Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Like USFL, should NonBCS conferences play football in spring thru summer?
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Like USFL, should NonBCS conferences play football in spring thru summer?
Only one thing is given up, the chance to play for a College Football National Championship. But, really, what chance does a NonBCS team have to be one of the final two teams to play for a national championship?

What is gained? Visibility to a degree far superior to what the BCS world and tv will allow with a fall schedule. And perhaps more money. America is a football crazy country. With a Spring/Summer schedule, NonBCS football could be shown both Saturday and Sunday, because there is no BCS or NFL competition. In addition, NonBCS colleges would have full access to the major sports networks.

Then, at the end of the season, do a national playoff of 8 teams or 16 teams, winding up the season on Labor Day.

The key in marketing is to differentiate your product, that is, I am selling a unique product not available anywhere else. This is also called branding. Rather than letting BCS brand NonBCS as an inferior product, just change the branding and public perception of the product.

One last point. All NonBCS conferences need to coordinate their tv contracts, so that all NonBCS conferences negotiate as one. Then get someone of stature and knowledge to negotiate, for example, as B12 did with Neinas.
01-22-2014 09:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: Like USFL, should NonBCS conferences play football in spring thru summer?
some random thoughts

the fact that neither the USFL nor the XFL lasted that long should provide a clue how well that would work.

One reason ESPN wants so many weeknight games in November and bowl games in December is because baseball is gone from the schedule.

but it might make sense for northern teams. Canada plays their schedule about 2 months earlier than the USA. But if say, the MAC went to the Canada schedule, the regular season finals would be up against the baseball playoffs.

One thing I would not mind seeing, instead of a 13th regular season game, is to let each div-1 team play 1 exhibition game after spring practices finish.
01-22-2014 09:25 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(01-22-2014 09:13 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Only one thing is given up, the chance to play for a College Football National Championship. But, really, what chance does a NonBCS team have to be one of the final two teams to play for a national championship?

What is gained? Visibility to a degree far superior to what the BCS world and tv will allow with a fall schedule. And perhaps more money. America is a football crazy country. With a Spring/Summer schedule, NonBCS football could be shown both Saturday and Sunday, because there is no BCS or NFL competition. In addition, NonBCS colleges would have full access to the major sports networks.

Then, at the end of the season, do a national playoff of 8 teams or 16 teams, winding up the season on Labor Day.

The key in marketing is to differentiate your product, that is, I am selling a unique product not available anywhere else. This is also called branding. Rather than letting BCS brand NonBCS as an inferior product, just change the branding and public perception of the product.

One last point. All NonBCS conferences need to coordinate their tv contracts, so that all NonBCS conferences negotiate as one. Then get someone of stature and knowledge to negotiate, for example, as B12 did with Neinas.

You have this thing called the NFL...players in college want the opportunity to go through the process like everyone else...the NFL Combine is in February...the Individual Team Workouts and school Pro Days are in March and the Draft is in April...FTR, many of the top players in the NFL come from Non AQ Leagues...last year Overall #1 NFL Pick went to Central Michigan of the MAC...also, for FTR...2 of the Top 5 Projected players in this coming draft come of the AAC in Bortles and Bridgewater...07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 09:32 AM by Maize.)
01-22-2014 09:26 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
No, but you could do a split season. Play four games spread across September, October, November, and then play 8 more games March to May but your seniors might not like it.
01-22-2014 09:32 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2014 09:32 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  No, but you could do a split season. Play four games spread across September, October, November, and then play 8 more games March to May but your seniors might not like it.

The Seniors and Draft eligible Juniors with NFL Hopes would be gone after November...they would have no choice and the coaches I doubt would stop them
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 09:46 AM by Maize.)
01-22-2014 09:34 AM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
[Image: 194bb642ee50942aeade335eaa6b61ffb8d8bdac...570a97.jpg]
01-22-2014 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

Not an idea that I would be a fan of--but I do like the out of the box thinking.

