ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Athlon gives Tuberville B-plus
Athlon gives Tuberville B-plus
01/09/14 at 3:32pm by Tom Groeschen

Athlon Sports gives University of Cincinnati football coach Tommy Tuberville a B-plus for his first season with the Bearcats. UC was 9-4 with a third-place finish in the American Athletic Conference (6-2 league record).

[Image: TubsSmu.jpg]
Athlon rated Tommy Tuberville No. 7 among new coaching hires. (The Enquirer/Joseph Fuqua II)

Athlon rates Tuberville No. 7 among the new coaching hires for 2013, saying:With the recent defections in the American Athletic Conference, Cincinnati has a chance to emerge as one of the top programs from the “Group of Five.” Three coaches – Brian Kelly, Butch Jones and Tuberville – have guided the Bearcats to at least nine wins since 2007.

Tuberville was a surprising hire at Cincinnati, but he kept the program on track with a third-place finish in the American Athletic. The Bearcats were soundly defeated by Illinois 45-17 in the second week of the season, but this team was close to finishing conference play with an unbeaten mark. Losses to Louisville and South Florida came by a touchdown or less.

Cincinnati lost its bowl game 39-17 to North Carolina, but Tuberville seems to have this program on solid footing. Don’t be surprised if the Bearcats are picked to win the American Athletic Conference in 2014.

Final Grade: B+

PS: Former UC coach Butch Jones was 13th on the Athlon list, getting a B for his 5-7 season at Tennessee.

Bearcat fans: Your thoughts?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2014/01/0...le-b-plus/

01-09-2014 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Athlon gives Tuberville B-plus
Generous grading applicable to all college environments, including coaching.

01-09-2014 08:58 PM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
I would give him a B. Transition years are usually bad and this one was VERY bad the first half of the season. That USF was pretty flukey though and UC got things on track in time to have a decent year. I give him credit for getting it figured out in wk7 instead of in March between year 1 and 2. The bowl game was disappointing, especially the lack of energy.

01-10-2014 10:03 AM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
B-. Typically 9 wins would be in the B+ range for sure but the schedule this year was simply that bad. UC had two really bad losses to both USF and Illinois and they were also totally unprepared for the bowl game.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 01:34 PM by Marcus.)
01-10-2014 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DMT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
We were destroyed by Illinois, lost to USF and then embarrassed himself again against a pretty bad UNC team. I think Athlon smokes meth out of light bulbs. Quite frankly, this year was a disappointment and the staff can go screw. The recruiting has been "bleh" too. Eddie Gran's offense is down right painful to watch. I get no joy out of watch 160 lbs scat backs, trying to plow their way between the tackles, and then they kept having McClung do kick returns. What the hell was that about? How many times did he have mental mistakes this year doing returns? Heads up their rears, bunch of old fogies.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 11:53 AM by DMT.)
01-10-2014 11:43 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I'd give him a B-

bumping him down from a B+ after the embarrassing showing at the bowl game. That's the game everyone will remember.

01-10-2014 11:46 AM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(01-10-2014 11:43 AM)DMT Wrote:  We were destroyed by Illinois, lost to USF and then embarrassed himself again against a pretty bad UNC team. I think Athlon smokes meth out of light bulbs. Quite frankly, this year was a disappointment and the staff can go screw. The recruiting has been "bleh" too. Eddie Gran's offense is down right painful to watch. I get no joy out of watch 160 lbs scat backs, trying to plow their way between the tackles, and then they kept have McClung doing kick returns. What the hell was that about? How many times did he have mental mistakes this year doing returns? Heads up their rears, bunch of old fogies.

Frankly, though this may be your opinion and you have the right to express your opinion, your constant b!tching and carping in your posting disgusts me and you are the worst poster since _LH. If all you want to do is constantly complain, why even join in the conversation.

01-10-2014 11:47 AM
DMT Offline
Special Teams

(01-10-2014 11:47 AM)ctipton Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 11:43 AM)DMT Wrote:  We were destroyed by Illinois, lost to USF and then embarrassed himself again against a pretty bad UNC team. I think Athlon smokes meth out of light bulbs. Quite frankly, this year was a disappointment and the staff can go screw. The recruiting has been "bleh" too. Eddie Gran's offense is down right painful to watch. I get no joy out of watch 160 lbs scat backs, trying to plow their way between the tackles, and then they kept have McClung doing kick returns. What the hell was that about? How many times did he have mental mistakes this year doing returns? Heads up their rears, bunch of old fogies.

Frankly, though this may be your opinion and you have the right to express your opinion, your constant b!tching and carping in your posting disgusts me and you are the worst poster since _LH. If all you want to do is constantly complain, why even join in the conversation.

So if I go through the game threads this season, they'll all be drenched in positivity?

01-10-2014 11:50 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I would go B. Tempting to go B-/C+, but fact is the team was also hurt by injuries, and obviously the Flick tragedy.

01-10-2014 12:08 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
(01-10-2014 12:08 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  I would go B. Tempting to go B-/C+, but fact is the team was also hurt by injuries, and obviously the Flick tragedy.

