Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Pastner was right about Frank
Bookmark and Share
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Pastner said that the training Frank Matrisciano was using on the Tigers, was making them too tired to jump high enough on their 3's. I think he was right, and the numbers back it up.

Since Frank Matrisciano was let go, the 3 point % has improved by 7.15%.

First 6 games 32.2%
Next 7 games 26.9% 29.3% up till that point

Next 7 games 36.5%, after Frank was let go.
Season Total 30.4%

You see that as the season went on, the 3 point % decreased....after Frank was let go, it increased....seems that Pastner was right.

Hope the upward trend continues.
01-26-2014 05:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lenetzach Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Tigers
RE: Pastner was right about Frank
I think he just wanted to experiment with dialing it down, not to be done with all of Frank's methods.

I do want guys to still go all out on defense, even if it impacts their shooting percentage (see Tone Anderson) - shooting comes and goes, but defense can be consistent

But another big difference is that the shot selection from 3 has gotten much better recently.

Out of all possible factors, I would key on shot selection as the most important (inside out ball movement), because it doesn't just relate to shooting percentage, but also to the flow of the offense.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 06:10 PM by lenetzach.)
01-26-2014 05:53 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
So why are we still abysmal at the free throw line?
01-26-2014 06:25 PM
hongkongtiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: tigers
(01-26-2014 06:25 PM)dan o Wrote:  So why are we still abysmal at the free throw line?

Because a free throw is not usually considered a Jump Shot
01-26-2014 06:39 PM
bobby jo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: memphis
Big Dom looks good even when he misses. If he loses 20 lbs he is a scoring machine.
01-26-2014 06:43 PM
motiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tiger's
(01-26-2014 06:25 PM)dan o Wrote:  So why are we still abysmal at the free throw line?

It's a proven fact that it takes a while to get your legs back!
01-26-2014 06:45 PM
Advertisement

holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

Just ask Wilt. His problem may have been too many women, tho, come to think...
01-26-2014 06:48 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(01-26-2014 06:43 PM)bobby jo Wrote:  Big Dom looks good even when he misses. If he loses 20 lbs he is a scoring machine.

Hell, keep that 20 lbs Dom, just turn a bit of it from fat to muscle. We saw you throw that weight around in the lane tonight.
01-26-2014 08:26 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame

Ask Calipari. He started it. 03-lmfao

To be serious for a moment, they asked Pastner on camera today. He said he had no idea, that he had tried everything he could think of to address it. Cal obviously never figured it out either.

I think it's a matter of concentration, stamina, and psychology. Probably the only one who can fix it is each individual player.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 08:36 PM by TripleA.)
01-26-2014 08:33 PM
TigeRM Offline
2nd String

Part of the problem is in the mechanics of shooting the free throw. A free throw should start in the legs and finish with a follow through. This is not happening with some of our players.
01-26-2014 08:44 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-26-2014 08:33 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

To be serious for a moment, they asked Pastner on camera today. He said he had no idea, that he had tried everything he could think of to address it. Cal obviously never figured it out either.

I think it's a matter of concentration, stamina, and psychology. Probably the only one who can fix it is each individual player.

At least King appears to have turned a corner.
01-26-2014 08:44 PM
Advertisement

QuitoTiger Offline
¿Q' hubo, pues?

(01-26-2014 08:44 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(01-26-2014 08:33 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

At least King appears to have turned a corner.

Looked like he stopped thinking about it, and just did it. Good to see.
01-26-2014 08:48 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(01-26-2014 05:48 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  Pastner said that the training Frank Matrisciano was using on the Tigers, was making them too tired to jump high enough on their 3's. I think he was right, and the numbers back it up.

First 6 games 32.2%

Season Total 30.4%

You see that as the season went on, the 3 point % decreased....after Frank was let go, it increased....seems that Pastner was right.

no offense...but I do not think that a 7% increase justifies your theory.
Now if the 3 point shooting increases to say 45%...then that dynamic changes of course.
01-26-2014 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

It's all who's shooting FT's. If it's Joe and Dixon and Shaq is making them then it's usually good. If it's the other guys and Shaq's not making them then it's not usually good.
01-26-2014 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigerscane Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tha tigers
All i am gonna say is you can bank of OUr Next Trainer being a Ganon Baker Type and working with the Players on Player Develop more and skills training.....#TrUeTh.....Also when Practicing Free Throws and 3 pointers we should be using the Perfect shot on the rim, so when in Game time the rim is bigger and making the shots easier to knock down with better form....Because its makes the rim smaller making you have to adjust to it and having better form to make it consistant,,,,Pros use it all the time.....Changes are coming....One Dream, One Team, Memphis....All for one, One for all, All for Memphis...The World Is Ours Memphis....
01-26-2014 08:58 PM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

Looking back, I think Frank was a mistake from the very beginning ...
01-26-2014 09:28 PM
Advertisement

BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-26-2014 08:56 PM)mairving Wrote:  

It's all who's shooting FT's. If it's Joe and Dixon and Shaq is making them then it's usually good. If it's the other guys and Shaq's not making them then it's not usually good.

You are so right! It all depends on who is on the line and this goes for every team except for a few teams where nearly every player is really good in hitting them
01-26-2014 09:32 PM
lenetzach Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Tigers
(01-26-2014 08:44 PM)TigeRM Wrote:  Part of the problem is in the mechanics of shooting the free throw. A free throw should start in the legs and finish with a follow through. This is not happening with some of our players.

Ahem *Shaq*

Common big man form. Bends knees as a concession to coaching I assume, but then stands up straight, and catapults a line drive at the back of the rim.

I think big men may tend to think that using their legs will put unnecessary power into the shot. But it's about verticality, and smooth, consistent, reliable form.
01-26-2014 09:34 PM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

(01-26-2014 08:54 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(01-26-2014 05:48 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  Pastner said that the training Frank Matrisciano was using on the Tigers, was making them too tired to jump high enough on their 3's. I think he was right, and the numbers back it up.

First 6 games 32.2%

Season Total 30.4%

no offense...but I do not think that a 7% increase justifies your theory.
Now if the 3 point shooting increases to say 45%...then that dynamic changes of course.

Actually, 7% does justify my theory....36.5% would put us at #88, as opposed to #290 out of 294 at the time Fran was let go. That 7% would equate to an extra 3 points per game...would be the difference in losing to Florida

If we were 45%, we would be #1 by about 1.4 percentage points. Creighton the current number one is 43.6%.
01-26-2014 11:32 PM
TigerJJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Tiger Victories
I don't think the poor 3 point shooting can or can't be attributed to tired legs. There are a number of factors involved: more open shots, better mechanics, more concentration, more confidence, etc. I don't think we'll ever know. My personal opinion is that tired legs was not the reason for the poor shooting.
01-27-2014 02:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.