:13 AM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
stick to sports bandit
weather and the p/r forum don't seem to be your cups of tea
02-03-2014 04:52 PM
Advertisement

TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
(02-03-2014 12:13 AM)UofMark Wrote:  Well it's 1115 pm now and the temp here in Memphis is still 34. The rain has just about left the area. I think we're dodging the bad stuff again. It's been 20 years since the massive February 1994 ice storm. Anybody that went through that should be covered the rest of their lives. We went 11 days without power. Dues paid.

My power was out 7 days and my parents' was out 10. Funny, our utility bill didn't seem to reflect the days off. I guess they bill a certain rate to pay for overtime and the out-of-town crews.
02-03-2014 05:17 PM
Redbanksdog Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2014 12:13 AM)UofMark Wrote:  Well it's 1115 pm now and the temp here in Memphis is still 34. The rain has just about left the area. I think we're dodging the bad stuff again. It's been 20 years since the massive February 1994 ice storm. Anybody that went through that should be covered the rest of their lives. We went 11 days without power. Dues paid.

I will never forget it. Five days with no power and that was before I had the internet. It was an icey wonder land.
02-03-2014 10:57 PM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
looks like bandit is qualified to take over for Dave Brown. Seems about as accurate.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 09:52 AM by MemTigerFan.)
02-04-2014 09:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.