Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gordon Gee advocates a split from the NCAA
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Gordon Gee advocates a split from the NCAA
http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/gordo...r-it/34229

Quote:Mr. Gee, president of West Virginia University, who has spent his career entrenched in big-time sports, said in an interview with The Chronicle that he would back a plan to create a fourth NCAA division or “leave the NCAA altogether.”

Quote:Mr. Gee wouldn’t say whether he favored a fourth division or a breakaway. But he said that leaving the NCAA would give the wealthiest institutions the chance to “really reinvent the whole nature of the governance structure.”

Neither of those ideas was on the table at last week’s NCAA convention, where leaders across Division I showed support for keeping all 350 or so colleges under the same umbrella.

Quote:“There’s so many varied interests,” he told The Chronicle. “It’s not that they shouldn’t be in competition, but frankly, when they’re all under the same tent, they pummel each other to death—whereas when you have some segregation with connectivity, you can have a much more powerful stringed organization.”

However, Gee seems to be in the minority (again) on this issue.

Quote:In an email, an NCAA spokesman said that conversations at last week’s convention underscored its member colleges’ desire to keep Division I together.
01-24-2014 10:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: Gordon Gee advocates a split from the NCAA
No one listens to Gordon Gee anymore.
01-24-2014 11:37 PM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
Elwood likes to hear himself talk.
01-25-2014 08:39 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I don't think anyone is listening to anyone. There's a lot of disconnect between what people are saying individually and what the NCAA is doing or not doing. I'm not hearing anything that deals with the underlying causes of the frustration, merely efforts to deal with the symptoms. That makes for a less amiable restructuring down the road.

And I'm not hearing anything indicating there is a real effort to streamline the rule book or bring some consistency to the enforcement process. The presidents seem to be mad about how Penn St. and Miami were handled (procedural issues) and the public is outraged at how UNC has been ignored. If more people knew, they would be upset about how Montana only got a slap on the wrist.
01-25-2014 09:21 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
No one at any level is on the same page. even in the P5. An Ohio St, has little in common with an Indiana.
01-25-2014 09:25 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
And he thinks WVU is part of this big time group? Give me a break!
01-25-2014 09:26 AM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(01-25-2014 09:21 AM)bullet Wrote:  I don't think anyone is listening to anyone. There's a lot of disconnect between what people are saying individually and what the NCAA is doing or not doing. I'm not hearing anything that deals with the underlying causes of the frustration, merely efforts to deal with the symptoms. That makes for a less amiable restructuring down the road.

And I'm not hearing anything indicating there is a real effort to streamline the rule book or bring some consistency to the enforcement process. The presidents seem to be mad about how Penn St. and Miami were handled (procedural issues) and the public is outraged at how UNC has been ignored. If more people knew, they would be upset about how Montana only got a slap on the wrist.

Agreed. Look at the other report from the NCAA convention where they mentioned that while 58% of the attendees favored more autonomy for the P5, 75% wanted to keep the override process the same so that rules don't get out of hand too far. It's a messy process and I still think that we are closer to the beginning of it than the end.
01-25-2014 09:30 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Yeah, it is one big huge mess right now. The longer that lasts though and no resolution is found, the more and more likely it will become that a split could happen or a new division would be forced into the making. The longer the stonewalling lasts, the more resolve it is going to create for those large schools that are wanting this change.
01-25-2014 09:46 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-25-2014 09:46 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Yeah, it is one big huge mess right now. The longer that lasts though and no resolution is found, the more and more likely it will become that a split could happen or a new division would be forced into the making. The longer the stonewalling lasts, the more resolve it is going to create for those large schools that are wanting this change.

I agree. I do not think they will find a suitable resolution. Things are too convuluted to patch up, but it may drag on for who knows how long.
01-25-2014 12:42 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I think a new fbs division is coming. If it includes the bball conferences like the Big East I'm not sure.
01-25-2014 02:18 PM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Who does Gordon Gee think he is, Nostradamus? For all we know, he may be right. But not for a few years at the very least.
01-25-2014 02:41 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Gordon Gee is a balloon floater. He throws out the ideas that the P5 are mulling over and they see how the ideas are responded to and which direction the prevailing feeling takes them. I think it was right for him to float what many more behind the scenes of the P5 are thinking, and have been thinking for almost 30 years now.

