Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rice Mens Tennis (0) vs. University of Texas (7)
mens sana Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: owls
Rice Mens Tennis (0) vs. University of Texas (7)
Dual Season underway. Rice we got a problem.
01-17-2014 10:37 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
RE: Rice Mens Tennis (0) vs. University of Texas (7)
Well
01-19-2014 12:32 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
http://www.riceowls.com/sports/w-tennis/...14aaa.html

More encouraging news as far as tennis goes. The women have a really solid tournament next weekend in Austin against three other top-25 teams (Florida State in the opener, and then either Texas or Auburn in the next match). That should be a good indication of where they are as a team.
01-19-2014 12:39 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
(01-19-2014 12:39 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://www.riceowls.com/sports/w-tennis/...14aaa.html

More encouraging news as far as tennis goes. The women have a really solid tournament next weekend in Austin against three other top-25 teams (Florida State in the opener, and then either Texas or Auburn in the next match). That should be a good indication of where they are as a team.
That's going to be a great weekend of tennis. FYI,last year's results, FSU defeated Rice 4-2 and Rice beat Texas 4-3.
01-19-2014 12:48 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Men:#24 LSU defeats Rice 4-3. Last point decided at #1 in the 3rd set (tiebreaker).
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2014 04:09 PM by dragon2owl.)
01-19-2014 04:09 PM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Just curious. What were your impressions of yesterday's match with LSU?
01-20-2014 05:41 PM
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(01-20-2014 05:41 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Just curious. What were your impressions of yesterday's match with LSU?

Recap from Rice SID:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOhIs2S...e=youtu.be
01-20-2014 07:01 PM
ricetennis Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice and UT
The 3-4 loss to LSU is a huge missed opportunity, could even be season defining. Getting blanked 0-7 by Texas exposed the weakness of this team. To have a chance against any top 30 team this team needs to win the doubles point, which they did with LSU, because the line-up lacks the depth to win four singles matches. Lines 5 and 6 are very weak against any competitive team, and the line 1 player has no wins against any top 50 players.

Another concern going forward if any of the stronger players get injured, there is no one to step in who is competitive. Another concern is recruiting has been more piece meal than strategic. Understand it’s hard to recruit when a team is unranked, but seems that the new coach has gotten off to a particularly slow start considering he was the assistant for 8 years, and clearly don’t understand why he brought in a recruit in January that has no track record in either juniors or the pros. My concern is that being a former Rice alum with a four year contract there is no fire to create a top 20 team like we are seeing with the new U of H women’s coach who got the top 6th recruiting class his first year.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 09:33 PM by ricetennis.)
01-20-2014 09:29 PM
mens sana Offline
Water Engineer

(01-20-2014 05:41 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Just curious. What were your impressions of yesterday's match with LSU?

Respectable score. It's key to win the Doubles and Rice won the Doubles. I will say I'm not a fan of the new scoring system as I think it shrinks the Doubles game and makes it a toss up, but a Doubles win is a win and that means all you have to do is win 50% of the Singles matches which they almost did!

Nevertheless, the team needs to play more highly ranked teams to establish a true and respectable ranking. I feel top 25 should be achievable given everything else Rice has to offer including Athletic Scholarships to recruit players.

Upcoming are a bunch of fluff matches which every year gives the team a respectable win/loss record (hence Ron Smarr's record), but bottom line you need to beat highly ranked team's to achieve a high ranking and this has yet to happen for two reasons - the strength of schedule and the strength of recruiting.

If I were a gifted player, I would think twice before joining the Rice Team because the strength of schedule is so weak that I would have difficulty establishing myself as a top college player.
01-24-2014 09:45 PM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Right. After Sunday's double header, the next three matches are Mississippi State, Texas Tech and Northwestern...
01-24-2014 10:19 PM
ricetennis Offline
Water Engineer

(01-24-2014 10:19 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Right. After Sunday's double header, the next three matches are Mississippi State, Texas Tech and Northwestern...

Very quick 0-4 loss to Northwestern. Egads!
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 06:14 PM by ricetennis.)
02-07-2014 07:36 PM
Advertisement

mens sana Offline
Water Engineer

(01-24-2014 10:19 PM)Houston Owl Wrote:  Right. After Sunday's double header, the next three matches are Mississippi State, Texas Tech and Northwestern...

You are right. That didn't go so well did it?. Mississippi State (5-2), Texas Tech (4-2), and Northwestern (4-0). Now back to the fluff. Should be able to beat a non-athletic scholarship school tomorrow in Cornell ranked 62. Good luck!
02-07-2014 07:37 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice
(01-24-2014 09:45 PM)mens sana Wrote:  If I were a gifted player, I would think twice before joining the Rice Team because the strength of schedule is so weak that I would have difficulty establishing myself as a top college player.

We understand that you are not happy with the men's tennis team. We all figured that out months ago. You made your point. But, in my opinion, you have crossed the line by openly trying to discourage any potential recruit from considering our program. Should you wish to make more specific points, perhaps you might privately contact our new athletic director.

