Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

coach
bball4me Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent State
coach
Remember when Sendy was hired the players wanted him. Was that a bad sign????
01-29-2014 09:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
RE: coach
This really saddens me. I can't believe where we have gone. Even worse I can't believe who brought us here. I knew we wouldn't be on top forever and we are truly blessed to be on top for as long as we did, but to come to this is ludacrist.
01-29-2014 09:57 PM
Flash Freak 3 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-29-2014 09:57 PM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  This really saddens me. I can't believe where we have gone. Even worse I can't believe who brought us here. I knew we wouldn't be on top forever and we are truly blessed to be on top for as long as we did, but to come to this is ludacrist.

I like Rob. He's a nice man. IMO, good head coaches don't let what's happening to us actually happen. I'm afraid he may be in over his head. When I look back over the season to date, I'm amazed at this teams tendencies and how slow Rob has adjusted to them:

* Players shot selection...three's at the wrong time, taking off balance three's, driving & leaving their feet with no where to go (turnover), reckless drives to the hoop only to heave up a hopeless shot under the rim, under the board, over the board, on the side of the board, etc.
* Players not knowing how much time is on the shot clock or not having a sense of urgency in this situation. I believe that Brewer let the shot clock run out at Toledo on one possession Sunday and it sure looked like he thought he had more than 5 seconds on the last play last night
* taking 15 games to realize Tabb can't play and that Spicer is a better option
* lack of overall discipline
* poor execution out of time-outs
* excessive fouling (abundance of opponents FT's)

I just don't think a good coach allows all of the above to continually happen in the same season.
01-30-2014 10:56 AM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
I know it is a lot deeper than just one cute little anecdote, but for you guys who have turned so quickly on Senderoff, understand one thing:

He is at a gun fight. And all he has in his hand is a box cutter.
01-30-2014 09:34 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(01-30-2014 09:34 PM)JimJoyce Wrote:  I know it is a lot deeper than just one cute little anecdote, but for you guys who have turned so quickly on Senderoff, understand one thing:

Those issues pointed out above by Flash Freak 3 are very real concerns and totally unrelated to any budgetary concerns. What he brought to the table as an assistant is now lost since he became a head coach; either he needs to find it or the assistants need to step up to address what he did prior to taking on his new role.
01-31-2014 05:56 AM
Advertisement

Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

What I'm disappointed most with this year, is that the players don't seem to have developed any. Brewer, Goodson, Henniger, Manley, Tabb - they're all playing at the same level as last year. They're getting a little more time on the floor, but quality hasn't improved. Ortiz, Spicer and Thomas seem to have stepped up, but aren't getting the minutes to help a lot.

This team looks just like last year's team without Holt and Evans, with Jackson added in.

And there's not much to be optimistic about next year - subtract Henniger and Goodson, add Hall; assume Davis and Hurley won't contribute as freshmen; I don't assume Brewer, Manley, Jackson, or Simmons make a big jump. I don't expect a lot out of Akbar or Vedder. I liked the efforts Lawrence made against Western Michigan, but don't know if he'll ever be a top forward in the MAC. Carter and Scott haven't lived up to their high school/junior college level of play yet. Spicer might get the playing time to make the big jump; I think Thomas is stuck behind Brewer/Manley/Jackson, and won't get much of an opportunity
01-31-2014 10:41 AM
underthestands Offline
Water Engineer

Sendy needs to look at his assistants, they are all young coaches except for Steinburg. So where is the new blood.
01-31-2014 12:07 PM
1st String

And I guess what I really meant to say with my post is that I'm not sure how good Coach Senderoff is doing with recruiting.
01-31-2014 05:20 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
(01-30-2014 09:34 PM)JimJoyce Wrote:  I know it is a lot deeper than just one cute little anecdote, but for you guys who have turned so quickly on Senderoff, understand one thing:

I'm sorry man, but he has good talent on this team. I'm not so sure about next year, but for now, we have a lot of skill. Just very undisciplined and not much in the way of basketball IQ.
01-31-2014 08:55 PM
Advertisement

luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
Bottom line is Sendy is not going any where, barring a complete meltdown, such as only winning 1 or 2 more games. He as won 21 games the last two years and I believe his contract runs for at least 2 or 3 more years. JN is not going to fire him, pay the contract and then have to pay more for the next coach. I believe he will get it turned around, just like last year.

And it starts today against the zits!

GO FLASHES!!!!!!!
02-01-2014 11:23 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
You're probably right. We've seen some flashes this season, these kids just need to string enough together to get going in the right direction. All comes down to getting hot at the right time heading into Cleveland.
02-01-2014 01:57 PM
FunkmasterFlash Offline
1st String

I feel like we finally don't have a good enough coach to hide the lack of investment in the program. We just managed to luck out hiring from within. I like Sendy but I think he's in over his head.
02-01-2014 05:19 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Tonight: Either we hear how we were up 2 at the under eight timeout and just didn't get it done or we are celebrating a victory.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 07:35 PM by fallsdog.)
02-01-2014 07:35 PM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Just didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread. I will say that tonight I watched as Dambrot essentially lost the game for Akron (IMO). Trailing by 1 with 16 secs left the Zits called TO. Then they inbounded the ball in the backcourt to Treadwell who muddled around almost losing the ball only to recover it in enough time to create a frantic situation for Diggs to try to get a shot. After a timeout, you are telling me the plan that was drawn up was to throw the ball to your PF 75 feet from the basket? Does Dambrot know he has a guard on the roster? Goes to show you that all coaches can suck it up from time to time. I think he has done such a poor job with his team this year he should have to give back a COY award!
02-26-2014 09:08 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I don't know. Here are side by side quote comparisons from last night:

"We just didn't play well tonight, I'm not sure why. It's hard to explain."
-This or something similar has been the company line all year.

