Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
UC's Caupain making his presence known
UC's Caupain making his presence known
Jan. 12, 2014

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20140112&...ence-known]
Caupain (10) scored 14 points off the bench against Rutgers, making five of six shots from the field and two of three from 3-point range with two assists and four turnovers in 23 minutes. / The Enquirer/ Joseph Fuqua II

Written by
Bill Koch

Seventeen games into his freshman season, University of Cincinnati guard Troy Caupain already has crossed off one of the items on his bucket list.

Caupain did a little shoulder shimmy for the television cameras after he was fouled on a fast-break layup with 13:57 left in UC’s 71-51 victory over Rutgers on Saturday at Fifth Third Arena. His basket – off a feed from Sean Kilpatrick – gave the Bearcats a 50-42 lead after the Scarlet Knights had pulled even at 40-40. Caupain scored eight points during that UC run.

“Growing up, I’ve always wanted to do something like that,” Caupain said. “You watch TV and you see everybody else doing it – watching Cincinnati, watching SK, watching (Justin Jackson) making the mean face. It’s one of those, man, I want to do that. So when I got the opportunity, it was one I’ll never forget.”

Caupain scored 14 points off the bench against Rutgers, making five of six shots from the field and two of three from 3-point range with two assists and four turnovers in 23 minutes.

At 15-2 overall, 4-0 in the American Athletic Conference, UC will almost surely ascend to the Associated Press Top 25 when the new rankings come out Monday. The Bearcats were 26th last week and No. 25 Kansas State was soundly beaten by Kansas over the weekend. If it happens, it will be the first time UC has been ranked since the week of Feb. 11 last year, when it was No. 17. The Bearcats will be seeking their ninth straight victory Tuesday night against Temple at Fifth Third Arena.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Caupain, from Midlothian, Va., has averaged 7.2 points while shooting 45.1 percent from the field, 46.7 percent from 3-point range and 72.3 percent from the free-throw line. He has displayed great maturity for a freshman and a willingness to survey the landscape, listen to advice and work to improve his game.

“In high school I didn’t really shoot a lot of jump shots,” Caupain said. “Once I learned during open gym that I can’t get to the basket because everything was getting blocked, the coaches kept telling me you’ve got to learn to shoot under pressure.

“We used to go to the gym at night and during morning workouts before class in the summer. They would tell me just keep working on your shot. I finally realized what I’ve got to do and how to make myself open to shoot. Once I found that, it’s a big factor to my game now.”

Caupain has yet to start his first college game, with junior Ge’Lawn Guyn maintaining his hold on the point guard position in a starting lineup that has not changed this season. But Caupain has made his presence felt in a reserve role.

Not only has he impressed his coaches, he has made an impact on the veterans. When Kilpatrick first saw Caupain play last summer, he told UC coach Mick Cronin that Caupain was a good passer.

“Coach said, ‘Yeah, that’s why I recruited him,’” Kilpatrick said.

The UC coaches also recruited Caupain for his scoring ability. They believe he has the potential to be an outstanding point guard with his ability to push the ball down the floor in traffic and to make good decisions at the end of the break.

“He’s still got to learn to take care of the ball a little bit better,” Cronin said. “He still throws some high school passes, but he hit some big shots.”

Caupain also needs to work on his moves after making those big shots, but he figures he’ll have plenty of chances to perfect that part of his game.

“That was my first one,” he said. “We’ll see if I get more (chances) what I do.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20140...RONTPAGE|p

01-13-2014 03:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: UC's Caupain making his presence known
Outside of SK and JJ he's the next most valuable player on the team. I don't care who starts but he should be getting 30 minutes a night.

01-13-2014 07:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
We're seeing performance from the point guard position we haven't seen in years with Troy. He did look a little winded Saturday night at one point so I like Mick's strategy of using both he and Guyn.

01-13-2014 08:43 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(01-13-2014 08:43 AM)indycat Wrote:  We're seeing performance from the point guard position we haven't seen in years with Troy. He did look a little winded Saturday night at one point so I like Mick's strategy of using both he and Guyn.

Noticed that. He almost collapsed going back to the bench after one extended time on the court. Wonder if he is battling a bit of the flu/cold?

01-13-2014 09:41 AM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
You definitely need to be careful with freshman. They are not used to grueling three hour practices and a season that is so long. Plus you have to play at such a high level at D-1, so it is easy to burn them out. You see lots of freshman come in with a bang and end the season with a whimper if they are relied upon for too many minutes. The adjustment appears to be quite large.

01-13-2014 09:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I remember reading Titus say that he got worn down with the grueling season last year, and he came from junior college. Granted pf is gonna be more taxing than pg, but it is definitely something to consider.

We don't want to wear Troy out before the end of the season, even though he is clearly out performing G.

01-13-2014 11:11 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

We will NEED Troy come tournament time. We can probably get away with only playing Troy about half or so of many of our home conference games.

01-13-2014 11:19 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

I think Mick learned well from the old (real) Big East; it was survival of the fittest which often meant the team with the longest usable bench. That likely means that in the AAC there will be more nights when the starters won't have to go it alone and this team could be fresher come March.

01-13-2014 11:35 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
Troy reminds me a little bit of Anthony Buford.

01-13-2014 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.