Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Should Have Been
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
What Should Have Been
What should have happened if university leaders knew many years ago how public education, athletics, and conference affiliation would look and work today? Here is what I see (this is just for fun, guys... don't beat up on it too much):

The Pacific Athletic Conference

1) The states of Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and New Mexico took a cue from Big 10 states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois and established only one major international university where almost all of their high level academic, athletic, and branding efforts were focused. With that narrow focus, those states could now have that one school with every bit the resources, potential, and results of the University of Utah (top 125 academics, solid following, over half a billion in endowments, and over $50 million annual athletic revenue). The flagship for Idaho would have been in or near Boise, and Nevada would be in Las Vegas. The rest are fine as-is.

2) Having used the same strategy, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Utah are even more powerful and are on or near the same off-the-field level as Cal and UCLA. Considering where Washington now stands, they could be the top dog of the conference under such circumstances. All of the western states except California have less than 7 million residents, so there is no need for more than one power conference school.

3) Encourage collaboration with Hawaii and Alaska as associate members and use them as incredible road trip recruiting tools.

4) Wyoming had the right idea to only have one 4 year university, but they need some time to grow the population. They are your future expansion project. If the conference wants a good chunk of Texas for network and recruiting purposes, there is a school in Lubbock that fancies themselves as true westerners. I'm sure they'd listen. Heck, let's throw them in there to make 14 schools.

PAC members:

Stanford University
Texas Tech University
The University of Arizona
The University of California - Berkeley
The University of California - Los Angeles
The University of Colorado
The University of Idaho
The University of Montana
The University of Nevada
The University of New Mexico
The University of Oregon
The University of Southern California
The University of Utah
The University of Washington

Affiliate Members:

The University of Alaska
The University of Hawaii

Potential Future Members:

Brigham Young University (after a bit of secularization... never say never)
The University of Wyoming

Population in member state footprint: 100,011,995 (with a big asterisk for the 26 million people included from the state of Texas)
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 05:21 PM by bigblueblindness.)
01-29-2014 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

RE: What Should Have Been
What should have happened if university leaders knew many years ago how public education, athletics, and conference affiliation would look and work today? Here is what I see (this is just for fun, guys... don't beat up on it too much):

The Big Ten Conference

1) The states of Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Missouri did the right thing all along... as relatively small population states, put all of your eggs into one basket. Illinois is a larger population state, but much of it is Chicago where college athletics is insignificant, and Northwestern captures much of the population that does care. Right call, Illinois, to concentrate on your flagship.

2) Kudos to the states of Kansas, Iowa, and Indiana... you are relatively small population states that produced 6 very good schools and athletic programs. In hindsight, though, you could have concentrated on one school and produced a single powerhouse. We are correcting that decision. Purdue, Iowa State, and Kansas State, you are not going away... you are just being consolidated (sorry if that sounds too much like an efficiency consultant that may have visited some of your offices in past years...)

3) Michigan... the cards are murky. You have been a powerhouse state with a high population, but recent trends are not in your favor. Is this a temporary cycle or an everlasting inevitability? I am going with the former... good decision to produce two excellent universities that can be considered powerhouses in their own regard. Ohio, you have been making a mistake by putting all of your eggs into one basket. As a penalty, we are moving the University of Ohio to the city of Cincinnati. They are now what they would have been had you not been holding all of your public universities down... they are a peer in almost every way to Michigan State.

4) Until recently, when a child asked "Which states are the Midwest?", the answer was "The Big Ten". We are returning to those days and even making it more complete. State of Kansas, welcome home. State of Missouri, you can go both Midwest or Southern, and that is to your advantage. In terms of geography, academic similarities, and peer academics, you will be Midwestern. Congratulations or Sorry, depending on who you ask.

5) Oh, Pennsylvania... what to do with you. Your demographics can handle two powerful universities, but when I think of the Midwest, I think of one place... Pittsburgh. State of Pennsylvania, you are in the Big 10, but it is not your State university.

