Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Did anyone just see Jeorpardy today!!! Interesting strategy
Bookmark and Share
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Did anyone just see Jeorpardy today!!! Interesting strategy
It finished in a tie between a man and a woman. Both finished with $26,000.

I have been watching Jeopardy most of my life, and had never seen this. Or if I had, it didn't occur to me.

What was weird about it was the guy who won, the defending champ, seemed to intentionally let the woman tie him. He basically just gave her $26,000. She doubled her money to catch him on Final Jeopardy on a question about world capitals. When you have the lead going into final jeopardy, assuming you are comfortable with the topic, the strategy is always to make sure you finish with at least $1 more than your appointment. What this guy did was basically say, "Why don't I let her win too, if she answers the question right."

I think this was a pretty altruistic move, but he basically had nothing to lose. If I am not mistaken, if two players tie both players get their money and get to come back the next day. If you want to be cynical about it, this move could work if you think you are a better player than the person you let tie you. This is because you get to compete against them again the next day, and are guaranteed to be going up against an inferior opponent.

Do the people who run Jeopardy have a problem with this if it true? For one, they just gave away another $26,000 which even though the show is hugely successful financially is still a good chunk of change. It also, you could argue, throws a wrench into the spirit of the game. It's always been a given that each player goes into the game trying his or her best to win.

Now, I think you could argue that given the rules of the game, the morally right thing to do is let the other person tie you. Not only will they not be crushed for losing in something they obviously invested a lot in, but also helping someone else get $26,000 could really help any family in today's day and age. You have nothing to lose by doing it, especially if you think you are a much better player than your opponent.

No one else may care, but I thought what I just saw was pretty interesting and raised a number of questions.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 05:23 PM by TIGERBANDIT.)
01-29-2014 05:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DenverTigerFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Did anyone just see Jeorpardy today!!! Interesting strategy
If it was intentional, that's cool with me.

I don't consider it to be dirty.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 07:20 PM by DenverTigerFan.)
01-29-2014 07:13 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(01-29-2014 05:18 PM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  It finished in a tie between a man and a woman. Both finished with $26,000.

I have been watching Jeopardy most of my life, and had never seen this. Or if I had, it didn't occur to me.

What was weird about it was the guy who won, the defending champ, seemed to intentionally let the woman tie him. He basically just gave her $26,000. She doubled her money to catch him on Final Jeopardy on a question about world capitals. When you have the lead going into final jeopardy, assuming you are comfortable with the topic, the strategy is always to make sure you finish with at least $1 more than your appointment. What this guy did was basically say, "Why don't I let her win too, if she answers the question right."

I think this was a pretty altruistic move, but he basically had nothing to lose. If I am not mistaken, if two players tie both players get their money and get to come back the next day. If you want to be cynical about it, this move could work if you think you are a better player than the person you let tie you. This is because you get to compete against them again the next day, and are guaranteed to be going up against an inferior opponent.

Do the people who run Jeopardy have a problem with this if it true? For one, they just gave away another $26,000 which even though the show is hugely successful financially is still a good chunk of change. It also, you could argue, throws a wrench into the spirit of the game. It's always been a given that each player goes into the game trying his or her best to win.

Now, I think you could argue that given the rules of the game, the morally right thing to do is let the other person tie you. Not only will they not be crushed for losing in something they obviously invested a lot in, but also helping someone else get $26,000 could really help any family in today's day and age. You have nothing to lose by doing it, especially if you think you are a much better player than your opponent.

No one else may care, but I thought what I just saw was pretty interesting and raised a number of questions.

$26k is a drop in the bucket compared to the buzz that might be created by people who saw it and talk to people about the uniqueness of the situation building their audience.

Remember, Jeopardy's biggest hit of the last twenty years was Ken Jennings winning for so long and that was a happy accident. You might think it would suck to have the same guy every day for months, but that caused Jeopardy to get much more press and bigger audience than usual.
01-30-2014 07:19 AM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
I'm not understanding what he did to let her win.
It's early yet. Maybe I'm not awake. What exactly happened then?
01-30-2014 10:30 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(01-30-2014 10:30 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  I'm not understanding what he did to let her win.
It's early yet. Maybe I'm not awake. What exactly happened then?

He basically let her tie him (by opting to not answer a question) so they could BOTH come back tomorrow, but he knows...or thinks he knows, at least, that he COULD have beaten her today.

So, both of them won today, and then both get to come back to have a chance to win even MORE money on day 2.
01-30-2014 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I didn't see where he mentioned the dude didn't answer the question.
so they were tied at 26
he didn't answer the question
and she got it wrong?

is that what happened?

I think I need an outline. or some sentence diagramming or SOMETHING
01-30-2014 12:18 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(01-30-2014 12:18 PM)Willie Becton Wrote:  I didn't see where he mentioned the dude didn't answer the question.
so they were tied at 26
and she got it wrong?

is that what happened?

I guess you are more suited for Wheel of Fortune.
01-30-2014 03:41 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
You'll love the ending of this episode.

01-30-2014 03:47 PM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Let me explain.

Both players answered the Final Jeopardy question correctly.