One idea I would look at is a G5 network owned by the 5 non-AQ conferences. Plenty of inventory. Basically each G5 conference could contribute 2 or 3 quality games to the network out of thier inventory. Each conference would then be free to sell their remaining 70 or so games just as they normally would. The network could even pick up some unsold G5 games at its descretion. Plenty of basketball, volleyball, Lacrosse, baseball, and soccer to fill up the network. There would be a weekly dedicated one hour show for each conference as well as a Saturday morning "Game Day" type show. As long as the network is priced cheaply, it could get carriage everywhere. The idea is that his network would provide a large national stage that would treat the G5 seriously as well as creating new source of income for the G5. If profitable, it could eventually sponsor/purchase/televise bowls--perhaps even provide money for higher tier bowls that could pit G5 champs against higher end P5 selections.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 10:46 AM by Attackcoog.)
01-22-2014 09:48 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(01-22-2014 09:48 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Not an idea that I would be a fan of--but I do like the out of the box thinking.

One idea I would look at is a G5 network owned by the 5 non-AQ conferences. Plenty of inventory. Basically each G5 conference could contribute 2 or 3 quality games each to the network out of thier inventory. Each conference would then be free to sell their remaining 70 or so games just as they normall would. The network could even pick up some unsold games at its descretion. Plenty of basketball, volleyball, Lacrosse, baseball, and soccer to fill up the network. There would be a weekly dedicated one hour show for each conference as well as a Saturday morning "Game Day" type show. As long as the network is priced cheaply, it could get carriage everywhere. The idea is that his network would provide a large national stage that would treat the G5 seriously as well as creating new source of income for the G5.

That's a good out of the box approach. Won't make the individual schools as much money as the conference owned networks of the P5, but it would give them similar exposure and as you said a large national stage to take them seriously. I would recommend including any independents (BYU, Army) in the creation as well.
01-22-2014 10:40 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2014 10:40 AM)brista21 Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 09:48 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Not an idea that I would be a fan of--but I do like the out of the box thinking.

One idea I would look at is a G5 network owned by the 5 non-AQ conferences. Plenty of inventory. Basically each G5 conference could contribute 2 or 3 quality games each to the network out of thier inventory. Each conference would then be free to sell their remaining 70 or so games just as they normall would. The network could even pick up some unsold games at its descretion. Plenty of basketball, volleyball, Lacrosse, baseball, and soccer to fill up the network. There would be a weekly dedicated one hour show for each conference as well as a Saturday morning "Game Day" type show. As long as the network is priced cheaply, it could get carriage everywhere. The idea is that his network would provide a large national stage that would treat the G5 seriously as well as creating new source of income for the G5.

That's a good out of the box approach. Won't make the individual schools as much money as the conference owned networks of the P5, but it would give them similar exposure and as you said a large national stage to take them seriously. I would recommend including any independents (BYU, Army) in the creation as well.

In reality....it would better for the MWC and AAC to do something like this with (Army/BYU)...those are the only two GoF leagues that would/could create any kind of interest...
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 10:46 AM by Maize.)
01-22-2014 10:46 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
No slam on OP. But, Hell No !
01-22-2014 10:49 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-22-2014 10:46 AM)Maize Wrote:  

In reality....it would better for the MWC and AAC to do something like this...those are the only two GoF leagues that would/could create any kind of interest...

That's a good idea as well. With 24 schools spread across the nation those 2 conferences would be uniquely positioned to pull off something like that. That said, if you have all 5 non-AQ conferences (64 some odd teams), getting network carriage on all the major cable systems should be much easier--plus your potential interested audience becomes much larger. Plus, such a network, providing a single unified voice for the G5 could be the key to winning the push for a larger more G5 inclusive post season/playoff.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 10:54 AM by Attackcoog.)
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(01-22-2014 09:13 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Only one thing is given up, the chance to play for a College Football National Championship. But, really, what chance does a NonBCS team have to be one of the final two teams to play for a national championship?

You're forgetting one thing - these are sports for a school. Most students aren't on campus during summer.

This might not matter much at a small school like Tulsa where the student body is negligible. But an average UC home game will have 10,000 students there.