6) Notre Dame, I intervened before any school made disparaging religious remarks to you 100 years ago, so you harbor no ill will toward almost every school of note that surrounds you. Notre Dame, meet Northwestern. Northwestern, meet Notre Dame. Now play nice and be the rivalry that should have been. I even brought your buddy, Pittsburgh, along, Notre Dame, just so you feel more comfortable.

7) North and South Dakota, I'm pulling for you, but I just don't know if you are going to make it. However, as the optimist, you will enter a golden era when your natural resources are allowed to be tapped, and major energy magnates will energize (pun intended) your states as happened in years past for so many of your Midwestern brethren. You are affiliate members that we will help groom into #16 and #17 down the road. Nebraska and Minnesota are nice folks, and they'll help you along. By the way, we need you both to consolidate your flagship and state schools immediately just to get to affiliate status and locate in Fargo and Sioux Falls for travel and other purposes... sorry about that.

Big Ten Members:

Northwestern University
Michigan State University
The Ohio State University
The University of Illinois
The University of Indiana
The University of Iowa
The University of Kansas
The University of Michigan
The University of Minnesota
The University of Missouri
The University of Nebraska
The University of Notre Dame
The University of Ohio (now located in Cincinnati)
The University of Pittsburgh
The University of Wisconsin

Affiliate Members:

The University of North Dakota (now located in Fargo)
The University of South Dakota (now located in Sioux Falls)

Population in member state footprint: 68,825,691, and I don't even know how to measure the academic prowess.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 05:22 PM by bigblueblindness.)
01-29-2014 05:20 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-29-2014 04:23 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  What should have happened if university leaders knew many years ago how public education, athletics, and conference affiliation would look and work today? Here is what I see (this is just for fun, guys... don't beat up on it too much):

The Pacific Athletic Conference

1) The states of Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and New Mexico took a cue from Big 10 states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois and established only one major international university where almost all of their high level academic, athletic, and branding efforts were focused. With that narrow focus, those states could now have that one school with every bit the resources, potential, and results of the University of Utah (top 125 academics, solid following, over half a billion in endowments, and over $50 million annual athletic revenue). The flagship for Idaho would have been in or near Boise, and Nevada would be in Las Vegas. The rest are fine as-is.

2) Having used the same strategy, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Utah are even more powerful and are on or near the same off-the-field level as Cal and UCLA. Considering where Washington now stands, they could be the top dog of the conference under such circumstances. All of the western states except California have less than 7 million residents, so there is no need for more than one power conference school.

3) Encourage collaboration with Hawaii and Alaska as associate members and use them as incredible road trip recruiting tools.

4) Wyoming had the right idea to only have one 4 year university, but they need some time to grow the population. They are your future expansion project. If the conference wants a good chunk of Texas for network and recruiting purposes, there is a school in Lubbock that fancies themselves as true westerners. I'm sure they'd listen. Heck, let's throw them in there to make 14 schools.

PAC members:

Stanford University
Texas Tech University
The University of Arizona
The University of California - Berkeley
The University of California - Los Angeles
The University of Colorado
The University of Idaho
The University of Montana
The University of Nevada
The University of New Mexico
The University of Oregon
The University of Southern California
The University of Utah
The University of Washington

Affiliate Members:

The University of Alaska
The University of Hawaii

Potential Future Members:

Brigham Young University (after a bit of secularization... never say never)
The University of Wyoming

Population in member state footprint: 100,011,995 (with a big asterisk for the 26 million people included from the state of Texas)

The University of Idaho and University of Nevada (Reno) are their flagships. Just that other parts of the state grew faster.
01-29-2014 05:43 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Could Idaho and co really hang with some of those other pac schools though?
01-29-2014 05:46 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

The Southeastern Conference

1) Wow, this will be easy. Oklahoma, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Kentucky... why are you supporting two major programs? Combine them, and you all have a single stellar school.

2) West Virginia... what exactly are you, and where do you fit? Heck if I know, but Morgantown never gave off a Southern vibe. I'll introduce you to some folks later.

3) North Carolina and Virginia... remember when we used to be tight? Yeah, it's been a while, and many of your residents want to come home. I know many of you don't feel quite so cozy down here anymore, though. No hard feelings. Let's do this... you justify have two great schools. Let two come home, and the other two can stay home, as it were.