The NCAA statement is spin. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." "There is no evil witch and no blue faced flying monkeys." "We are all happy and everything is fine."

They are merely repeating what has been repeated every time there has been a stir among the larger institutions. It's time to call their bluff. There is too much at stake now to acquiesce to their continued fleecing of the hoops tournament, their endowing of funds that should be going to the schools since they are a non-profit, and to continue to allow them to pick and choose on enforcement. And the P5 and G5 have little in common with the FCS. If there is a breakaway it needs to be a joint effort of P5 & G5 schools.

Just remember that in all of this Gordon Gee has played the part of a Shakespearean fool. He appears to be contrary to the aspirations of many of the main characters, but he speaks the truth. Therefore he is foolish to the entrenched, and yet wise to an enlightened audience.
01-25-2014 03:50 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(01-25-2014 03:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Gordon Gee is a balloon floater. He throws out the ideas that the P5 are mulling over and they see how the ideas are responded to and which direction the prevailing feeling takes them. I think it was right for him to float what many more behind the scenes of the P5 are thinking, and have been thinking for almost 30 years now.

The NCAA statement is spin. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." "There is no evil witch and no blue faced flying monkeys." "We are all happy and everything is fine."

They are merely repeating what has been repeated every time there has been a stir among the larger institutions. It's time to call their bluff. There is too much at stake now to acquiesce to their continued fleecing of the hoops tournament, their endowing of funds that should be going to the schools since they are a non-profit, and to continue to allow them to pick and choose on enforcement. And the P5 and G5 have little in common with the FCS. If there is a breakaway it needs to be a joint effort of P5 & G5 schools.

Just remember that in all of this Gordon Gee has played the part of a Shakespearean fool. He appears to be contrary to the aspirations of many of the main characters, but he speaks the truth. Therefore he is foolish to the entrenched, and yet wise to an enlightened audience.

He goes public with what he talks about with his contemporaries in private. The discussions are happening. What others think about it? Who knows but considering how lock step the commissioners have been together, I highly doubt Gee is alone in his beliefs.
01-25-2014 04:08 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-25-2014 04:08 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(01-25-2014 03:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Gordon Gee is a balloon floater. He throws out the ideas that the P5 are mulling over and they see how the ideas are responded to and which direction the prevailing feeling takes them. I think it was right for him to float what many more behind the scenes of the P5 are thinking, and have been thinking for almost 30 years now.

He goes public with what he talks about with his contemporaries in private. The discussions are happening. What others think about it? Who knows but considering how lock step the commissioners have been together, I highly doubt Gee is alone in his beliefs.

Like a WWI soldier, Im afraid Gee may simply be the first over the top of the trench. Gee's line of thought is not really that far afoot. Keep in mind it was just before the meetings that Delany stated the D4/break-away idea was not off the table.
01-25-2014 07:17 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
Gordon Gee looks like Less Nessman of WKRP in Concinnati.
01-25-2014 07:42 PM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
(01-25-2014 03:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Just remember that in all of this Gordon Gee has played the part of a Shakespearean fool. He appears to be contrary to the aspirations of many of the main characters, but he speaks the truth. Therefore he is foolish to the entrenched, and yet wise to an enlightened audience.

Have you guys been drinking the scarlet wine? 04-cheers
01-25-2014 09:26 PM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I'm in favor of Mr. Gee splitting from the NCAA. Does he need help packing?
01-25-2014 11:06 PM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
He needs a late-night talk show.
01-25-2014 11:25 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(01-25-2014 11:25 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  He needs a late-night talk show.

where he talks to himself in a mirror.....

[Image: Gee.jpg]
01-25-2014 11:34 PM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(01-25-2014 09:26 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  And he thinks WVU is part of this big time group? Give me a break!

Yeah our 70+ million a year athletic budget is obviously small time. Remind me what Marshalls athletic budget is again? Idiot.
01-26-2014 11:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.