01-08-2014 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
RE: New President
Biography: Beverly J. Warren

Dr. Beverly J. Warren was appointed Provost of Virginia Commonwealth University on April 1, 2010. Previously, she served as interim dean and dean of VCU's School of Education for five years. She came to VCU in 2000, serving as Professor and Division Head of Health, Physical Education and Recreation. Previously, she served as professor and chair at Lander University, Greenwood, S.C., and as associate professor and director of graduate programs at Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C. She also served on the faculty at Auburn University; Smith College (Northampton, MA); and the University of Montevallo (Alabama). Dr. Warren received her B.S. degree from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and her M.S. degree from Southern Illinois University. She holds two doctorates, an Ed.D. in Administration of Higher Education from the University of Alabama and a Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology from Auburn University. She has numerous publications in the areas of the treatment of childhood obesity and the physiological parameters of youth fitness. For her research efforts, Dr. Warren received Lander University's Endowed Professorship for 1999-2000. Dr. Warren is currently working with a research team on understanding barriers in the treatment of obesity in adolescents. She has published numerous articles in the areas of childhood obesity and the impact of physical activity on metabolic health, and she has presented more than 75 regional/national/international presentations on a broad range of topics in exercise physiology. Currently, Dr. Warren's research interests focus on issues in urban education including access and success for urban youth, the preparation of teachers for urban environments, and coordination of education through P-20 initiatives. Dr. Warren is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine and the Research Consortium of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. She was elected to the Board of Trustees of the American College of Sports Medicine in 2004 and is a former President of the Southeast Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine. Dr. Warren serves as the Chair of the Advisory Board for the Virginia Literacy Institute and is a board member for the Partnership for People with Disabilities and the Metropolitan Educational Research Consortium. Dr. Warren also served as chair of the University's Equity and Diversity Committee and led the initial effort to develop a Five-Year Diversity Plan for Virginia Commonwealth University.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf...es_ne.html

I see she is big into fitness and exercise, hopefully she is also into the sports programs as well.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 10:43 AM by Polish Hammer.)
01-08-2014 10:38 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Well with how much Shaka Smart is being paid we know that she is willing to pay to keep coaches.
http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/coll...a400b.html
01-08-2014 10:52 AM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Hopefully she is good at raising $$$. That seems to be the most sought after talent for a university CEO today. I think that we who are interested in athletic programs, could find encouragement in the fact that she has been around Auburn University and University of Alabama. Maybe she will understand the visibility that winning can bring to a total university. Welcome Prez and we are waiting to see.
01-08-2014 10:54 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(01-08-2014 10:52 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  Well with how much Shaka Smart is being paid we know that she is willing to pay to keep coaches.
I'm not sure that was her call, because a Provost has much different duties and probably nothing to do with salaries for coaches of athletic teams.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 11:01 AM by Polish Hammer.)
01-08-2014 10:58 AM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Let's hope she saw how important and great of an investment basketball was at VCU and she likes that model here.
01-08-2014 10:59 AM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Hopefully, she will be disappointed in the MACC.
01-08-2014 11:02 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

(01-08-2014 10:58 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 10:52 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  Well with how much Shaka Smart is being paid we know that she is willing to pay to keep coaches.
I'm not sure that was her call, because a Provost has much different duties and probably nothing to do with salaries for coaches of athletic teams.

I seem to have missed the Provost nugget not sure how that one didn't register.
01-08-2014 11:04 AM
Flash Freak 3 Offline
Bench Warmer

Great! As far as basketball is concerned, VCU is a perfect model for what I would like KSU to become!
01-08-2014 11:21 AM
DavidCarducci Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Hiram & Kent St

I was just told that the athletic director at VCU reported directly to Dr. Warren, so she would have had a hand in approving the salaries and she would have played a role in lots of the decision making regarding athletics
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 03:16 PM by DavidCarducci.)
01-08-2014 02:55 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Not too many folks out there with a doctorate from Alabama and another from Auburn. Good reason to escape to Ohio. Might be dangerous to live in Alabama.
01-08-2014 03:07 PM
Advertisement

thanksjim Online
All American

I Root For: KSU
Looking good in the Blue and Gold!