4) Georgia Tech, does anyone outside of your alum and those within 1 mile of your campus care about you? Well, you are a pretty great school, so we'll give it a chance. Don't push it, though.

5) Alabama... how the heck did you get two programs that each generate more than $100 million in athletic revenue per year? You are the anomaly. Congratulations, you both stay.

6) Florida, congrats on jumping New York as the 3rd most populated state. You both stay. Texas, I think you should consolidate... kidding, kidding. Welcome, Bevo. Aggie, put the guns down...

7) Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee, right call on sticking with your flagship.

8) Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, Baylor, TCU, and Miami... this is going to be hard to explain, but here's the thing: In revisionist history, your athletic programs never really took off. If you really think about it, none of you did very much athletically until pretty recently (my apologies to the Baylor men's basketball teams of the late 1940's), so you never were much of a factor. There are some excellent schools around you, though, that if you just ignore recent athletic achievements, actually look very much like you. I'd like to introduce you to SMU, Tulsa, Rice, and Tulane. They're good people.

SEC members:

Auburn University
Florida State University
Georgia Tech
Louisiana State University
North Carolina State University
Texas A&M University
The University of Alabama
The University of Arkansas
The University of Florida
The University of Georgia
The University of Kentucky
The University of Mississippi
The University of Oklahoma
The University of South Carolina
The University of Tennessee
The University of Texas
Virginia Tech

Population in member state footprint: A lot (got tired of adding these up)
01-29-2014 05:52 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(01-29-2014 05:43 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-29-2014 04:23 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  What should have happened if university leaders knew many years ago how public education, athletics, and conference affiliation would look and work today? Here is what I see (this is just for fun, guys... don't beat up on it too much):

The University of Idaho and University of Nevada (Reno) are their flagships. Just that other parts of the state grew faster.

I know... "What Should Have Been" is the operative phrase here.
01-29-2014 05:53 PM
Advertisement

Proud Bammer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Yet Another NC
"4) Georgia Tech, does anyone outside of your alum and those within 1 mile of your campus care about you? Well, you are a pretty great school, so we'll give it a chance. Don't push it, though."

Their fight song's chorus includes the line "I drink my whiskey clear." That's all they need.
01-29-2014 07:27 PM
sundodger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bow Down!
Uh when exactly does your revisionist history start? You do understand that for more than 40 years starting in the early 1900's Florida State was an all women's college? It started Co-Ed but because of consolidation similar to what you hypothesize became all female while UofF became all male.

You also realize that Duke was a national football power in the 30's and early 40's.
01-29-2014 09:01 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Fascinating alternative history.

I'd like to point out that Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pitt did not start out as state schools. They were municipal schools (along with Houston, Wichita, Memphis, Toledo, Akron, and many others), meaning they were sponsored by their cities. The municipal schools didn't get rolled into the state systems until the 60s or even the 70s in some cases.

So is your alternate history saying that the munies should have never existed? Or that Pitt and UC became state-sponsored schools 80 years earlier?
01-29-2014 10:05 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(01-29-2014 05:20 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  What should have happened if university leaders knew many years ago how public education, athletics, and conference affiliation would look and work today? Here is what I see (this is just for fun, guys... don't beat up on it too much):

The Big Ten Conference

1) The states of Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Missouri did the right thing all along... as relatively small population states, put all of your eggs into one basket. Illinois is a larger population state, but much of it is Chicago where college athletics is insignificant, and Northwestern captures much of the population that does care. Right call, Illinois, to concentrate on your flagship.

2) Kudos to the states of Kansas, Iowa, and Indiana... you are relatively small population states that produced 6 very good schools and athletic programs. In hindsight, though, you could have concentrated on one school and produced a single powerhouse. We are correcting that decision. Purdue, Iowa State, and Kansas State, you are not going away... you are just being consolidated (sorry if that sounds too much like an efficiency consultant that may have visited some of your offices in past years...)

