Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

after last night I'll never say anything negative about Guyn again!
Bookmark and Share
icehole3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
after last night I'll never say anything negative about Guyn again!
He has done a complete 180, Mick and the coaching staff deserves a gold certificate for the work they've done this year. I'm firmly in the Guyn fan club. Anyone else?

01-31-2014 05:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bcat80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats

Donators
RE: after last night I'll never say anything negative about Guyn again!
I think Mick and the coaches have done a great job developing the players. Some get it sooner than others. Guyn & Jackson have definitely taken huge steps forward this year.

01-31-2014 05:36 PM
ucbrownsfan Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
(01-31-2014 05:31 PM)icehole3 Wrote:  He has done a complete 180, Mick and the coaching staff deserves a gold certificate for the work they've done this year. I'm firmly in the Guyn fan club. Anyone else?

IMHO, it's hard to say he was great last night after a 6 pt, 1 assist, 1 turnover game, where we had Rubles and JJ dribbling the ball up the court when SK was on the bench against the press.

Still argue he's a valuable player, but more of a 10-15 min / game role player.

01-31-2014 05:44 PM
icehole3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
He went from a turnover machine who could not throw the ball into the ocean to a usable college basketball player. I'm not saying he's first team All-ACC.

01-31-2014 06:09 PM
DMT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
6-13 from 3 his last 4 games, 8-17 overall. I was reminded of his hops when he outleaped everyone for a rebound late last night.
I think he's starting to feel more comfortable scoring. We need him as a ball handler, I don't mind that he, Thomas and Sanders have taken time to develop. They're still a pretty solid class imo. Though, I'll always be left to wonder, what could have been with Octavius Ellis.

01-31-2014 06:15 PM
Overrated Offline
All American

He apparently shoots well in practice, so Mick doesn't mind when he is set and takes a shot, even if he wasn't making them early in the year. And that makes sense given that a lot of his misses seem to rim out. Its not like Titus shooting a jump shot.

01-31-2014 06:17 PM
Advertisement

franzeal Offline
1st String

If only the idiots in the upper decks of our gym would take the same vow.

01-31-2014 09:44 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
We must be watching different players. He made a couple 3's last night. Maybe your expectations are too low.

01-31-2014 09:49 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(01-31-2014 09:44 PM)franzeal Wrote:  If only the idiots in the upper decks of our gym would take the same vow.

Great point.

01-31-2014 09:50 PM
pobearman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Mick has defined roles for the players and they have bought in. Guyn has begun to understand his role and plays within it. I agree he like many others this year have improved a great deal. Mick has grown up as a coach.

01-31-2014 11:20 PM
Mopper Offline
1st String

Last night was the first time all season where Caupain has looked out of sorts (thats Louisville for you), that gave Guyn an opportunity, and he took it with gusto. Troy is still the better player in the short and definitely the long term. But there is a role for Guyn as a secondary ball handler, defender and spot up shooter on this team and next years, he just has to take it.

02-01-2014 01:09 AM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(02-01-2014 01:09 AM)Mopper Wrote:  Last night was the first time all season where Caupain has looked out of sorts (thats Louisville for you), that gave Guyn an opportunity, and he took it with gusto. Troy is still the better player in the short and definitely the long term. But there is a role for Guyn as a secondary ball handler, defender and spot up shooter on this team and next years, he just has to take it.

Seriously, am I missing something? As brownsfan posted, 6 pts, 1 assist, 1 turnover and he barely handled the ball. What is so amazing about that?

And sorry I seriously doubt Mick recruits anyone with the specific intention of them being role players. I know he realizes that some will end up as that but I don't think he seeks them out.

02-01-2014 06:54 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I thought he started awfully. He got toasted on D a few times and got the hook to the bench. Struggled getting the ball inbounds a couple times and got the hook again.

The 2 3s were big, however.

02-01-2014 07:39 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I have always like Guyn because he plays defense. He has improved his shooting and if he can just play within his game, give us great D and hit a couple three's, I'm good. Troy can do the rest.

I've also like Sanders role this year...dude is like 42% from 3pt range....he is contributing. That block at the end of the Temple game was huge. I like that he seems much more aggressive, doesn't seem lost out there and he looks to shoot. He may take forever to release the ball but he doesn't mind shooting in clutch time and he hits them. I'm good with Sanders too.

Really the entire team looks like they know and accept their role and I think Mick is getting maximum output from everybody right now. They are locked in. Mick is coaching his butt off too!

02-01-2014 08:54 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Way to man up Ice 04-bow Yes, as long as GG and Sanders continue to improve, as they have this year, we are in good hands next year, as well as especially this year.

02-01-2014 10:36 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

Im not the worlds biggest G'Lawn fan but people want to make him out to be awful because of what he can't do. He will never be a high level starter but he's certainly a solid contributor and every team needs guys like that. Going forward I like a 25-15 Troy-G'Lawn split but it's an asset to have 2 capable guys at that spot.

02-01-2014 10:56 AM
Advertisement

handwaver Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: cincinnati
I've been a Caupain supporter and a bit of a GG basher, but I must say GG outplayed TC enormously Thursday. TC was out of his depth against Louisville.
GG has a place on the team. Caupain is obviously the future, but he can't be the only point guard on the team.

02-01-2014 12:02 PM
eastside cat Offline
1st String

A good point is not judged by his own stats but how the offense runs. I saw him driving at the zone to open up things and I also saw smart passing. Mick and the staff have done a fantastic job.

02-01-2014 01:50 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

Keep in mind even though Troy looked lost he was still in the game coming down the stretch. Mick said his inbound passing was a key to victory.

02-01-2014 02:24 PM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
Here's the minutes played breakdown for Shaq, Guyn and Sanders for the past two seasons and the season year to date:

Ge Lawn Guyn: 322, 335, 389
Jermaine Sanders: 238, 440, 473
Shaq Thomas: R/S, 356, 511

Sanders has played more minutes than both Guyn and Shaq. Surprised? i am. For most of his career up until now, Sanders has been invisible. Shaq is starting to make an impact now, but was similarly a non-impact player. Why is Guyn being held to a higher standard? He's contributed more than Sanders and Thomas with more regularity prior to this season. i'm not saying he's an all american or even all conference, but i don't get why posters are going after Guyn?

02-01-2014 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.