Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O/T: 'blast from the past' (remembering the late 70s sports @EMU)
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
O/T: 'blast from the past' (remembering the late 70s sports @EMU)
I mentioned to BobW that I would try to find the photographs I took from the late 1970s of the Detroit/EMU game at Bowen. I haven't found them yet. (found almost everything else I was looking).

However, I did find this photograph from probably 1976 or 1977. The game was EMU @ CMU. EMU's unis were patterned after Green Bay (esp. the helmet decal), I think. The crowd was large. CMU was backed up near the goal line and they attempted to punt from their own end zone.

Yes, it would have been would have been an ESPN SportsCenter top 10, if there had been an ESPN.

Wonder if #27 was Ron Johnson? I assume Rodney Slater was on that team, but wouldn't have (probably) been on special teams. #69 was on the ground. The punt blocker's number isn't visible.

#52 for CMU, the center (?), was totally 'clueless' as to what was happening and was going the wrong way. Lol.

Now it gets to be my avatar for a few days... (will dig it out again this fall for CMU week).

I really need to learn how to copy/past to a board message. 03-idea
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014 12:54 PM by emu steve.)
01-30-2014 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: O/T: 'blast from the past' (remembering the late 70s sports @EMU)
Dear steve,
Checking the record books, it is probably 1977, because Eastern played Central at home in 1976. Thus, Eastern would have had the dark jerseys. I think this was the last year of what I call the Boisture uniforms, because he and Athletic Director Ferzaccza came up with the Green Bay look in 1967. I'm pretty sure the were changed somewhat when Mike Stock became the head coach in 1978.
01-30-2014 01:18 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Whatever happened to finding the other pics, Steve? I was interested in seeing some shots from Bowen or other FB pics.
02-14-2014 03:56 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-14-2014 03:56 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Whatever happened to finding the other pics, Steve? I was interested in seeing some shots from Bowen or other FB pics.

Amazing I haven't found them yet... I don't know where I've put them. I seem to have found most/all of my other 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 photographs which I took.

Still looking...
02-14-2014 04:44 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Still looking:

BTW, I did find a photograph I took late 1970s (you will note that there is no advertising on the boards, the old style helmets, etc. etc.). The original is 8 x 10. I just scanned it today.

I believe I took it through (?) the plexiglass around the boards of the old Detroit Olympia. I used 'fast' film and had a fast shutter speed to stop the action, although the Philly goalie actually stopped everything. :(

I'm guessing that #8 is Marcel Dionne, whom I believe was a pint sized hockey player. This is a guess. I believe he played in Detroit early 70s.

EDIT: I found out it isn't Marcel Dionne, but Dennis Polonich. On second thought it makes sense. In the early 70s, I didn't have a 35mm camera and by the 1980s I had left Michigan. Had to be late 70s.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 03:23 AM by emu steve.)
02-17-2014 05:49 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, I found this photograph which EMU SI produced (see my avatar - I need to learn how to create a frame or whatever and paste an image within a post).

I see the Thomas twins. Lorenzo Neely, a BobW favorite. Kory Hallas. Is #54 Marcus Kennedy, sans goggles (He wore goggles which looked like they belonged in an auto factory)?

Of course, the coaches are easy: Ben, Gary and Brian (Miller).
02-20-2014 05:49 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(01-30-2014 01:18 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear steve,
Checking the record books, it is probably 1977, because Eastern played Central at home in 1976. Thus, Eastern would have had the dark jerseys. I think this was the last year of what I call the Boisture uniforms, because he and Athletic Director Ferzaccza came up with the Green Bay look in 1967. I'm pretty sure the were changed somewhat when Mike Stock became the head coach in 1978.

Eastern changed unis in Ed Chlebek's first year (1976).

Green helmets, two white stripes, round EMU logo with Huron head on the sides.

Green home jersey with white numerals and trim (no gold).

White pants with two green stripes.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2014 12:55 PM by MajorHoople.)
02-22-2014 09:54 AM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear steve,
MajorHoople is correct. After checking a media guide from 1976, it is evident that Eastern modified the uniforms and helmet under Chlebek. So, your photo of that particular game at Central would have to have been earlier. Maybe 1975, or 1974. One possible way to narrow the timeline would be to check Central's helmets with the spear. I don't know how long they had them, but they did have that spear logo for at least a few years.
02-22-2014 10:18 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-22-2014 10:18 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear steve,
MajorHoople is correct. After checking a media guide from 1976, it is evident that Eastern modified the uniforms and helmet under Chlebek. So, your photo of that particular game at Central would have to have been earlier. Maybe 1975, or 1974. One possible way to narrow the timeline would be to check Central's helmets with the spear. I don't know how long they had them, but they did have that spear logo for at least a few years.

I'll check the media guide.

Game was at CMU and in 1974 I couldn't have found Rynearson without a map.

Assume 1975???
02-22-2014 12:39 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Central went to Maroon helmets with spear logo-decal in '73.
02-24-2014 12:56 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I have found a couple (still need to find more) photos.

These were of EMU cheerleaders. One is a treasure.
02-24-2014 01:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.