Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is James Franklin destroying Vanderbilt's recruiting class
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Is James Franklin destroying Vanderbilt's recruiting class
james Franklin is no longer Vanderbilt's friend as recruiting class evaporates.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/201401...ting-class
01-20-2014 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: Is James Franklin destroying Vanderbilt's recruiting class
Their class is shot. After Gibson decommitted, likely for UCF or Tennessee, they are left with just one four-star player, Emmanuel Smith, who I fully expect will find another school shortly. They may not get a single player ranked in the national top 500.
01-20-2014 05:19 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
P5 football is a very shady, sleazy business. It just is.

G5 not quite as bad… but not exactly a Sunday school class, either.
01-20-2014 06:02 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Maybe they could go after Penn St.'s recruits. Franklin doesn't seem to be leaving a lot of room for them if he's offered 8 Vandy players.
01-20-2014 06:13 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Who cares if Franklin brings some Vanderbilt recruits to Penn State?
01-20-2014 06:15 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-20-2014 06:15 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Who cares if Franklin brings some Vanderbilt recruits to Penn State?

Bingo! He's just showing Penn State what he will do to them when he leaves there. And as for Vanderbilt it will be up to their new coach to make something happen. It's not like he's moving to a pressure cooker assignment. He'll have time.
01-20-2014 06:20 PM
Advertisement

NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
It's not like Vanderbilt is losing the type of talent that Alabama gets every year. I think Derek Mason will build on Franklin's success.
01-20-2014 06:24 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Some of these recruits might not have qualified at Vanderbilt without outside help anyway and that's possibly the reason They are switching with the Coach to Penn St. I don't see many Medical School Types in the ones They had anyway.
01-20-2014 08:22 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(01-20-2014 06:20 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-20-2014 06:15 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Who cares if Franklin brings some Vanderbilt recruits to Penn State?

Bingo! He's just showing Penn State what he will do to them when he leaves there. And as for Vanderbilt it will be up to their new coach to make something happen. It's not like he's moving to a pressure cooker assignment. He'll have time.

IF he ever leaves there. If he does, I think it would probably be for the NFL ranks, not another University. He is a Pennsylvania guy. This is a pinnacle job for him.
01-20-2014 08:22 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(01-20-2014 06:20 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

A swipe at Penn State? Not sure.

But taking recruits with you is nothing new, nor is it illegal or unethical. Get over it people.

Penn State is easily one of the best programs in the Big Ten. It's about as destination job as it gets. Top-end conference. Top-end recruiting grounds (PA and now significant inroads to NJ and MD). Top-end attendance/fan interest. Top-end money.

(01-20-2014 08:22 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Some of these recruits might not have qualified at Vanderbilt without outside help anyway and that's possibly the reason They are switching with the Coach to Penn St. I don't see many Medical School Types in the ones They had anyway.

A pretty low comment. I'm sure UL is churning out the academically elite.
01-20-2014 09:49 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
He goes from a school where he helped to cover up a rape... to a school where they covered up several rapes.

And people expect anything different?
01-20-2014 09:51 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
I think Vandy made a great hire in Mason. They should get a good amount of California recruits coming in. Would love to see Vandy continue to climb the SEC ranks.
01-20-2014 09:55 PM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
(01-20-2014 09:51 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  He goes from a school where he helped to cover up a rape... to a school where they covered up several rapes.

Franklin didn't cover up anything at Vandy, it was invested and proven that he wasn't involved in any capacity.
01-20-2014 10:06 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(01-20-2014 10:06 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  
(01-20-2014 09:51 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  He goes from a school where he helped to cover up a rape... to a school where they covered up several rapes.

Franklin didn't cover up anything at Vandy, it was invested and proven that he wasn't involved in any capacity.

People will make up whatever they like in order to say something they think sounds smart.
01-20-2014 11:12 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(01-20-2014 11:12 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(01-20-2014 10:06 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  

People will make up whatever they like in order to say something they think sounds smart.

No, I was not trying to sound like anything other than someone with any opinion. Granted, I possibly should not have used the term "covered up"...