Whoever is leading going into Final Jeopardy will definitely win if he or she wagers one dollar more than what the person in second place can win if the person in second place gets the question right and doubles the money. That is why a lot of times the game comes down to a $1 difference. Probably about 30 percent of the shows come down to a $1 difference I would guess. Sometimes the guy leading going into Final Jeopardy has more than double what the second place person has. In that case he or she has automatically won the game because the other person can't reach him. Unless he does something stupid and bets too big, which I don't think I can remember happening.

What made Wednesday so interesting was this was the first time I have noticed the winner not going for the $1 dollar difference and the win. He was fine with the tie. Throughout the years everyone else I have noticed took the complete win. He basically just shared $26,000 with the woman.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014 04:42 PM by TIGERBANDIT.)
01-30-2014 04:40 PM
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(01-30-2014 12:18 PM)Willie Becton Wrote:  I didn't see where he mentioned the dude didn't answer the question.
so they were tied at 26
and she got it wrong?

is that what happened?

sorry; he bet an amount that would cause her to tie him if she got it right.
01-30-2014 04:42 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2014 04:42 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
so they were tied at 26
and she got it wrong?

is that what happened?

sorry; he bet an amount that would cause her to tie him if she got it right.

I've often wondered why more contestants don't do this. I think it comes down to why wouldn't you want to win instead of tie? You're going to lose if you miss the question and if that same person beats you the next day you'll feel like a fool
01-30-2014 09:54 PM
Cletus Online
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2014 03:47 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  You'll love the ending of this episode.

Thanks that's always been a fantasy ..............

[Image: burnett-v2-gif_002459.gif]
01-30-2014 10:14 PM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Obviously if the people at Jeopardy have a problem with this they could easily make a new rule that says in the event of a tie both players split the money.

My main point is that guy on Tuesday really should be commended for what he did. Based on the rules of the game, beating an opponent by $1 is pure greed given the fact that if you allow her to tie you, then you both pocket a whole lot of cash (in this case $26,000 each)
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2014 02:05 AM by TIGERBANDIT.)
01-31-2014 02:05 AM
Advertisement

TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
In case you were wondering, this guy won again on Thursday--soundly defeating the lady he let tie him-- but unfortunately he won in a runaway. This means he had more than double the amount of any of his opponents before final jeopardy. However, I was thinking if he wanted to he could have, even in this situation, give his opponents a chance at life. He could have done this by wagering a wager that even if he lost would still guarantee that he tied the person who doubled their wager and had a correct answer. But no one answered the question correctly. It was that Julia Louis Dreifus, of Seinfield fame, is the only actress to win three emmys in comedy from three different TV shows.

I am really curious to see what he does on Friday if he is in the same situation that he was in on Wednesday.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2014 02:18 AM by TIGERBANDIT.)
01-31-2014 02:12 AM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
One more point.

When they were interviewing the players. Alex made the comment that "apparently you like playing with this woman." I think he was playing off what just happened.

I am arguing, obviously, that it was premeditated. If you have ever seen the movie White Men Can't Jump, it depicts a woman who spent a lot of time planning for this show. I think there are some contestants who are somewhat similar to this character,

I think this guy, having spent a lot of time considering the consequences of the game, realizes that it is borderline unethical to beat someone by a buck when there is no real harm in letting the person tie you and also win thousands of dollars just like you.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2014 02:38 AM by TIGERBANDIT.)
01-31-2014 02:37 AM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2014 03:41 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  
so they were tied at 26
and she got it wrong?

is that what happened?

I guess you are more suited for Wheel of Fortune.

I'm actually VERY good at that game.
You're right, though, kid. I must be a moron since he didn't explain it very well the first time.
01-wingedeagle
01-31-2014 09:08 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
(01-31-2014 02:05 AM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  My main point is that guy on Tuesday really should be commended for what he did. Based on the rules of the game, beating an opponent by $1 is pure greed given the fact that if you allow her to tie you, then you both pocket a whole lot of cash (in this case $26,000 each)

What? The point of a game is to win, even if there is no prize involved. I don't want to tie. I want to win.
01-31-2014 09:30 AM
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(01-31-2014 02:05 AM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  Obviously if the people at Jeopardy have a problem with this they could easily make a new rule that says in the event of a tie both players split the money.

My main point is that guy on Tuesday really should be commended for what he did. Based on the rules of the game, beating an opponent by $1 is pure greed given the fact that if you allow her to tie you, then you both pocket a whole lot of cash (in this case $26,000 each)

It's not even greed because it's not like you get a cut of their money. It's more like selfishness. If you know you are better than them, you help yourself by making them your opponent in the next episode you tape, increasing the likelihood you make more money off the show.
01-31-2014 10:11 AM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
And here it is. He wasn't being altruistic. It's game theory. I knew something was fishy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/villain-h...d=22350281
02-04-2014 01:26 PM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Although I don't understand how he increased his odds by 25 percent going for the tie instead of the win. Keith Jennings said it's because the opponent knows he was going for the tie. How did the lady who tied him know he was going for the tie?
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 01:43 PM by TIGERBANDIT.)
02-04-2014 01:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.