UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB closes at noon
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
UAB closes at noon
“@UABkscope: Campus closes at noon: UAB releases a B-Alert announcing all campus activities, including class, are cancelled... http://wp.me/p3kjDR-cTb”
01-28-2014 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB closes at noon
For good??

Damn BOT.
01-28-2014 12:31 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
Wimps. My wind chills this morning were -40 and we had blowing snow with near zero visibility.

Nothing closed.
01-28-2014 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(01-28-2014 12:42 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  Wimps. My wind chills this morning were -40 and we had blowing snow with near zero visibility.

Nothing closed.

Really? Has your college closed at all this month?
01-28-2014 12:45 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(01-28-2014 12:42 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  Wimps. My wind chills this morning were -40 and we had blowing snow with near zero visibility.

Nothing closed.

Schools south of central Alabama closed for the whole day EX: AU

Can we borrow some of Iowa's snow removal equipment?
01-28-2014 12:59 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
UAB closes at noon
(01-28-2014 12:45 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  

Nothing closed.

Nope. Not once. To my knowledge, NWMSU has never closed for a weather event, except an ice storm several years ago that knocked out power to the city for a week. And it was the power outage, not the ice, that led to the closure.
01-28-2014 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
UAB closes at noon
(01-28-2014 12:59 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

Nothing closed.

Schools south of central Alabama closed for the whole day EX: AU

Can we borrow some of Iowa's snow removal equipment?

I will be the first to admit that snow removal around here, as well as ice removal, is quite the art form.
01-28-2014 01:18 PM
dragondrummer Offline
1st String

Birmingham is deadlocked. I tried to leave work at 11, got two blocks away in an hour and just parked at the nearest parking spot and came back to work.
01-28-2014 01:27 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
I will say that the K-12 schools have had several delayed openings this month, to protect kids from the wind chills at the bus stops, or because the buses wouldn't start because the diesel fuel had partially frozen and they had to wait to crank the buses. But we are used to that this year.
01-28-2014 01:30 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(01-28-2014 01:16 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 12:45 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  

Nothing closed.

Nope. Not once. To my knowledge, NWMSU has never closed for a weather event, except an ice storm several years ago that knocked out power to the city for a week. And it was the power outage, not the ice, that led to the closure.

It could have been the Iowa Ice Storms of January 20, 2010, or February 23, 2007.
01-28-2014 01:41 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(01-28-2014 01:27 PM)dragondrummer Wrote:  Birmingham is deadlocked. I tried to leave work at 11, got two blocks away in an hour and just parked at the nearest parking spot and came back to work.

It's happening everywhere in the area. My wife left work in the Riverchase area before 11 and hasn't made it to Valleydale yet, almost two hours later.
01-28-2014 01:44 PM
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I was born and raised in Northeast Indiana. I know Winter and I know snow.

What's happening in Birmingham right now is completely nuts. Nobody was prepared and it's absolute chaos.
01-28-2014 01:52 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(01-28-2014 01:52 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  I was born and raised in Northeast Indiana. I know Winter and I know snow.

What's happening in Birmingham right now is completely nuts. Nobody was prepared and it's absolute chaos.

Years ago, houses were built in New England without AC and in southern Florida without furnace heating. Southern building codes had minimal insulation requirements and the municipalities didn't spend a lot of tax money on snow / ice removal equipment. As it is today, the most they usually have done is "strap on" sand or salt dispersal devices on city dump trucks. The fire fighters lack a lot of experience in dealing with such extreme conditions when fire breaks out so often in such weather. Fire deaths subsequently increase in these conditions.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 02:19 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
01-28-2014 02:00 PM
UAB Band Dad Online
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Took me an hour and a half from Pinson to Irondale. Usually maybe 25 minutes. Center Point Pky was brutal.
01-28-2014 02:04 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

This is what happens when people put too much trust in someone like James Spann. He said up until his last broadcast last night that at most Birmingham would get a light dusting. Here in Shelby County I've got an inch of snow on one of my cars and it's still snowing.

As soon as they said that the computer models couldn't figure it out in South Alabama but none had any snow for Birmingham, I knew something like this would happen.
01-28-2014 02:22 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
One snowflake paralyzes AL & their solution is to deal w/ the after effects of it w/ minimal $$$ rather than be proactive like northern states.

In Inverness it's still coming down pretty good & in the parking lot/grounds a lot of snow on ground
01-28-2014 02:35 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(01-28-2014 02:22 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  This is what happens when people put too much trust in someone like James Spann. He said up until his last broadcast last night that at most Birmingham would get a light dusting. Here in Shelby County I've got an inch of snow on one of my cars and it's still snowing.

As soon as they said that the computer models couldn't figure it out in South Alabama but none had any snow for Birmingham, I knew something like this would happen.

All the weather folks said that. And the problem that many weather forecasters say is that radar use to monitor the weather in the South don't have the proper algorithms to accurately predict snow events because it doesn't snow often enough.

At least they said it would snow.
01-28-2014 02:37 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-28-2014 02:37 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 02:22 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  This is what happens when people put too much trust in someone like James Spann. He said up until his last broadcast last night that at most Birmingham would get a light dusting. Here in Shelby County I've got an inch of snow on one of my cars and it's still snowing.

All the weather folks said that. And the problem that many weather forecasters say is that radar use to monitor the weather in the South don't have the proper algorithms to accurately predict snow events because it doesn't snow often enough.

Except they said it wouldn't snow in Birmingham and there'd be no travel problems.

If you know it's so hard to forecast, then plan for the worst. The word should have been "hey, we don't know, but it might happen"

But, as it stands we have people who will be sleeping in their cars on I-65 tonight. Also doesn't help that the things that would help in this situation, we don't spend money on. But, I'm sure glad that my local police department has an MRAP and two Hummers.
01-28-2014 02:42 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(01-28-2014 02:42 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 02:37 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

Except they said it wouldn't snow in Birmingham and there'd be no travel problems.

If you know it's so hard to forecast, then plan for the worst. The word should have been "hey, we don't know, but it might happen"

But, as it stands we have people who will be sleeping in their cars on I-65 tonight. Also doesn't help that the things that would help in this situation, we don't spend money on. But, I'm sure glad that my local police department has an MRAP and two Hummers.

Weather forecasters are damn if they do and damn if they don't. If people are sleeping in their cars tonight that is on them, not the weather forecasters.
01-28-2014 02:58 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

It's not the amount of snow, but rather the cold temperatures that have resulted in everything sticking on the roads and turning to ice. One inch of snow at 20 degrees is much worse than 2-4 inches at 30-32 degrees. It's been so cold this month that the soil temperatures and road temperatures were conducive to everything sticking.

What a mess! It reminds me of UAB football during the Callaway and McGee eras.
01-28-2014 03:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.