Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ND signs new licensing deal with Under Armour
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
ND signs new licensing deal with Under Armour
ND just switched from Addias to Under Armour.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...der-armour

@darrenrovell: Hearing Under Armour/Notre Dame deal will be largest deal in total $ committed in all of college sports licensing.
01-13-2014 08:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
RE: ND signs new licensing deal with Under Armour
Wow. Didn't see that coming. I wonder if ND felt addidas wasn't creating enough product for them.
01-13-2014 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hitch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
ND has been branching on with the Shamrock Series. UA is going to take that to a whole new level.
01-13-2014 09:15 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
It says licensing, so it could simply mean merch sales. Louisville is an Adidas school, but they too recently signed a deal with Under Armor for merch as well. Doesn't necessarily mean they're switching from Adidas on the field...though if they are, I agree that it's huge.
01-14-2014 07:46 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(01-14-2014 07:46 AM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  It says licensing, so it could simply mean merch sales. Louisville is an Adidas school, but they too recently signed a deal with Under Armor for merch as well. Doesn't necessarily mean they're switching from Adidas on the field...though if they are, I agree that it's huge.

We're switching the whole thing... Heck Adidas gear is marked 25-50% already at the bookstore!
01-14-2014 08:59 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
That's an interesting move. Honestly, I'm surprised UofL didn't have some sort of exclusivity agreement with Adidas that prevented the UA deal. I know if I were Adidas, I wouldn't like that deal AT ALL.
01-14-2014 09:28 AM
Advertisement

OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(01-14-2014 09:28 AM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  That's an interesting move. Honestly, I'm surprised UofL didn't have some sort of exclusivity agreement with Adidas that prevented the UA deal. I know if I were Adidas, I wouldn't like that deal AT ALL.

WVU has an Under Armor side deal too. Seems pretty common
01-14-2014 10:21 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Once again Notre Dame shows they are not team players in the ACC 03-wink
01-14-2014 11:34 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

It might be common because Adidas doesn't have enough leverage. I doubt UA has any deals at Nike schools. Seriously, Adidas pays for ALL of our sports teams' gear, and we're going to also license merchandise with Under Armour??
01-14-2014 11:36 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I never understood how this benefits either side.

The only way UA, Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc make money off this is by taking a larger cut for the apparel they sell to fans than they would without the sponsorship deal. But the school could just as easily source their merchandise through a generic brand, and they'd probably make more money doing that because costs would be lower. It's not like fans care whether they're getting an Adidas ND shirt or a generic brand ND shirt, so sales would be the same.
01-14-2014 11:57 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

(01-14-2014 11:57 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I never understood how this benefits either side.

The only way UA, Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc make money off this is by taking a larger cut for the apparel they sell to fans than they would without the sponsorship deal. But the school could just as easily source their merchandise through a generic brand, and they'd probably make more money doing that because costs would be lower. It's not like fans care whether they're getting an Adidas ND shirt or a generic brand ND shirt, so sales would be the same.

Fans most certainly care about brand. Everyone cares about brand to an extent. I'm assuming you drive a yugo since you don't care about brand so much.
01-14-2014 12:49 PM
Advertisement

OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(01-14-2014 11:36 AM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  It might be common because Adidas doesn't have enough leverage. I doubt UA has any deals at Nike schools. Seriously, Adidas pays for ALL of our sports teams' gear, and we're going to also license merchandise with Under Armour??

WVU is a Nike Elite school meaning that they supply every one of our teams with their uniforms and gear, we also have an Under Armor side deal...

[Image: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGh-GFZSm3CJS33lp_3...p;usqp=CAE]

[Image: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdSgslt6WAxZSs9pAph...p;usqp=CAE]
01-14-2014 05:00 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
The $$ numbers being rumored are $10 million a year for ten years.

No links yet, just rumors.
01-16-2014 10:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hitch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
Glad to see a Maryland business and UMD alum doing so well
01-16-2014 10:57 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

(01-14-2014 05:00 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 11:36 AM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  It might be common because Adidas doesn't have enough leverage. I doubt UA has any deals at Nike schools. Seriously, Adidas pays for ALL of our sports teams' gear, and we're going to also license merchandise with Under Armour??

WVU is a Nike Elite school meaning that they supply every one of our teams with their uniforms and gear, we also have an Under Armor side deal...

Am I the only one who finds this odd? I don't mean WVU specifically. It just seems strange that these companies would not push for exclusivity.
01-16-2014 10:59 AM
jnewyouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
It's odd, but I don't think many companies can afford an exclusivity agreement. Lots of money comes to Universities from Licensing their brand. And why would a University like UC want to sign an exclusivity agreement with Adidas that would limit the stores our product is sold in. It's good that people can buy crappy gear at Walmart and nicer gear at Victoria's Secret. Spreading your brand is more important than the label of the manufacturer.
01-16-2014 11:15 AM
Advertisement

Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
Sorry, I'm just envisioning Bearcat panties now...
01-16-2014 07:44 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-16-2014 07:44 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  Sorry, I'm just envisioning Bearcat panties now...

Apparel licensing FTW.
01-16-2014 08:26 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-16-2014 10:59 AM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 05:00 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  

Am I the only one who finds this odd? I don't mean WVU specifically. It just seems strange that these companies would not push for exclusivity.

Going 100% with one company could cut down on options for your patrons. ECU uses Nike for everything but in terms of ECU apparel you can get you can get Under Armor, New Era, Russell Athletic, Zeypher Hats, and a few others. I think the only major ones we don't have are Addidas or Reebok ( or at least I haven't seen anything).
01-16-2014 08:29 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

College athletics. It's not about the money, but the athletes, even at ND.
01-16-2014 09:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.