[Image: 52cd74ce52ae0.image.jpg]
01-08-2014 04:33 PM
thanksjim Online
All American

Here is her entire opening press conference:

01-08-2014 04:36 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(01-08-2014 02:55 PM)DavidCarducci Wrote:  

I was just told that the athletic director at VCU reported directly to Dr. Warren, so she would have had a hand in approving the salaries and she would have played a role in lots of the decision making regarding athletics
I stand corrected, thanks Dave. Hopefully that means she's as pro athletics as it seems.
01-08-2014 04:57 PM
thanksjim Online
All American

(01-08-2014 04:57 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 02:55 PM)DavidCarducci Wrote:  

I stand corrected, thanks Dave. Hopefully that means she's as pro athletics as it seems.

Start listening around 32:10 minutes on the video that I posted above for her view on athletics.
01-08-2014 05:21 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
(01-08-2014 04:36 PM)thanksjim Wrote:  Here is her entire opening press conference:

This is the first thing I'm doing after I get back from the game in a couiple hours.

BTW, GO KENT!
01-08-2014 06:04 PM
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I listened to the sports part of the video and I noticed that the new President might not be on the same page as the AD. She seemed to be more interested in winning the Reese and Jacoby cup and not interested in emphasizing only football or any other sport for that matter. She kept talking about excellence in all areas. She needs to make sure it doesn't become mediocrity in all sports. I don't agree with putting all the money in football but I do think the best performing programs should get extra support. It could be interesting.

She already accomplished one difficult task. She got Lefton to show up at a game.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 10:05 PM by burden.)
01-08-2014 10:05 PM
KentKrazy Offline
Special Teams

Hopefully being from VCU will help for basketball.
01-08-2014 10:09 PM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
(01-08-2014 10:05 PM)burden Wrote:  I listened to the sports part of the video and I noticed that the new President might not be on the same page as the AD. She seemed to be more interested in winning the Reese and Jacoby cup and not interested in emphasizing only football or any other sport for that matter. She kept talking about excellence in all areas. She needs to make sure it doesn't become mediocrity in all sports. I don't agree with putting all the money in football but I do think the best performing programs should get extra support. It could be interesting.

She already accomplished one difficult task. She got Lefton to show up at a game.

Agree with your statement, not so much with her comment. When in fact schools do go to bowl games every year (BG, Toledo, Buffalo) or at least multiple years over a decade. No, a Final Four doesn't come often or ever, but getting a win in the NCAA-T 4 out of every 10 years and 2 wins here and there does bring notice. Winning the "cups" barely gets a blurb in our 3 closest newspapers.
One other thing I was talking about with a fan at the game: she has 25 years in higher-ed experience. I'm not sure of her age, but she might be out as fast as LL.
01-08-2014 10:50 PM
Flash Freak 3 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-08-2014 10:05 PM)burden Wrote:  I listened to the sports part of the video and I noticed that the new President might not be on the same page as the AD. She seemed to be more interested in winning the Reese and Jacoby cup and not interested in emphasizing only football or any other sport for that matter. She kept talking about excellence in all areas. She needs to make sure it doesn't become mediocrity in all sports. I don't agree with putting all the money in football but I do think the best performing programs should get extra support. It could be interesting.

Gang, interested in your thoughts here. Maybe I'm not understanding a key point on this one...What major good for the University does success in sports other than Football and Basketball do? Seems to me that so few (particularly students) care about the other sports (and the media coverage is pretty small) that their is no return on investment from them. Would it not be better for the University to be really strong in Football and Basketball even if it meant being and "also ran" in all of the other men's women's sports?
01-09-2014 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.