3) Michigan... the cards are murky. You have been a powerhouse state with a high population, but recent trends are not in your favor. Is this a temporary cycle or an everlasting inevitability? I am going with the former... good decision to produce two excellent universities that can be considered powerhouses in their own regard. Ohio, you have been making a mistake by putting all of your eggs into one basket. As a penalty, we are moving the University of Ohio to the city of Cincinnati. They are now what they would have been had you not been holding all of your public universities down... they are a peer in almost every way to Michigan State.

4) Until recently, when a child asked "Which states are the Midwest?", the answer was "The Big Ten". We are returning to those days and even making it more complete. State of Kansas, welcome home. State of Missouri, you can go both Midwest or Southern, and that is to your advantage. In terms of geography, academic similarities, and peer academics, you will be Midwestern. Congratulations or Sorry, depending on who you ask.

5) Oh, Pennsylvania... what to do with you. Your demographics can handle two powerful universities, but when I think of the Midwest, I think of one place... Pittsburgh. State of Pennsylvania, you are in the Big 10, but it is not your State university.

6) Notre Dame, I intervened before any school made disparaging religious remarks to you 100 years ago, so you harbor no ill will toward almost every school of note that surrounds you. Notre Dame, meet Northwestern. Northwestern, meet Notre Dame. Now play nice and be the rivalry that should have been. I even brought your buddy, Pittsburgh, along, Notre Dame, just so you feel more comfortable.

7) North and South Dakota, I'm pulling for you, but I just don't know if you are going to make it. However, as the optimist, you will enter a golden era when your natural resources are allowed to be tapped, and major energy magnates will energize (pun intended) your states as happened in years past for so many of your Midwestern brethren. You are affiliate members that we will help groom into #16 and #17 down the road. Nebraska and Minnesota are nice folks, and they'll help you along. By the way, we need you both to consolidate your flagship and state schools immediately just to get to affiliate status and locate in Fargo and Sioux Falls for travel and other purposes... sorry about that.

Big Ten Members:

Northwestern University
Michigan State University
The Ohio State University
The University of Illinois
The University of Indiana
The University of Iowa
The University of Kansas
The University of Michigan
The University of Minnesota
The University of Missouri
The University of Nebraska
The University of Notre Dame
The University of Ohio (now located in Cincinnati)
The University of Pittsburgh
The University of Wisconsin

Affiliate Members:

The University of North Dakota (now located in Fargo)
The University of South Dakota (now located in Sioux Falls)

Population in member state footprint: 68,825,691, and I don't even know how to measure the academic prowess.

Ohio is a funny state. There's a LOT of people, but no one outside of Columbus gives a darn about the rest of the state. So just plopping a school in one of the large cities won't get you much support elsewhere. Under your scenario, Toledo and most of Appalachia will not root for either of the flagship Ohio schools.

If I was trying to come up with ideal locations for two Ohio schools that would combine to attract much of the state, I'd pick Hillsboro and Sandusky.

Hillsboro would get attention from Cincy, Dayton, and most of Appalachia (although some of Eastern Appalachia would become WVU fans, they're probably lost under any scenario and that's the smallest and poorest region of the state anyways). If it was anywhere farther from Cincy then no one in Cincy would care, and anywhere farther West would lose all attention from East of Portsmouth.

Sandusky is unique because everyone in Toledo and Cleveland already claims it as their own (because Cedar Point is there). It's pretty much the only place that unites NE Ohio (all factories) and NW Ohio (all farms except Toledo, which has more Lions, Tigers, and Wolverines fans than Indians, Browns, and Buckeyes). Hell, even people as far east as Youngstown will eagerly claim Sandusky as part of their region.

In this scenario, Columbus would probably be split, with a slight edge to the school in Wilmington. This edge in Columbus would make the schools about even. Also, UK would become stronger as fewer Northern Kentuckians will root for a school in Wilmington than one in Cincinnati. So they'd turn to Lexington for their college sports.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 10:27 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
01-29-2014 10:22 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Exclamation RE: What Should Have Been
In almost every state its the same format.

1) Land Grant School(s)
2) Regional Residential Schools
3) City Schools

What you see happen in the higher population states is that sometimes the regional schools or city schools represent a unique region of the state and take an independent path an higher than usual enrollment and/or academic profile.

That is how the Southern Miss and East Carolina's got going and then their regional distance allowed them to build FBS level fan support. This is largely the story for the G5.