Remember that some folks in State College still think that Paterno did not "know anything" about the rapes that were occurring on campus. For them to hire someone who oversaw a program where a rape scandal had recently taken place speaks volumes...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...s-franklin

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...n/4396979/

http://www.centredaily.com/2014/01/19/39...ntion.html

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.s..._scan.html

From the article above: “There’s been allegations about Coach Franklin," Nashville Deputy District Attorney Tom Thurman said. "We just wanted to state clearly that there’s no evidence whatsoever where Coach Franklin was involved in any way in the cover-up or has done anything inappropriate."

That's a mighty strong statement of "support", don't you think? He's not even been charged with a crime; goodness, the guy who was falsely accused of the Olympic Park bombings in Atlanta did not get a statement this strong even after he was cleared (to the best of my memory; I'm too tired to look it up).

Good night.
01-21-2014 03:35 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(01-20-2014 06:02 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  P5 football is a very shady, sleazy business. It just is.

I don't know. I've generally thought that a lot of G5 schools are even dirtier than the P5. Particularly Sun Belt and C-USA schools. They're competing at a huge disadvantage and they take chances (which may be perceived as cheating) to level the playing field a bit.

Like the Derrick Rose situation. Everyone knew he was a lottery pick, but the big conference programs pulled their offers. They had other good players to enroll and didn't want to take the chance on someone that might get them in trouble.

My school isn't always innocent either. Cincinnati took a similar risk with Lance Stephenson. We were in a major conference, but we were still reeling from the loss of two recruiting classes after the debacle of firing Huggins, and had just finished last in the Big East. He was lower risk than Rose (which is why he didn't fall any farther), but it was still a risk that caused Kansas and Arizona to pull their offers.
01-21-2014 05:52 AM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-21-2014 05:52 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(01-20-2014 06:02 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  P5 football is a very shady, sleazy business. It just is.

I don't know. I've generally thought that a lot of G5 schools are even dirtier than the P5. Particularly Sun Belt and C-USA schools. They're competing at a huge disadvantage and they take chances (which may be perceived as cheating) to level the playing field a bit.
These things are probably impossible to quantify exactly. My impression remains that P5 is worse because there is so much more money at stake, therefore the pressures to get results are so much greater.
01-21-2014 11:51 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(01-21-2014 11:51 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

These things are probably impossible to quantify exactly. My impression remains that P5 is worse because there is so much more money at stake, therefore the pressures to get results are so much greater.

Good points both ways. Definitely more pressure to win in P5 programs, but G5 coaches who want to win in a hurry do have to take more risks. Non-P5 coaches also have the added "benefit" of less scrutiny from the media. If something shady happens in the hoops program at UCLA or Kentucky, or at one of the top SEC football programs, there are two dozen media guys who might find it or have it leaked to them. If it's New Mexico State or Western Michigan, maybe no one is paying attention.
01-21-2014 12:03 PM
AQKnightro Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF
(01-21-2014 12:03 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Good points both ways. Definitely more pressure to win in P5 programs, but G5 coaches who want to win in a hurry do have to take more risks. Non-P5 coaches also have the added "benefit" of less scrutiny from the media. If something shady happens in the hoops program at UCLA or Kentucky, or at one of the top SEC football programs, there are two dozen media guys who might find it or have it leaked to them. If it's New Mexico State or Western Michigan, maybe no one is paying attention.

I don't think schools such as UCF or USF have any less pressure to win than P5 schools.
01-21-2014 03:59 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

(01-21-2014 03:59 PM)AQKnightro Wrote:  
(01-21-2014 12:03 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

I don't think schools such as UCF or USF have any less pressure to win than P5 schools.

I think it depends on the school really. Top G5 schools, or G5 schools with the most fan support may be a little pushier than some schools like Iowa State, Washington State, Oregon State etc..

I think it really depends on the administration at the time. That's why you see teams like Iowa St, Oregon St, Washington State, Purdue, Northwestern etc fluctuate so much. A coach may have an outstanding year and finish the season ranked so the admin says "okay, we'll let him stay.." a few losing seasons go by...tensions are growing but then BAM! another season in the polls, and the contract is extended.

That's why you don't see a strong national following at those schools. Bandwagon fans like a winner, despite their popularity in their own region.
01-21-2014 04:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.