Bookmark and Share
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
CA's David Williams says ....[01/22/14]
Sorry, probably a pay article...

link

Williams says, essentially, the Tigers were over rated this season. Memphis media has a tendency to do that...

"Take the Tigers. They can’t seem to string meaningful victories together to save their aspirations. A season that began with hopes for a deep NCAA tournament run (Sweet 16, surely) seems to have given way to this reality: A team just good enough to stay in the AP Top 25, and whose vaunted guards haven’t answered the preseason question of “Is this the best backcourt in the country,” so much as they've asked an entirely different question: “What’s Latin for ‘brick’?”"
07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 11:39 AM by Triple-T.)
01-22-2014 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
RE: CA's David Williams says ....
he says the same thing about the Tigers and Grizzlies

that they may be just who they are and that we have to accept that

not really sure of the article's point - maybe just to tone down the obsession with Hoop City I guess
01-22-2014 11:07 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
Damn, no Sweet 16 this year.
01-22-2014 11:10 AM
TIGER7880 Offline
Wahoowa Mourning Society

I Root For: Free Beer
What was the guy's name that was on 56 forever that said Derrick Rose was not good enough for the NBA and that he should stay in college another year?
01-22-2014 11:11 AM
TigerTim Offline
All American

I Root For:
Can't really disagree with him.
01-22-2014 11:14 AM
tigerderek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Sunshinepumpers
Everyone knows what our problems are and are not so this article is pointless.
01-22-2014 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

I'm sad that the season ended on Saturday; we had no good wins, and we didn't make the Sweet 16.
01-22-2014 11:26 AM
Pastnerized Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TIGERS
(01-22-2014 11:11 AM)TIGER7880 Wrote:  What was the guy's name that was on 56 forever that said Derrick Rose was not good enough for the NBA and that he should stay in college another year?

That would be the whining burger. That Fischer fellow and probably at least one other goober like Hrabe or that ilk, most likely said it too.
Seems like I heard that crap everyday from several of those guys before I quit listening to their drivel.
01-22-2014 11:26 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

http://www.latinwordtranslation.com/b/brick

Latin word for brick:

later
01-22-2014 11:32 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I don't think Williams' premise is all that ridiculous. He's essentially asking if the Tigers are as good as we thought, preseason.

I have the same question myself, and I'm not exactly a troll. I thought we would easily be a S16 team this year, and right now, we're looking more like a 6 seed, and S16 might be more than we can do. That would be surprising, based on our preseason expectations. We got one tourney win last year. This year should be a better run in the NCAAs, right?

Of course, we have half the season to play, and we knew we weren't going to win them all with this schedule, so we can still turn into that team. And we've had some great wins this year, best ever with Pastner. But being a S16 team, or better, seems to be more of a question now, than we thought it would be in early November. JMO.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 11:37 AM by TripleA.)
01-22-2014 11:34 AM
tigers1125 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers
RE: CA's David Williams says ....[01/22/14]
(01-22-2014 11:34 AM)TripleA Wrote:  I don't think Williams' premise is all that ridiculous. He's essentially asking if the Tigers are as good as we thought, preseason.

I have the same question myself, and I'm not exactly a troll. I thought we would easily be a S16 team this year, and right now, we're looking more like a 6 seed, and S16 might be more than we can do. That would be surprising, based on our preseason expectations. We got one tourney win last year. This year should be a better run in the NCAAs, right?

Of course, we have half the season to play, and we knew we weren't going to win them all with this schedule, so we can still turn into that team. And we've had some great wins this year, best ever with Pastner. But being a S16 team, or better, seems to be more of a question now, than we thought it would be in early November. JMO.

Penny's elite 8 team had 10 losses so don't "dis" count your chickens before they hatch.
01-22-2014 11:43 AM
Advertisement

EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
(01-22-2014 11:34 AM)TripleA Wrote:  I don't think Williams' premise is all that ridiculous. He's essentially asking if the Tigers are as good as we thought, preseason.

I know that I would be disappointed with a loss in the first weekend of the tournament, and would certainly feel as if we underachieved this season. There's more than enough experience, talent, quickness and athleticism on this squad to make a March run. Thankfully, there's a lot of basketball left to be played and, if Josh has proven anything, it's that his teams improve each year.
01-22-2014 11:55 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(01-22-2014 11:08 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Good grief, the CA has finally stooped to straight up trolling for page hits.