In the past, we've occasionally had our first home game before the first day of school. The student section was usually less than half full. I think that's part of the reason why Ohio state schools switched from quarters to semesters a couple years ago.
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2014 10:49 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

In reality....it would better for the MWC and AAC to do something like this...those are the only two GoF leagues that would/could create any kind of interest...

That's a good idea as well. With 24 schools spread across the nation those 2 conferences would be uniquely positioned to pull off something like that. That said, if you have all 5 non-AQ conferences (64 some odd teams), getting network carriage on all the major cable systems should be much easier--plus your potential interested audience becomes much larger. Plus, such a network, providing a single unified voice for the G5 could be the key to winning the push for a larger more G5 inclusive post season/playoff.

I understand but you also would be carrying way too much dead weight in the C-USA, MAC and Sunbelt...an alliance with the AAC/MWC/BYU & Army could generate more bang for the buck especially with the coming Full Cost of Attendance..
01-22-2014 10:57 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
Football=Fall.
01-22-2014 11:12 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-22-2014 10:57 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 10:49 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I understand but you also would be carrying way too much dead weight in the C-USA, MAC and Sunbelt...an alliance with the AAC/MWC/BYU & Army could generate more bang for the buck especially with the coming Full Cost of Attendance..

Good point. That said, the number of games provided to the network by each league would have to be higher and the start up costs would be heavier. I was thinking that the 85 million that the G5 gets from the CFP could be the source of the start up funds. With only two conferences, the network cost gets higher. Either way, you probably still will need a network partner (Fox, ESPN, or Comcast). Lol....There is a G4 network out there---it would be kinda fitting to buy it and rename it the G5 network.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 12:35 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-22-2014 11:29 AM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(01-22-2014 09:25 AM)goofus Wrote:  some random thoughts

the fact that neither the USFL nor the XFL lasted that long should provide a clue how well that would work.

One reason ESPN wants so many weeknight games in November and bowl games in December is because baseball is gone from the schedule.

but it might make sense for northern teams. Canada plays their schedule about 2 months earlier than the USA. But if say, the MAC went to the Canada schedule, the regular season finals would be up against the baseball playoffs.

One thing I would not mind seeing, instead of a 13th regular season game, is to let each div-1 team play 1 exhibition game after spring practices finish.

Ah, but IIRC, the USFL actually switched to fall-ball to compete with the nfl. THAT is what did them in... Who knows, if they had stayed summer, what might have happened.
01-22-2014 12:24 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(01-22-2014 11:12 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  Football=Fall.
If there was football being played in the spring, some people would watch. Shoot, 90,000 go to Alabama spring scrimmages.
01-22-2014 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(01-22-2014 12:30 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 11:12 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  Football=Fall.
If there was football being played in the spring, some people would watch. Shoot, 90,000 go to Alabama spring scrimmages.

I'm sure they would (hell I probably would) but for me I'd rather ODU stay in the CAA and FCS then join the G5 if it meant games wouldn't start when the air was getting cold.

I fear all this chasing the money is going to suck the fun out of the game. All this semi-pro bs and losing regional rivals in cfb doesn't seem worth it to me as a fan.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 12:39 PM by mturn017.)
01-22-2014 12:38 PM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
I just don't see why so many P5 fans seem annoyed at the very existence of G5. When the Big East was a BCS league with UConn in it, I had no such feelings. It really didn't matter much to me that there were other FBS programs that weren't in BCS leagues. I didn't pay attention to the non BCS leagues just like most P5 fans won't pay attention to the G5 going forward.

Why is it so hard to let fans of schools who are not currently in the P5 watch their teams during the regular college football season, hope they do really well, and get invited a high quality bowl game? How much does this really take away from the P5?
01-22-2014 05:05 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I don't think it would be a good idea for college football to play in the spring but if the NFL ever had minor leagues then that would be great in the spring. I couldn't imagine playing a football game down south around June and having the temperatures be near 100 degrees. Practicing in August is bad enough. Plus, the G5 schools couldn't get their paydays by traveling to a P5 school to get killed. A school like UL-Monroe would lose half their budget because they couldn't be schedule fodder for LSU.
01-22-2014 05:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.