"We built this program on toughness." "Now we're going to find out if we have any."
-Something like this would be nice to hear for a change.
02-27-2014 02:08 PM
Flash Freak 3 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-27-2014 02:08 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  I don't know. Here are side by side quote comparisons from last night:

"We just didn't play well tonight, I'm not sure why. It's hard to explain."
-This or something similar has been the company line all year.

"We built this program on toughness." "Now we're going to find out if we have any."
-Something like this would be nice to hear for a change.

I agree with you that Sendy has had a tough time getting our boys to do what he wants and often times he's been at a loss in trying to explain why. I'm not a coach but in his defense, I have seen strange things this season that I have never seen before:
* Henniger makes 40 straight FT's and then barely makes 50% the rest of the season
* Brewer goes 1-20 then hits 11 of his next 12 three's
* in shooting lay-ups, team hits underneath rim and side of rim as much as the top of rim
* Team shoots 3's better than lay-ups
* Fans at a home game booo when Sendy puts Goodson back in game (me included!). I think that's the game where Goodson went on to go glass for the winning three!
01-lauramac2
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 09:57 PM by Flash Freak 3.)
02-27-2014 09:56 PM
1st String

It's seems that they're following a pattern that many young, inexperienced players get into - they have a quick burst of success at something - making layups, free throws, 3 pointers, whatever - then they think they can keep doing that with no effort, and end up missing a lot in a row. They then figure out they need to do a lot of repetitions in practice, and take a bit more care doing it during games, and know when they should do it during games.

I think some of the players think they can make layups, but I've seen them try it a lot when even professional players can't do it - going into heavy traffic with a guarded route to the basket.
02-28-2014 07:59 AM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies
When I observed this team during the first 10-12 games, in my mind I had predicted that there was so much young depth and talent, that with expected maturity, we would be in the Conference hunt at this time. I now have to admit that this team has fooled and disappointed me more than any that I can ever remember. I now ask the following questions about what has really happened:

-Do we have at least one all MAC player on the team? NO!
-Do we have a player that would start for others? I do not see it! The sad part about this Q&A is that we had 3 seniors and I do not believe that any of them could have been a help to any other MAC team.
-Should this team have been coached differently? Probably should have re evaluated the "players value to the team" earlier. My value to the team is: 1-Kellon Thomas, 2-K Spicer, 3-Jackson, 4-K Brewer, 5-Henniger, 6-Ortiz, 7-KK Simmons, 8-Goodson... If this rating is close to true, it tells us a lot about what went wrong this season.
-Do I blame the coach for this season? Not really. Trying to develop leadership from seniors is the correct approach. From a coaching point, who of our players would I have offered a scholarship to: -Brewer, yes -Thomas, yes -Spicer, yes -Jackson, yes -Ortiz, yes -Others, not sure.

Am I nuts?
02-28-2014 12:41 PM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KSU
(02-28-2014 12:41 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  When I observed this team during the first 10-12 games, in my mind I had predicted that there was so much young depth and talent, that with expected maturity, we would be in the Conference hunt at this time. I now have to admit that this team has fooled and disappointed me more than any that I can ever remember. I now ask the following questions about what has really happened:

-Do we have at least one all MAC player on the team? NO!
-Do we have a player that would start for others? I do not see it! The sad part about this Q&A is that we had 3 seniors and I do not believe that any of them could have been a help to any other MAC team.
-Should this team have been coached differently? Probably should have re evaluated the "players value to the team" earlier. My value to the team is: 1-Kellon Thomas, 2-K Spicer, 3-Jackson, 4-K Brewer, 5-Henniger, 6-Ortiz, 7-KK Simmons, 8-Goodson... If this rating is close to true, it tells us a lot about what went wrong this season.
-Do I blame the coach for this season? Not really. Trying to develop leadership from seniors is the correct approach. From a coaching point, who of our players would I have offered a scholarship to: -Brewer, yes -Thomas, yes -Spicer, yes -Jackson, yes -Ortiz, yes -Others, not sure.

Am I nuts?
Interesting thoughts. I feel like I started seeing the coaching turnstile hit us maybe last year and certainly this year. I don't see an all MAC player. I feel recruiting has suffered, and for me, my interest has suffered. Maybe broader fan interest has suffered too. I didn't feel excited by the transfers. As the year wore on the lack of an inside game made it hard for me to watch, and then there's the foul shooting and a lack of ability to get to the foul line. Hard to say where the blame lies or what pieces we need - it's easy to see what a lack of an inside game has done to OSU
02-28-2014 02:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.