Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jim Nantz speaks at ncaa convention
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Jim Nantz speaks at ncaa convention
and comments on stipends.

Excerpt:

Everyone, it seems, has an opinion about whether college athletes should get stipends — even Nantz.

“I still think the value of an education is so ridiculously underplayed in this world,” Nantz said in response to a question from a student-athlete after his speech. “All these pay-for-play models that people talk about with really uneducated views, they don’t understand that we are giving people a wonderful chance to advance for the rest of their lives.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/...jim-nantz/

The transfer rule may change for athletes too.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/15...a-meeting/
01-16-2014 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
RE: Jim Nantz speaks at ncaa convention
That's all well and good, but if the schools can make any change they want to make more money, then it makes sense the players can too. The schools wanted CCGs, wanted a 12th game annually, wanted bigger stadiums, wanted more expensive tickets, were willing to alter rules to appease TV (change in rules in time clock start a few years back), etc.

Well, they got all that. The cost should be that they also must accept that players can make money off it too. It doesn't have to be directly paid. Just let them use the free market the same way with endorsement deals or over the table booster donations. I don't like how that would change the sport, but the schools were the ones who started it that direction and it's a 2 way street.
01-16-2014 10:52 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(01-16-2014 08:41 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  and comments on stipends.

Excerpt:

Everyone, it seems, has an opinion about whether college athletes should get stipends — even Nantz.

“I still think the value of an education is so ridiculously underplayed in this world,” Nantz said in response to a question from a student-athlete after his speech. “All these pay-for-play models that people talk about with really uneducated views, they don’t understand that we are giving people a wonderful chance to advance for the rest of their lives.”

There are some outstanding new media classes offered that Jim surely missed out on in his time in college. Syracuse is willing to give Jim a full ride scholarship to take his classes, and Jim can use the coverage of the NCAA tournament, the Masters, and the NFL for class credit. Heck, Syracuse will even pay for him to go to those events as well as a daily stipend. Jim is not going to need any additional income; Syracuse is covering all of it. I think Syracuse receiving the revenue that Jim generates in exchange for a priceless education is really a steal for him.
01-16-2014 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(01-16-2014 08:41 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  ...they don’t understand that we are giving people a wonderful chance to advance for the rest of their lives.”

When you take this quote and apply it to the UNC scandal, you'll see that (in at least one case, but let's be real, it's happening to some degree everywhere) a fair number of athletes are NOT being given a REAL education, even at an academically prestigious school like UNC.
01-16-2014 11:04 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(01-16-2014 10:58 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  There are some outstanding new media classes offered that Jim surely missed out on in his time in college. Syracuse is willing to give Jim a full ride scholarship to take his classes, and Jim can use the coverage of the NCAA tournament, the Masters, and the NFL for class credit. Heck, Syracuse will even pay for him to go to those events as well as a daily stipend. Jim is not going to need any additional income; Syracuse is covering all of it. I think Syracuse receiving the revenue that Jim generates in exchange for a priceless education is really a steal for him.

Haha, I love it.
01-16-2014 11:04 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-16-2014 08:41 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  and comments on stipends.

Excerpt:

They are tightening the transfer rules. Seems kind of contradictory to what they are doing on stipends. It does give them a 6th year for hardship, but eliminates the possibility of getting immediate waivers.

"The NCAA also will vote this week on a change to its transfer regulations that would give student-athletes who transfer schools the ability to petition the NCAA for a sixth year in which to complete their four years of eligibility.

Those seeking transfers still would have to demonstrate hardship — for instance, a family illness that requires the student-athlete to attend a school closer to home. However, the big difference is that if the rule change passes, the NCAA would no longer grant these student-athletes waivers that allow them to play immediately. "
01-16-2014 11:30 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(01-16-2014 11:04 AM)Chappy Wrote:  
(01-16-2014 10:58 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  There are some outstanding new media classes offered that Jim surely missed out on in his time in college. Syracuse is willing to give Jim a full ride scholarship to take his classes, and Jim can use the coverage of the NCAA tournament, the Masters, and the NFL for class credit. Heck, Syracuse will even pay for him to go to those events as well as a daily stipend. Jim is not going to need any additional income; Syracuse is covering all of it. I think Syracuse receiving the revenue that Jim generates in exchange for a priceless education is really a steal for him.

Haha, I love it.

Me too. Well played.
01-16-2014 11:33 AM
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Why conceal it. College sports for football and BB are the minor leagues for each of the pro counterparts. Might as well make the colleges pay them.

OK, they don't conceal it.
01-16-2014 10:13 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Been saying it for a long time. Division 4 needs to be where you must pay players 10$/hour (All practice time, team meetings, and games) in each sport. And before anyone says this is not possible look at head coach salaries alone.
01-16-2014 10:49 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Jim Nantz's opinion will mean nothing in the end. He was a recognizable name to have as a speaker. What he said will have zero sway. Even folks who will eventually vote FOR the stipend probably agree with him and yet they will vote for the stipend.
01-16-2014 10:51 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-16-2014 10:52 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  That's all well and good, but if the schools can make any change they want to make more money, then it makes sense the players can too. The schools wanted CCGs, wanted a 12th game annually, wanted bigger stadiums, wanted more expensive tickets, were willing to alter rules to appease TV (change in rules in time clock start a few years back), etc.

Well, they got all that. The cost should be that they also must accept that players can make money off it too. It doesn't have to be directly paid. Just let them use the free market the same way with endorsement deals or over the table booster donations. I don't like how that would change the sport, but the schools were the ones who started it that direction and it's a 2 way street.
At the P5 level, college sports has been edging closer and closer to becoming an outright minor league (or developmental league for the NFL and the NBA) for a long time. This, combined with the pious blather about "Student-Athletes", etc., has resulted in a lot of hypocrisy and bullish*t in the world of "big-time" college sports. And even the "small-time" programs are not completely immune. I think everyone who participates in this website knows that.

So maybe it would be healthier for everyone if we simply cut the umbilical cord, so to speak, and declare that all of these guys (college players) are essentially free-agents, and let them make whatever financial arrangements they can with whoever they can and let them play for whichever university is willing to have them. Then the semi-pro (or simply, pro) status of the Crimson Tide and the Gators and the Ducks and everyone else can be openly acknowledged and we can move forward from there.

But make no mistake, what ohio1317 is suggesting would -- definitely and inevitably -- lead to that result. When/if we stipulate that "players can make money off it too" then no holds are barred and you will instantly see all the drama of pro sports -- holdouts, negotiations, trades, etc. -- take place in the "college" realm, too. Some people will be okay with that and some people won't be. But let's just be clear about this beforehand: that is exactly what will happen.
01-16-2014 11:33 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-16-2014 10:49 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Been saying it for a long time. Division 4 needs to be where you must pay players 10$/hour (All practice time, team meetings, and games) in each sport. And before anyone says this is not possible look at head coach salaries alone.
Oh, it's unquestionably possible.

But the $10/hr. figure is meaningless. Once that door is opened, schools will be paying whatever they want. "Stars" will get more than back-ups. People will demand raises, they will "hold-out" of practice if their demands aren't met, they will openly seek out their worth on the market. It will be just like the pros.
01-16-2014 11:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.