You said it as good as I could. The injuries were the worst I have ever seen and the Flick tragedy is something nobody should have to go through.

01-10-2014 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
(01-10-2014 11:47 AM)ctipton Wrote:  Frankly, though this may be your opinion and you have the right to express your opinion, your constant b!tching and carping in your posting disgusts me and you are the worst poster since _LH. If all you want to do is constantly complain, why even join in the conversation.

When I saw this, I thought you were talking about another particularly "misery loves company" poster, but I looked up and was surprised. This guy has been a bag of fun since he has been here though. 05-stirthepot

01-10-2014 12:22 PM
Advertisement

Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(01-10-2014 11:43 AM)DMT Wrote:  We were destroyed by Illinois, lost to USF and then embarrassed himself again against a pretty bad UNC team. I think Athlon smokes meth out of light bulbs. Quite frankly, this year was a disappointment and the staff can go screw. The recruiting has been "bleh" too. Eddie Gran's offense is down right painful to watch. I get no joy out of watch 160 lbs scat backs, trying to plow their way between the tackles, and then they kept having McClung do kick returns. What the hell was that about? How many times did he have mental mistakes this year doing returns? Heads up their rears, bunch of old fogies.

Watching Benton, Gladihar, and Moore run up the middle 40 times per game was really fun to watch too... But often times got the job done. I don't care if we score 3 points a game. I just care about wins, and nine was one win shy of a good season.

01-10-2014 12:43 PM
DMT Offline
Special Teams

(01-10-2014 12:43 PM)Banter Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 11:43 AM)DMT Wrote:  We were destroyed by Illinois, lost to USF and then embarrassed himself again against a pretty bad UNC team. I think Athlon smokes meth out of light bulbs. Quite frankly, this year was a disappointment and the staff can go screw. The recruiting has been "bleh" too. Eddie Gran's offense is down right painful to watch. I get no joy out of watch 160 lbs scat backs, trying to plow their way between the tackles, and then they kept having McClung do kick returns. What the hell was that about? How many times did he have mental mistakes this year doing returns? Heads up their rears, bunch of old fogies.

Watching Benton, Gladihar, and Moore run up the middle 40 times per game was really fun to watch too... But often times got the job done. I don't care if we score 3 points a game. I just care about wins, and nine was one win shy of a good season.

I care about winning, I just wonder if we didn't try to reinvent the offense at the start of the year and if the coaching staff had worked with what they had, rather than what they wanted; what would our record have been?

01-10-2014 12:46 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

I think UNC finished 7-1 down the stretch. They struggled early on but improved as the season progressed. I think they had a bad first half of the season.
Not having Longo and Bujnoch, I thought, hurt our chances.

01-10-2014 01:04 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(01-10-2014 11:50 AM)DMT Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 11:47 AM)ctipton Wrote:  

So if I go through the game threads this season, they'll all be drenched in positivity?

not that you've been disrespectful, and your input is completely welcomed, but you never said hello. i'm not saying new posters need to announce themselves to some grand welcoming committee (actually, can i chair that?), just don't act like you've been here

01-10-2014 01:07 PM
DMT Offline
Special Teams

(01-10-2014 01:07 PM)Lush Wrote:  not that you've been disrespectful, and your input is completely welcomed, but you never said hello. i'm not saying new posters need to announce themselves to some grand welcoming committee (actually, can i chair that?), just don't act like you've been here

You do realize you can still read the threads, don't you?

01-10-2014 01:09 PM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(01-10-2014 01:09 PM)DMT Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:07 PM)Lush Wrote:  not that you've been disrespectful, and your input is completely welcomed, but you never said hello. i'm not saying new posters need to announce themselves to some grand welcoming committee (actually, can i chair that?), just don't act like you've been here

You do realize you can still read the threads, don't you?

oh no doubt. i was going to mention that, but immersing oneself into this culture is another animal. we're a family here, what took you so long?

01-10-2014 01:12 PM
DMT Offline
Special Teams

(01-10-2014 01:12 PM)Lush Wrote:  oh no doubt. i was going to mention that, but immersing oneself into this culture is another animal. we're a family here, what took you so long?

I see, so apparently people take their message board square dancing personally 'round here. I'm not interested in trading barbs or being trolled.

01-10-2014 01:18 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-10-2014 01:18 PM)DMT Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 01:12 PM)Lush Wrote:  oh no doubt. i was going to mention that, but immersing oneself into this culture is another animal. we're a family here, what took you so long?

I see, so apparently people take their message board square dancing personally 'round here. I'm not interested in trading barbs or being trolled.

I must have missed square dancing day on here? Can someone fill me in? I hear lush tore it up on the dance floor!

01-10-2014 01:23 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(01-10-2014 01:18 PM)DMT Wrote:  

just curious as to why you been reading these boards and not posting for quite some time. hell, we even love liberals! you just came off in a vengeance so to speak. new blood is good blood i say. stick around

01-10-2014 01:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.