In some cases the situation is more complex. Ohio and Miami University where established 70 years before Ohio State and those were the schools with the historic campuses. They served an elitist role in the state system over a regional role.

The MAC loaded up with Ohio schools because it was supposed to be a regional conference like the CAA, organized around competing in basketball. When the 1AA/1A split occurred, instead of a few schools moving up while others staying down the entire league was allowed to move up, mainly to ally with the Big Ten on voting issues.
01-30-2014 01:11 AM
Advertisement

Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
Oh dear, the ky. fan doesn't seem to think there's a place for UofL in his pipe-dream future. Whatever shall we do... 03-talktothehand
01-30-2014 02:12 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(01-30-2014 02:12 AM)Crimsonelf Wrote:  Oh dear, the ky. fan doesn't seem to think there's a place for UofL in his pipe-dream future. Whatever shall we do... 03-talktothehand

Work on "what should have been" -- the proposed Raycom Superconference.

Cincinnati
Florida State
Louisville
Memphis State
South Carolina
Southern Miss
Tulane
Virginia Tech
Boston College
East Carolina
Miami
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
West Virginia

Dang near perfect
01-30-2014 10:21 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-30-2014 10:21 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  
(01-30-2014 02:12 AM)Crimsonelf Wrote:  Oh dear, the ky. fan doesn't seem to think there's a place for UofL in his pipe-dream future. Whatever shall we do... 03-talktothehand

Work on "what should have been" -- the proposed Raycom Superconference.

Cincinnati
Florida State
Louisville
Memphis State
South Carolina
Southern Miss
Tulane
Virginia Tech
Boston College
East Carolina
Miami
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
West Virginia

Dang near perfect

Yep. Circa 1991, I think. Maybe earlier. Anyway, I would have voted for it.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014 02:50 PM by TripleA.)
01-30-2014 02:49 PM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville

At least he freely admits to wearing his solid blue glasses.
01-30-2014 04:09 PM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
Actually you can trace most of this to the mismanagement of the B8-B12 -

In 1990 Arkansas wanted out of the SWAC to get away from Texas and asked to join the Big 8 - the Big 8 said NO.

Had this happened, come 1996, Texas and A&M and TTU come in.

The balance of power is shifted just enough that Nebraska may leave, but the SEC probably plucks Arkansas ahead of Mizzou. Colorado may have gone as well, but you are still left with an in-tact 10-team nucleas, which could easily add Baylor and TCU and remain a compact-enough 12 team league to not invite any more poaching.
01-30-2014 04:11 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(01-30-2014 04:11 PM)jgkojak Wrote:  Actually you can trace most of this to the mismanagement of the B8-B12 -

In 1990 Arkansas wanted out of the SWAC to get away from Texas and asked to join the Big 8 - the Big 8 said NO.

Had this happened, come 1996, Texas and A&M and TTU come in.

The balance of power is shifted just enough that Nebraska may leave, but the SEC probably plucks Arkansas ahead of Mizzou. Colorado may have gone as well, but you are still left with an in-tact 10-team nucleas, which could easily add Baylor and TCU and remain a compact-enough 12 team league to not invite any more poaching.

Actually that scenario would have guaranteed A&M being able to join the SEC back in the early 90s like we always wanted to do instead of having to wait till recently, so I'm all for it! We never should have spent one day in the Big 12.
01-30-2014 05:54 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I'm not much of a fan for the 'eggs in one basket' style of flagship. OSU has dominated Ohio forever, and it's at the expense of the other state schools that are cut to the bone when the budget gets tight (for reference, only 8% of Miami's funding is from the state). Having such an influential state school (in the capital no less) really makes the higher education system unbalanced in Ohio.

Athletically, I see your point. If your goal for the smaller states is to have a great college sports program, then one big flagship in Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. would've been a better plan. But that's not a healthy way to organize your public universities imo.
01-30-2014 08:07 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(01-30-2014 08:07 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I'm not much of a fan for the 'eggs in one basket' style of flagship. OSU has dominated Ohio forever, and it's at the expense of the other state schools that are cut to the bone when the budget gets tight (for reference, only 8% of Miami's funding is from the state). Having such an influential state school (in the capital no less) really makes the higher education system unbalanced in Ohio.