I'm glad David Williams has a job, otherwise we would be supporting him.
01-22-2014 11:57 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-22-2014 11:43 AM)tigers1125 Wrote:  

Penny's elite 8 team had 10 losses so don't "dis" count your chickens before they hatch.

Did you read the lines in bold type?
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 12:03 PM by TripleA.)
01-22-2014 12:02 PM
Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Offline
Knower of all known knowings

I Root For: Master Yoda
So we won the old spice classic by beating Ok St, beat the defending national champions on their home floor, played Flordia to a 2 point thriller while rallying from behind in the final minutes of all those games, been in the top25 all season...but now the sweet 16 seems to be wishful thinking.

Makes sense............

I mean ..........wait, that's F-ing STUPID.
01-22-2014 12:04 PM
Bsquared-2 Offline
1st String

03-lmfao
(01-22-2014 12:04 PM)Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Wrote:  So we won the old spice classic by beating Ok St, beat the defending national champions on their home floor, played Flordia to a 2 point thriller while rallying from behind in the final minutes of all those games, been in the top25 all season...but now the sweet 16 seems to be wishful thinking.

Makes sense............

03-lmfao
01-22-2014 12:10 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-22-2014 12:04 PM)Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Wrote:  So we won the old spice classic by beating Ok St, beat the defending national champions on their home floor, played Flordia to a 2 point thriller while rallying from behind in the final minutes of all those games, been in the top25 all season...but now the sweet 16 seems to be wishful thinking.

Makes sense............

No, it's simply a different opinion from yours. We're ranked #22/23, so that roughly translates to a potential 6 seed, and our RPI is in the 30s, making it reasonably questionable whether we would make the S16 in the tourney. Not wishful thinking, just not as certain as we first thought.

Problem is we're not consistent enough (although many teams aren't). We looked good against OSU the 2nd time, but like a deer in headlights the first time. We played well against FL, and it was anybody's game. We got shut down completely by UC. We didn't play that great against Louisville, but they played worse. For whatever reason, UConn went wild on us.

Right now, all that doesn't add up to a likely S16 team, in some's opinions. Not everybody, but some, who don't have to be "F-ing STUPID" to feel that way.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 12:18 PM by TripleA.)
01-22-2014 12:16 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Well, let's see..after the OSU game, I thought we just plain sucked. Then after Orlando, I thought we were top 5 and Nichols was a superstar. Then after Florida, I thought we were alright, top 10-20. Then after Cincinnati, well, I thought we could still be fine but I was tired, tired, tired of the 4 guard crap. Then after UCONN, I hoped my tournament tickets were worth it. Then, after Lemoyne Owen, well, I think Pastner has to play King/Wilson/Iverson more and we again will have a chance at the Final Four!
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 12:25 PM by cmt.)
01-22-2014 12:24 PM
Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Offline
Knower of all known knowings

I Root For: Master Yoda
(01-22-2014 12:16 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

Makes sense............

No, it's simply a different opinion from yours. We're ranked #22/23, so that roughly translates to a potential 6 seed, and our RPI is in the 30s, making it reasonably questionable whether we would make the S16 in the tourney. Not wishful thinking, just not as certain as we first thought.

Problem is we're not consistent enough (although many teams aren't). We looked good against OSU the 2nd time, but like a deer in headlights the first time. We played well against FL, and it was anybody's game. We got shut down completely by UC. We didn't play that great against Louisville, but they played worse. For whatever reason, UConn went wild on us.

Right now, all that doesn't add up to a likely S16 team, in some's opinions. Not everybody, but some, who don't have to be "F-ing STUPID" to feel that way.

Lets not twist my words here. I didn't call anyone stupid.

I find the article to be rather F-ing stupid.

You are entitled to your own opinion, just as I am mine.

I have a feeling a LOT of people would agree with me that it is a rather stupid thing to write in late January for a team in our position with our talent, Sr guards and resume.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 03:38 PM by Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas.)
01-22-2014 12:27 PM
Dale Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: AzCats & Tigers
Perhaps a little bit off topic but perhaps not. Arizona finished 5th in the Pac 10 in 1997 and yet won the NC that year. All is not lost for the Tigers!
01-22-2014 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.