Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rumor on new UAB Coach
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Rumor on new UAB Coach
According to CFT on NBC.com, Bill Clark likely to be the new UAB head football coach.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...new-coach/

I don't know anything about him, but he certainly did well at Jacksonville State and has Div. 1 experience. How will Blazer fans feel about this hire?
01-14-2014 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: Rumor on new UAB Coach
Go to BlazerTalk to find out. Entire thread devoted to Bill.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-671946.html
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 11:21 AM by BamaScorpio69.)
01-14-2014 11:20 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
Just a rumor right now. Eddie Gran (Cincy) and Ron Roberts (Southeast Louisiana) have also been mentioned by the coaching rumor sites.
01-14-2014 11:26 AM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(01-14-2014 11:26 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Just a rumor right now. Eddie Gran (Cincy) and Ron Roberts (Southeast Louisiana) have also been mentioned by the coaching rumor sites.

Didn't Roberts just sign a 3-year extension with SELA?
01-14-2014 11:52 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(01-14-2014 11:52 AM)CameramanJ Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 11:26 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Just a rumor right now. Eddie Gran (Cincy) and Ron Roberts (Southeast Louisiana) have also been mentioned by the coaching rumor sites.

Didn't Roberts just sign a 3-year extension with SELA?

Yes. I believe I saw his salary is somewhere around $165,000.
01-14-2014 11:54 AM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
I imagine UAB would pay him at least double that. Good for him to be considered, I guess. I was hoping to see him make SELA into an annual playoff team, but I'm sure he'd jump at the opportunity if he got the nod.
01-14-2014 12:00 PM
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Eddie Gran ALWAYS get mentioned as a HC canidate for every job but for some reason seems to get passed over. Everyone says hes a good recruiter, but he never get's the gig. I wonder why?
01-14-2014 12:28 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
Clark was the head coach at Prattville High School here in alabama, the only high school football program that I was aware that looked mighty Hoover High in the eye and made them blink consistently. Right now, I'm "sold" on Clark or Gran, either one of them get hired, I'll be renewing my season tickets. They bring in another Neil Callaway or Garrick McGee???

...Well, let's hope that doesn't happen this time around, and thanks to those of you who posted your sincere well wishes in this very difficult time for our football program and its' fan base, who has been screwed over time and time again, & is really up against it.
01-14-2014 12:31 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Rumor on new UAB Coach
(01-14-2014 12:28 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  Eddie Gran ALWAYS get mentioned as a HC canidate for every job but for some reason seems to get passed over. Everyone says hes a good recruiter, but he never get's the gig. I wonder why?

I'm wondering that as well. He has interviewed as seemingly a half dozen places the last two years.
01-14-2014 12:58 PM
GrayEagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Good coaches all. However, and this is just my opinion, I believe that you would be better off with one of the older heavy hitters. The hiring of Nutt, Leavitt or Bowden would have announced to the world that UAB is serious about football.

The advantage of those over an up-and-coming coach is largely one of perception but it also would carry more weight with alumni and potential donors. One might also carry more influence with the Board of Governors (or whatever the name of the UA Board is). Also, if a neophyte coach is successful he'll likely be gone soon.

Good luck, and I hope that whoever you get can be a factor in resolving your stadium issue.
01-14-2014 02:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
John Neal and Eddie Gran are rumored to be interviewing this week. Probably others too, but our AD is pretty good about keeping things quiet. Our last two coaches hired weren't being talked about much when they were announced.
01-14-2014 03:05 PM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
Is any consideration being given to Ellis Johnson? You know that guy would like to redeem himself as a head coach. And the 2013 season certainly gives one a new perspective on his performance in 2012. EJ would clearly have won at least 3-4 years in 2013, and, in hindsight did a damned good job at keeping us competitive throughout 2012.

I guess money could be an obstacle... but EJ is getting that nice $800,000 check from the brain trust up there in Hattiesburg every year. So maybe he could squeak by on a UAB salary.
01-14-2014 04:19 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Some of your oldsters may remember when UAB played defense.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=22690

Quote:Prior to arriving at Oregon during the spring of 2003, the 55-year-old Neal spent eight seasons coaching the defensive backs at Alabama-Birmingham. He served as defensive coordinator his last two seasons at UAB, where the Blazers ranked fifth in the country in total defense in 2001 (265.9 avg.). UAB was also among the national defensive leaders in 2000, ranking ninth in the country in scoring defense and 11th in total defense.
Helping UAB upgrade from the NCAA Division I-AA level to full I-A status in Conference USA, Neal assisted in building the Blazers’ program in many ways aside from his work on the field. He volunteered to be the team’s recruiting coordinator, a position he held for six years. He also assumed duties with UAB’s special teams, instructing punters, the punt return team and kick return team at some point during his eight-year tenure. The Blazers blocked nine punts, returning five for touchdowns, during a two-year span from 1999-2000.
01-14-2014 04:19 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-14-2014 04:19 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  Is any consideration being given to Ellis Johnson? You know that guy would like to redeem himself as a head coach. And the 2013 season certainly gives one a new perspective on his performance in 2012. EJ would clearly have won at least 3-4 years in 2013, and, in hindsight did a damned good job at keeping us competitive throughout 2012.

I guess money could be an obstacle... but EJ is getting that nice $800,000 check from the brain trust up there in Hattiesburg every year. So maybe he could squeak by on a UAB salary.

Don't quit your day job.
01-14-2014 04:20 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
You list USM and want to suggest we hire ELoss? I saw your message boards not so very long ago.

Yeesh. I'd rehire Callaway first.
01-14-2014 04:42 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I would not let Ellis Johnson coach my grandkid's pee wee team. He would F it up.
01-14-2014 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
The only reason he probably said for us to hire him is so that they could keep the win streak vs us going, he is after all a USM fan
01-14-2014 07:18 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(01-14-2014 07:18 PM)blazerwkr Wrote:  The only reason he probably said for us to hire him is so that they could keep the win streak vs us going, he is after all a USM fan

Well, Southern Miss never won a game that Ellis Johnson was involved in as a head coach.

If we did hire him, that's a death-wish for Southern Miss with regards to our series.
01-14-2014 09:17 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
We've got a good group of coaches with defensive experience so far. Nice list of names.
01-14-2014 10:06 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Hope UAB gets to hire who they think is best for their program and NOT who the pinheads like Paul Bryant Jr. think is "right" for them.
01-14-2014 10:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.