Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Josh Pastner claims there might be film of Wilt Chamberlain‘s 100 point game!
Bookmark and Share
oldmangrizz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
Josh Pastner claims there might be film of Wilt Chamberlain‘s 100 point game!
01-13-2014 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

herkermer Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Josh Pastner claims there might be film of Wilt Chamberlain‘s 100 point game!
(01-13-2014 08:21 AM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  This is great.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...oint-game/

Only coach in the country to use the phrase "conks out". Gotta love it!
#nerds
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 09:14 AM by herkermer.)
01-13-2014 08:39 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Josh Pastner claims there might be film of Wilt Chamberlain‘s 100 point game!
(01-13-2014 08:39 AM)herkermer Wrote:  

#nerds

Pastner had mentioned that before but I think he said it was audio tape.
01-13-2014 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pressed Rat Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Was he born then?
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 11:39 AM by Pressed Rat.)
01-13-2014 11:38 AM
Advertisement

mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(01-13-2014 11:38 AM)Pressed Rat Wrote:  Was he born then?

The game was in 1962. Pastner was born in 1977 so he wasn't even a gleam of a gleam in his fathers eye.
01-13-2014 11:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Wilt claimed to have had sex with 20,000 women - right. How many kids does he have? Anyone know?

Oh, so Hal was Wilt's taster? What was that about?
01-13-2014 02:01 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-13-2014 11:27 AM)mairving Wrote:  

#nerds

He and I talked about that tape several years ago. Now that you mention it, I can't really recall if he specified audio or video. But I think in the presser, he mentioned that it was "reel to reel," meaning video.
01-13-2014 02:05 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-13-2014 02:01 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Wilt claimed to have had sex with 20,000 women - right. How many kids does he have? Anyone know?

Oh, so Hal was Wilt's taster? What was that about?

Chamberlain was notoriously paranoid about everything. This was right before the Civil Rights Act. Back then, high-profile African-Americans were frequently harassed, and sometimes received anonymous death threats. Hank Aaron wrote a book about his experiences with that.

For whatever reason, Chamberlain was apparently concerned that somebody would slip poison into his drinks. So he only drank one type of drink, and according to Hal Pastner, who was the Sixers' ball boy, Wilt asked him to taste each one.

I guess Wilt thought it was okay to kill a ball boy, as long as he lived. 03-lmfao
01-13-2014 02:12 PM
UofM_Tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(01-13-2014 02:05 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

#nerds

He and I talked about that tape several years ago. Now that you mention it, I can't really recall if he specified audio or video. But I think in the presser, he mentioned that it was "reel to reel," meaning video.

Wouldn't "reel-to-reel" be audio?
01-13-2014 02:23 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-13-2014 02:23 PM)UofM_Tiger Wrote:  

#nerds

Well, I guess it could be either, but I always thought it referred to the old 8MM movie camera reels. And I thought Hal and his dad were actually at the game, so making an audio tape wouldn't make any sense. But not sure.

Might be a generation gap. Josh wouldn't remember those movie reels. Probably WAS referring to audio, since they just push a button now. But I just figured since Hal was a ball boy, that they were in attendance. Seems like Josh told me his dad "saw" the game. But I could be wrong. It was about 5 years ago that we discussed it. I do recall us talking about the fact there were only a couple of still photos of the game, so that made me think video, too.

Somebody should ask Josh, although I don't think it really matters, especially if they can't find it. I know others who saw that presser thought Josh was referring to video.

In fact, look at the headline in the linked article. It says "film." And Josh mentions the game was in "Hershey, PA," so that implies they were in attendance, again pointing to video, not audio.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 02:43 PM by TripleA.)
01-13-2014 02:33 PM
Advertisement

mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(01-13-2014 02:33 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 08:39 AM)herkermer Wrote:  Only coach in the country to use the phrase "conks out". Gotta love it!
#nerds

Well, I guess it could be either, but I always thought it referred to the old 8MM movie camera reels. And I thought Hal and his dad were actually at the game, so making an audio tape wouldn't make any sense. But not sure.

Might be a generation gap. Josh wouldn't remember those movie reels. Probably WAS referring to audio, since they just push a button now. But I just figured since Hal was a ball boy, that they were in attendance. Seems like Josh told me his dad "saw" the game. But I could be wrong. It was about 5 years ago that we discussed it. I do recall us talking about the fact there were only a couple of still photos of the game, so that made me think video, too.

Somebody should ask Josh, although I don't think it really matters, especially if they can't find it. I know others who saw that presser thought Josh was referring to video.

In fact, look at the headline in the linked article. It says "film." And Josh mentions the game was in "Hershey, PA," so that implies they were in attendance, again pointing to video, not audio.

According to this Tucson article back in 2006 Pastner's dad was in Philadelphia listening to the game on the radio and taped it.

Quote:On the night of March 2, 1962, the Warriors traveled to Hershey, Pa., to play the New York Knicks in front of 4,124 fans. There was no TV coverage. Bill Campbell was doing the radio play-by-play, and Hal Pastner and his father, Sid, were listening in Philadelphia.

and another story in the Houston paper confirms that:

Quote:Pastner was only 8 years old when he became one of the ballboys for the Philadelphia 76ers.
"I by chance happened to work a game and I really hustled," said Pastner. "In eight years, I missed only three games."

One of those three games was Wilt Chamberlain's now-famous 100-point contest.

"It was a school night, and the game was played in Hershey (Pa.)," Pastner said. "When Wilt had 32 points, my dad told me that something special was going to happen tonight. We then started (audio) taping the game. We later gave the tape to Wilt and his family.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 03:26 PM by mairving.)
01-13-2014 03:21 PM
anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: T.I.G.E.R.S
It's made the front of NYPost.com.

http://nypost.com/
01-13-2014 04:04 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-13-2014 04:04 PM)anothertigerfan Wrote:  It's made the front of NYPost.com.

http://nypost.com/

Moved off the front now. Here's the direct link:

http://nypost.com/2014/01/13/is-there-vi...oint-game/

And they still think it's video. :)
01-14-2014 12:44 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-13-2014 03:21 PM)mairving Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 02:33 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 11:27 AM)mairving Wrote:  Pastner had mentioned that before but I think he said it was audio tape.

According to this Tucson article back in 2006 Pastner's dad was in Philadelphia listening to the game on the radio and taped it.

Quote:On the night of March 2, 1962, the Warriors traveled to Hershey, Pa., to play the New York Knicks in front of 4,124 fans. There was no TV coverage. Bill Campbell was doing the radio play-by-play, and Hal Pastner and his father, Sid, were listening in Philadelphia.

and another story in the Houston paper confirms that:

Quote:Pastner was only 8 years old when he became one of the ballboys for the Philadelphia 76ers.
"I by chance happened to work a game and I really hustled," said Pastner. "In eight years, I missed only three games."

One of those three games was Wilt Chamberlain's now-famous 100-point contest.

"It was a school night, and the game was played in Hershey (Pa.)," Pastner said. "When Wilt had 32 points, my dad told me that something special was going to happen tonight. We then started (audio) taping the game. We later gave the tape to Wilt and his family.

Thanks. Let's hope the rest of the world finally figures it out. The NY Post has a new article up talking about video, lol.
01-14-2014 12:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.