I, for one, support Efe, and believe that he is the right man for the job. A little patience will pay huge dividends.
02-07-2014 08:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ricetennis Offline
Water Engineer

(02-07-2014 08:21 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  
(01-24-2014 09:45 PM)mens sana Wrote:  If I were a gifted player, I would think twice before joining the Rice Team because the strength of schedule is so weak that I would have difficulty establishing myself as a top college player.

We understand that you are not happy with the men's tennis team. We all figured that out months ago. You made your point. But, in my opinion, you have crossed the line by openly trying to discourage any potential recruit from considering our program. Should you wish to make more specific points, perhaps you might privately contact our new athletic director.

I, for one, support Efe, and believe that he is the right man for the job. A little patience will pay huge dividends.

I find your remark somewhat defensive. Potential recruits don't read this blog. So you can't blame the inability for Rice's men's tennis to pen a top recruit on any comments made on this board by any blogger. Excuses are just that, results are just that and facts are the facts. This is not rocket science. Top recruits look for teams with strong records, strong playing schedules and a solid line-up, and that has nothing to do with what is said on this blog. Are we Waiting for Godot? Lets get real here.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 10:43 PM by ricetennis.)
02-07-2014 10:23 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(02-07-2014 10:23 PM)ricetennis Wrote:  

I find your remark somewhat defensive. Potential recruits don't read this blog, or if they did I would be very surprised. So you can't blame the inability for Rice's men's tennis to pen a top recruit on any comments made on this board. Excuses are just that, results are just that and facts are the facts. Top recruits look for teams with strong records, strong playing schedules and a solid line-up and that has nothing to do with what is said on this blog. Are we Waiting for Godot? Lets get real here.

Oh they don't? You know this for a fact?

He wasn't blaming comments like that for Rice Men's Tennis struggling. But they don't freaking help. Top recruits also look for top flight facilities, which we are about to have.

And yeah, we get your and mens sana's point. You don't like the direction the team is going. Saying the same stuff over and over again here isn't going to change that. I would take WRC's advice and talk to the AD about it.
02-07-2014 10:45 PM
ricetennis Offline
Water Engineer

(02-07-2014 10:45 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 10:23 PM)ricetennis Wrote:  

I find your remark somewhat defensive. Potential recruits don't read this blog, or if they did I would be very surprised. So you can't blame the inability for Rice's men's tennis to pen a top recruit on any comments made on this board. Excuses are just that, results are just that and facts are the facts. Top recruits look for teams with strong records, strong playing schedules and a solid line-up and that has nothing to do with what is said on this blog. Are we Waiting for Godot? Lets get real here.

Oh they don't? You know this for a fact?

He wasn't blaming comments like that for Rice Men's Tennis struggling. But they don't freaking help. Top recruits also look for top flight facilities, which we are about to have.

And yeah, we get your and mens sana's point. You don't like the direction the team is going. Saying the same stuff over and over again here isn't going to change that. I would take WRC's advice and talk to the AD about it.

Solution = top flight facility. If is were that easy Rice men's would have penned a top recruit for next year, and been able to bring in a solid player mid-season. More complicated than that. The new women's coach at UH penned a top recruiting class his first season without a top flight facility or the ranking of a top 20 academic institution. The Rice womens team penned top recruits in the old stadium. Really there is an old expression, if you cant stand the heat don't go into the kitchen. My suggestion would be for Efe to go to every top junior tournament when Rice is not in season to RECRUIT as a first step. I don't believe he went to Eddie Herr but please correct me if I am wrong. If this blog is satisfied with mediocrity that that is what you will get. If you want this blog to be full of fluff than so be it but that is pointless. And tennis recruits do not read this blog I can assure you. Also I don't think you can say what WRI meant. I have never strayed from the facts! Looks like Rice mens tennis is not going to make the NCAAs again this year. What is your suggestion.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 11:32 PM by ricetennis.)
02-07-2014 11:14 PM
Advertisement

Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Just out of curiousity...what is the men's team travel budget and recruiting budget? I don't know exact numbers so please inform us. How much did you contribute to that budget? Just give us the facts because we now know that facts are facts....
02-08-2014 09:09 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(02-07-2014 08:21 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Should you wish to make more specific points, perhaps you might privately contact our new athletic director.

(02-07-2014 10:45 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  Saying the same stuff over and over again here isn't going to change that. I would take WRC's advice and talk to the AD about it.
But idle complaining is evidently the entire purpose of rice tennis/mens sana's posts here! Asking a whiner to stop whining and start being useful is like asking a leopard to change his spots -- it would be contrary to his very identity.

Being constructive takes insight, planning, thoughtfulness and work. It's hard and not fun. :(
As many Parliamentarians know full well, it is much more satisfying to anonymously lob repetitive complaints while doing nothing useful.
02-08-2014 11:47 AM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I also find it curious that ricetennis/mens sana joined the Parliament within two hours of each other on January 16, 2011...
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 12:53 PM by Houston Owl.)
02-08-2014 12:52 PM
owlowlowl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Owls
This is getting pathetic menssana/ricetennis ... who has the time or energy to constantly harp on every tiny happening of the team and try to drag someone thru the mud at every perceived opportunity? I hope you find some peace in your life.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 04:08 PM by owlowlowl.)
02-08-2014 03:59 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.