Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo Rocket Logo Signs to be Replaced?
Bookmark and Share
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
It appears that Mayor Dennis M. Collins is considering replacing the current Welcome to Toledo Signs featuring the Rocket logo. The new signs would read You Will Do Better in Toledo.

It is mentioned at the beginning and near the end of the article.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Politics/2014...rport.html
01-16-2014 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
RE: Toledo Rocket Logo Signs to be Replaced?
If they change them, ill write a letter. Blatant waste of money
01-16-2014 09:05 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(01-16-2014 09:05 AM)T4C8 Wrote:  If they change them, ill write a letter. Blatant waste of money

So were the Rocket signs from a purely financial standpoint. I doubt that either sign has or will attract new business to Toledo. Still, I liked that someone was showing some pride in the city.
01-16-2014 09:16 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Too bad, but I figured he would probably do that. Mayor Cableknit is such a narcissist I'll be surprised if he doesn't put his own picture on the signs.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 09:32 AM by Toledo Football 1st.)
01-16-2014 09:32 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Collins has no problem wasting money/time. Blah reporting city workers will also be forced to use Toledo Express. I'm all for seeing the airport succeed, but if the cost to taxpayers is less to fly out of Detroit, what is a better use of taxpayer money? It may be cheaper for some flights, but 3 connecting flights later, a city employee has now just wasted several hours of taxpayer time. Tough call all fronts.

Collins is also re-opening that police substation on Sylvania. The dabate could be long and controversial, but he's spending $120K of taxpayer money to open it up. A building doesn't put police on the street. Not sure if the money can be used in other ways or if it has to be used for renovations and not people, but there are other sub-stations and I believe it's a duplication of services.

I feared the UT city signage would be gone when he took over. It was fun while it lasted. I guess it's the Mayor's job to brand the city and not just UT, so I"m not suprised those are coming down. I also noticed the little stickers on our gas pumps from Anita Lopez no longer say "Go Rockets."

Will Collins also paint over the Rocket logo on the big city warehouse on I-75?
01-16-2014 11:45 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
Collins= The worst thing to happen to Toledo since Carty and Jack Ford.
01-16-2014 11:52 AM
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
As a Toledo resident watching the election was like watching a train wreck before our eyes. It's still amazing to me that Bell lost. I heard him speak on multiple occaisions and the common sense decisions he was making on behalf of the city as part of his job were spot on. He was as serious as a heart attack about seeing the city succeed. You have to be an very challenged to not see that Bell had the city going in the right direction. Electing Collins, just teleported us back into the Carty years. Depressing.
01-16-2014 12:20 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
(01-16-2014 09:16 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(01-16-2014 09:05 AM)T4C8 Wrote:  If they change them, ill write a letter. Blatant waste of money

So were the Rocket signs from a purely financial standpoint. I doubt that either sign has or will attract new business to Toledo. Still, I liked that someone was showing some pride in the city.

Old signs had Carty's name on them. Needed to be replaced for Bell.

The new signs are in perfectly good shape and do not have the name of the previous mayor on them. Waste of money for new signs
01-16-2014 02:14 PM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Here's hoping they remove that gaudy thing on the overpass near downtown too?
01-16-2014 02:23 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Blade in an earlier article made the point of noting Mayor Collins was wearing a UT sweatshirt. He is I believe, a UT grad. I doubt there's anything anti "UT" in the decision, which isn't a decision yet. Maybe just putting it out there to see if it floats.

The slogan, "better in Toledo" just doesn't hit me. I realize that maybe there is some history to it, from a 100 yers ago but it just isn't catchy and it's hollow. It's like saying "I'm the smartest" without having done anything to back it up. It's sloganism. Of course, I do have a bias towards the Rocket, not just because it is UTs but because it's a recognizable brand and I think it looks cool. No one is going to put "better in Toledo" on national broadcasts. No one is going to recognize it. No one passing through town is going to think it has any substance. Whether it motivates anyone living IN town, waits to be seen. I'm not feeling motivated by it.

Good signs already up. Nationally recognized brand with free advertising every time the university plays. It associates the city with technology. Perhaps new signs would give the machining shops something to do or will placate BG grads working and maybe even living within the city but in the overall, the proposed slogan is a step back.

Maybe they ought to market survey it OUTSIDE the city before making a change? Without some support for an economic gain, a change makes no sense at all to me. It would be wasteful.
01-16-2014 02:58 PM
daveedav Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TOLEDO
(01-16-2014 02:23 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Here's hoping they remove that gaudy thing on the overpass near downtown too?

Ah C'mon, thats uncalled for...none of us complain about you guys putting the wastewater plant on the highway exit for BGSU, so everyone knows what a sh1thole they just arrived at...
01-16-2014 03:12 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-16-2014 03:12 PM)daveedav Wrote:  
(01-16-2014 02:23 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Here's hoping they remove that gaudy thing on the overpass near downtown too?

Ah C'mon, thats uncalled for...none of us complain about you guys putting the wastewater plant on the highway exit for BGSU, so everyone knows what a sh1thole they just arrived at...

I didn't realize that smell was a wastewater plant. They should put up a sign or something.
01-16-2014 03:23 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(01-16-2014 03:23 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  I didn't realize that smell was a wastewater plant. They should put up a sign or something.

Why they have, it says "Welcome to Bowling Green State Univerity, A Brown Community"...
01-16-2014 04:11 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

03-lmfao
01-16-2014 04:28 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(01-16-2014 12:41 PM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(01-16-2014 11:52 AM)utpotts Wrote:  Collins= The worst thing to happen to Toledo since Carty and Jack Ford.

+1

As the WHO would so eloquently say - " Meet the new boss(Collins) same as the old boss(Finkbiener, Ford) ".
- " We won't get fooled again ". - YEAH RIGHT !!!
01-16-2014 05:00 PM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!

It's not on the highway exit for BGSU (Wooster St.). It's on the next road toward the north, Poe Road. Hence the Poe Ditch festival.

The water plant used to be closer to campus across from the airport on Poe Road back in the 50's. It was moved to its present location in 1982.
01-16-2014 05:02 PM
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(01-16-2014 09:16 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

If he wants to add a slogan, all he has to do is add it under the existing signs..... That way the tax payers don't have to fit the bill for a completely new sign at a lower cost.
01-16-2014 06:39 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Toledo has their own sign shop. Cost is minimal. Mayor wants his name on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-16-2014 07:22 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(01-16-2014 02:58 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  will placate BG grads working and maybe even living within the city but in the overall, the proposed slogan is a step back.

Or even non BY grads like RWT.
01-16-2014 08:11 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

03-lmfao 03-rotfl
01-16-2014 11:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.