Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

There have been criticisms of Brady recruiting a bunch of jucos.
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
There are pros and cons to that theory. Obviously the ideal is to recruit High School seniors and keep them around for four or five years and you eventually always have a strong Senior and Junior Class. But at the mid major level, that doesn't seem to be the answer for a lot of programs.

First of all, in today's society, kids want immediate gratification, so when they come to a school like UALR and don't get much playing time, they want to go where the grass is greener. So it's difficult to keep them until they develop into really good experienced players. Plus, talent evaluation of mid major prospects is more difficult. You can easily spot the stars, but we're not going to get many of them, so we deal more in potential, and you miss on more players.

A juco player is older and more mature, and has played at a higher level for usually two seasons, so your evaluation is probably more accurate. Plus, from a shooting perspective, since the high school three point arc is shorter than the college line now, it's hard to really know how good a shooter will be in college, but you can evaluate a juco shooter, since he's shooting from the same distance.

And lastly, you only have to worry about keeping a juco for two seasons, which is a lot easier than keeping a player for four or five seasons. And most mid major coaches, if they are smart, aren't looking four years out. They know they need to win "this year", because if they don't, they won't be around to coach those four or five year players, so it's important they win now and let next year take care of itself. And if they do win big, they might have a bigger job next year. So it's a matter of self preservation. I can't criticize Brady for trying to give himself what he believes is the best chance to win right now. Of course if a coach has a lifetime contract, he can do whatever he wants with impunity!04-cheers
01-27-2014 10:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: There have been criticisms of Brady recruiting a bunch of jucos.
(01-27-2014 10:17 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  There are pros and cons to that theory. Obviously the ideal is to recruit High School seniors and keep them around for four or five years and you eventually always have a strong Senior and Junior Class. But at the mid major level, that doesn't seem to be the answer for a lot of programs.

First of all, in today's society, kids want immediate gratification, so when they come to a school like UALR and don't get much playing time, they want to go where the grass is greener. So it's difficult to keep them until they develop into really good experienced players. Plus, talent evaluation of mid major prospects is more difficult. You can easily spot the stars, but we're not going to get many of them, so we deal more in potential, and you miss on more players.

A juco player is older and more mature, and has played at a higher level for usually two seasons, so your evaluation is probably more accurate. Plus, from a shooting perspective, since the high school three point arc is shorter than the college line now, it's hard to really know how good a shooter will be in college, but you can evaluate a juco shooter, since he's shooting from the same distance.

And lastly, you only have to worry about keeping a juco for two seasons, which is a lot easier than keeping a player for four or five seasons. And most mid major coaches, if they are smart, aren't looking four years out. They know they need to win "this year", because if they don't, they won't be around to coach those four or five year players, so it's important they win now and let next year take care of itself. And if they do win big, they might have a bigger job next year. So it's a matter of self preservation. I can't criticize Brady for trying to give himself what he believes is the best chance to win right now. Of course if a coach has a lifetime contract, he can do whatever he wants with impunity!04-cheers

No doubt that is an advantage when recruiting freshman. Your premise may be incorrect since we have signed all Jucos for next season.
01-27-2014 10:23 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2014 10:23 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 10:17 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  There are pros and cons to that theory. Obviously the ideal is to recruit High School seniors and keep them around for four or five years and you eventually always have a strong Senior and Junior Class. But at the mid major level, that doesn't seem to be the answer for a lot of programs.

No doubt that is an advantage when recruiting freshman. Your premise may be incorrect since we have signed all Jucos for next season.

The last line of my post was obviously tongue in cheek!04-cheers
01-27-2014 10:25 AM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
Doc, that's an outstanding post. Pretty much says it all. The only part I didn't understand is the "tongue in cheek ' remark.
01-27-2014 10:57 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2014 10:57 AM)DollarBill Wrote:  Doc, that's an outstanding post. Pretty much says it all. The only part I didn't understand is the "tongue in cheek ' remark.

Some always joke that Steve has a lifetime contract. That's what I was referring to. Just kidding the kidders. No malice intended to any of the parties.04-cheers
01-27-2014 11:23 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
One interesting thing about Brady bringing in JUCO's is the roster makeup for next season. Because of redshirts (Seth Gardner, Jammar Sturdivant), and transfers sitting the year out (PJ Hardwick) We're going to have Two Freshman, One Sophomore, Nine Juniors, and One Senior next season.

Yes....I said Nine Juniors. That means its almost guaranteed that someone is redshirting.
01-27-2014 11:46 AM
bigdhl Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

The difference in the 3 pt line I think has very little impact. You very seldom ever see a girl or a guy that shoots well beyond that mark.
01-28-2014 10:30 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Good post.

I think the mids that can red shirt and keep player have a better shot at winning.

We have had luck with transfers and a few jucos. I dont remember anyone but will being great from the freshmen and no one making to the end without moving on.

I just hate to see us go the juco route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
01-29-2014 07:33 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2014 11:46 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  One interesting thing about Brady bringing in JUCO's is the roster makeup for next season. Because of redshirts (Seth Gardner, Jammar Sturdivant), and transfers sitting the year out (PJ Hardwick) We're going to have Two Freshman, One Sophomore, Nine Juniors, and One Senior next season.

Yes....I said Nine Juniors. That means its almost guaranteed that someone is redshirting.
01-29-2014 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.