Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on possibility of Franklin to PSU
Bookmark and Share
Terps_N_Phoenix Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
Thoughts on possibility of Franklin to PSU
While it isn't yet a "done deal" it appears that James Franklin will be the next head coach of PSU. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

As a Terps fan I think this is the worst case scenario for Maryland. Franklin was a head coach in waiting when Fridgen was here. He was an excellent recruiter of the DC area. While many fans were not thrilled with him when he was with the Terps, his success at Vandy has made many fans nervous with him possibly going to PSU. PSU has for a long time picked up many recruits from the NoVA/DC/MD area but with Franklin this may increase even more. We will see what happens with the Maryland Pride strategy. It has been quite effective in keeping some big recruits in the state. With that being said, I think it probably will hurt Maryland but be good for the B1G.

And for Rutgers fans…I don't remember where I saw it and it is likely someone just trolling but they said Schiano would be looked at as an assistant coach. Hows that for a big FU to the new guys?
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 11:00 PM by Terps_N_Phoenix.)
01-09-2014 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
RE: Thoughts on possibility of Franklin to PSU
I doubt Schiano would go back to college as an assistant. I could see him taking a DC job in the NFL though.

That being said Golden was a nightmare for Rutgers given his NJ roots and recruiting prowess and Franklin is the nightmare for Maryland. Neither one is good for either program as they both have ties in NJ and MD respectively but obviously they are each much stronger in one of the two states.
01-09-2014 11:06 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Feels like a good hire. Don't see Schiano as an assistant either. He'll end up a coach somewhere as long as he wants to. If not this year, then next.
01-11-2014 10:04 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Franklin is a great hire for Penn State, but he is also a puzzling one. He has an allegation of covering up an alleged rape that was carried out by two of his players. He allegedly received a call from them about the incident and he then allegedly he told them what to do to cover it up. This case is pending in Nashville. Given what has already transpired on Paterno's watch at Penn State I don't understand the rush to hire him. If his complicity in the matter were to be confirmed the negative connotations for Happy Valley would be rather dire. Under the circumstances I would have thought they would pass on Franklin.
01-12-2014 12:18 AM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.s...nst_1.html

“The district attorney has publicly stated he (Franklin) was not involved in a cover-up, based on their investigation… So there’s not even reason to speculate about that at this point,” Houser said.

What Deputy District Attorney General Tom Thurman said at a September hearing was this: "There’s been allegations about Coach Franklin. We just wanted to state clearly that there’s no evidence whatsoever where Coach Franklin was involved in any way in the cover-up or has done anything inappropriate. He’s cooperated with us."

But given Penn State's recent experience with the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, Houser added, her expectation can only be that those working on the Penn State coaching search have “turned this issue inside out.”

^^ That is my assumption as well. The poor guy needs to make a living somewhere.
01-12-2014 04:37 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-12-2014 04:37 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.s...nst_1.html

“The district attorney has publicly stated he (Franklin) was not involved in a cover-up, based on their investigation… So there’s not even reason to speculate about that at this point,” Houser said.

What Deputy District Attorney General Tom Thurman said at a September hearing was this: "There’s been allegations about Coach Franklin. We just wanted to state clearly that there’s no evidence whatsoever where Coach Franklin was involved in any way in the cover-up or has done anything inappropriate. He’s cooperated with us."

But given Penn State's recent experience with the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, Houser added, her expectation can only be that those working on the Penn State coaching search have “turned this issue inside out.”

^^ That is my assumption as well. The poor guy needs to make a living somewhere.

That's fair enough, I had not seen those reports. I just knew he was likely to be named in a civil suit if the criminal proceedings fell through. That's why I was wondering about what Penn State had done in the way of due diligence. I figured Franklin could easily go to many schools it's just that under his present circumstances Penn State seemed less likely. But they got a great coach when they hired him. He just needed to be certifiably clean IMO to take that job because of history.
01-12-2014 05:01 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
Re: Thoughts on possibility of Franklin to PSU
Hope he's prepared to get his ass beat by Dantonio and Meyer year in and year out.
01-12-2014 06:46 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Great hire for Penn State. Franklin appears to be a "lifer" if he performs well enough. I don't think he's ever been a coach in the NFL but that doesn't mean he wouldn't bolt. Everyone knew O'Brien would leave for the NFL and I thought PSU would have gotten another "bolter" as long as the sanctions were still hanging over the program to keep them afloat but Franklin looks like a keeper. Kudos to him and PSU.
01-12-2014 10:42 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
(01-09-2014 11:06 PM)brista21 Wrote:  I doubt Schiano would go back to college as an assistant. I could see him taking a DC job in the NFL though.

That being said Golden was a nightmare for Rutgers given his NJ roots and recruiting prowess and Franklin is the nightmare for Maryland. Neither one is good for either program as they both have ties in NJ and MD respectively but obviously they are each much stronger in one of the two states.

I can't decide if Franklin is worse for Maryland or Rutgers. Clearly he makes Maryland feel worse but then you try to figure out if Flood or Edsall stacks up worse against him and that's the kind of question that Kirk would use to blow up a robot in Star Trek.
01-13-2014 04:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.