Ohio believe it or not gets more money per student than Ohio State.

The state has played a major part in making Ohio University what it is. The state money, medical college, state highway money. Army Corp of Engineer redesigned campus in the 60's. The attention is partially because they've wanted a strong school to help lift up the economically depressed southern portion of the state.
01-30-2014 08:47 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
There is a lot of What Should Have Beens in my opinion(Some of Which Have Been Rectified)

Va Tech and WVU should have been invited to join the ACC originally
New Mexico St and Utah State should have been invited to join the WAC originally
The Big 10 should have taken Notre Dame when the had the change
The Big East should have taken Penn State when they had the chance, which would have allowed some type of ACC merger long term
Florida State should have joined the SEC
The SEC should have gone to 14 teams back in the early 90's with Florida State and Texas A&M joining South Carolina and Arkansas
Texas and Co should have gone to the PAC to form the PAC 16
The SWC should have never dissolved and it could have merged with Big 12 when Texas and Co left
The WAC should not have gone to 16 the way they did and the MWC WAC split should have never happened

PAC 16 - Just like what happened but the Texas Deal went through
Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC
Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St

Big 12 (Changes Name to Big 14) - Big 8 adds Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor one other SWC school. The remaining 3 SWC schools reload with Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Tulsa, and Tulane. SWC hangs on at 8 till Texas and Co. leave for the PAC and a merger occurs.
Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Missouri, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis
Rice, SMU, Houston, TCU, Baylor, Tulsa, Tulane

Big 10 - Added Notre Dame when Notre Dame wanted in, took Nebraska around when they did in real life
Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Notre Dame
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern

SEC - Took FSU and A&M along with South Carolina and Arkansas in the early 90's
FSU, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn
Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M

ACC - Big East Confederation (ACC Division + Miami and WVU Play All sports in ACC, BE Division Play All Sports w/ BE BBall Schools)
The proposed football merger happens instead of an ACC raid. Temple is kicked out before merger and goes to MAC. Basketball remains a profitable priority for both conferences under this unique arrangement
BC, Syracuse, Penn St, WVU, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers, Miami (BIG EAST DIVISION)
Va Tech, UVA, UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, Clemson, Ga Tech (ACC DIVISION)

WAC - WAC starts out at 10 instead of 8 w/ New Mexico St and Utah St joining charter members. When the Arizonas leave SDSU, Hawaii, Air Force, and eventually Fresno are added like in real life. SJSU, UNLV, Nevada, and Boise eventually get the call from the Big West to go to 16. Idaho/Big Sky Upgrade gets the call to replace Utah when they leave for the PAC.
Hawaii, SDSU, SJSU, Fresno St. UNLV, Nevada, Boise St, Idaho*
BYU, Utah St, New Mexico, New Mexico St, Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado St, UTEP

MAC - Pretty much like real life expect Marshall never leaves for CUSA's greener grass, Temple never leaves for the AAC, and UMass doesn't have anyone to give them an invitation to upgrade.
Northern Illinois, EMU, CMU, WMU, Ball State, Toledo, Bowling Green
Miami OH, Ohio, Akron, Kent St, Buffalo, Marshall, Temple

Sunbelt - With No CUSA the Sunbelt is able to start football a whole lot earlier with some of the core schools listed below
ECU, Southern Miss, La Tech, ULL, Arkansas St, UAB, UCF, USF, North Texas
Hard to predict who exactly would be in Sunbelt b/c would UAB and USF have upgraded to FBS with no CUSA? WKU, MTSU, and USA were Sunbelt members so they likely would have still upgraded eventually. FIU and FAU likely never would have gotten the call since UCF and likely USF were there. Troy and ULM also would have likely never gotten the call. Charlotte, ODU, App st. Ga Southern, and UMass likely would have had to make due in FCS w/ no conference invite although I could see Charlotte and ODU getting the invites due to market and for ECU's travel, possibly Texas St too to give North Texas a nearby rival

Independents
Army, Navy
01-30-2014 11:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.