Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coastal? Really?
Bookmark and Share
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Coastal? Really?
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...embership/

Nothing stood out to me in this article until the last few paragraphs... and then Coastal Carolina was pushed to the forefront as a school that could receive an invite. Coastal Carolina... really?

Coastal Carolina University
Mascot: Chanticleers
Enrollment: 9,335
Current conference: Big South (FCS)
Current football stadium: Brooks Stadium (9,214 capacity)
Current basketball arena: HTC Center (3,600 capacity)

I understand that the Chanticleer's football team has made playoff appearances the past two years now, but like Liberty, they have yet to put anything substantial on the field proving them to be worthy of an invite. They have never defeated an FBS opponent and have major work to do on their facilities before even being considered.

That's just my two cents worth though.
01-06-2014 10:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
RE: Coastal? Really?
(01-06-2014 10:35 PM)rknj8993 Wrote:  http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...embership/

Nothing stood out to me in this article until the last few paragraphs... and then Coastal Carolina was pushed to the forefront as a school that could receive an invite. Coastal Carolina... really?

I understand that the Chanticleer's football team has made playoff appearances the past two years now, but like Liberty, they have yet to put anything substantial on the field proving them to be worthy of an invite. They have never defeated an FBS opponent and have major work to do on their facilities before even being considered.

Perhaps Benson knows that ASU and UL will be leaving shortly. We can only hope!
01-06-2014 10:42 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Other than their billionaire head coach they aren't ready and will not be for awhile.
01-06-2014 10:42 PM
southgeorgia Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(01-06-2014 10:35 PM)rknj8993 Wrote:  http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...embership/

other that expanding football seating, what other facilities need major work?

I like what coastal Carolina brings to the table when compared with other options for expansion. in the footprint and gives us presence in south Carolina. good baseball and golf. I think with a plan, they could be a great fit.
01-06-2014 10:54 PM
GSUhooligan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
I don't think they're ready, but would take them over Liberty and Missouri St. Especially if their billionaire HC can give them a capital boost.
01-06-2014 10:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(01-06-2014 10:59 PM)GSUhooligan Wrote:  I don't think they're ready, but would take them over Liberty and Missouri St. Especially if their billionaire HC can give them a capital boost.

What's a Chanticleer? A big fancy light with hangy-down things?
01-06-2014 11:32 PM
Advertisement

GSUhooligan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
(01-06-2014 11:32 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 10:59 PM)GSUhooligan Wrote:  I don't think they're ready, but would take them over Liberty and Missouri St. Especially if their billionaire HC can give them a capital boost.

A Beach Chicken with balls on its chin.

[Image: Cc_chanticleers.gif]
01-06-2014 11:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(01-06-2014 11:35 PM)GSUhooligan Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 11:32 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

A Beach Chicken with balls on its chin.

[Image: Cc_chanticleers.gif]

Lmao!!!! 04-cheers
01-07-2014 12:16 AM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

Coastal? Really?
Change the mascot and obviously the logo, improve the stadium using donor (head coach) money and manage to get further then the first round next year and I wouldn't mind seeing them in the SBC, would give us a more regional rival then geo south, would give me an excuse to go to the myrtle area and would actually be able to be an app rival unlike UNCC who probably is too scared to play us, could call it the battle of the mountains and the sea or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 12:25 AM by Check Yosef.)
01-07-2014 12:24 AM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

How did the HC make his money?
01-07-2014 12:25 AM
swampbear Offline
1st String

(01-07-2014 12:25 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  How did the HC make his money?

Selling fancy light fixtures......04-cheers
01-07-2014 06:20 AM
Advertisement

appst89 Offline
Herding Cats

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(01-07-2014 12:25 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  How did the HC make his money?

He was the founder/CEO of Ameritrade.
01-07-2014 07:10 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Commence the offseason it has
01-07-2014 07:35 AM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
(01-06-2014 10:42 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  

It is a move to get to 12. It would open the South Carolina market for the Sunbelt and they would be a natural rivalry with App. St. and Georgia Southern. They could be a really great add.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 09:36 AM by Bigtom12.)
01-07-2014 09:34 AM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
Actually, the article says:

Quote:The Sun Belt will not be likely to pry a school away from any of the other FBS conferences, so the most likely route for the Sun Belt may be to add another FCS program. Benson suggested finding a school situated within the current footprint of the conference may be ideal, suggesting it would be nice if Appalachian State could have a travel partner. That would seem to suggest another school in or nearby North Carolina would be the ideal addition for the Sun Belt. Charlotte and Old Dominion are each heading to Conference USA, so those options are off the table for the Sun Belt.

Two schools to keep an eye on might be Coastal Carolina and Liberty. Both have been improving their football programs in recent years and would be in a good location as a traveling partner for Appalachian State.

I'm reading this as the writer's speculation, based on Benson's notion of finding a travel partner for App and pulling from FCS, not anything actually said by Benson.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 09:41 AM by GaStPanthers.)
01-07-2014 09:39 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-06-2014 10:35 PM)rknj8993 Wrote:  I understand that the Chanticleer's football team has made playoff appearances the past two years now, but like Liberty, they have yet to put anything substantial on the field proving them to be worthy of an invite. They have never defeated an FBS opponent and have major work to do on their facilities before even being considered.

Who else would the SunBelt take? JMU doesn't want to be in the SunBelt.
01-07-2014 09:41 AM
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-07-2014 09:34 AM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 10:42 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  

It is a move to get to 12. It would open the South Carolina market for the Sunbelt and they would be a natural rivalry with App. St. and Georgia Southern. They could be a really great add.

If Benson's idea is to s**t in the punchbowl of ASU, UL, TxST and ULM, then Coastal Carolina is a BRILLIANT add. Otherwise, smh on this one.
01-07-2014 10:13 AM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

Coastal has two things going for it, location and baseball. Other than that they have a lot of improvements to make. Their football stadium is new but very small, and their basketball gym is a joke. They wouldn't be ready for a jump to FBS for several years, but they could be good in the long term. They would be able to get plenty of athletes thanks to their less than strict academic standards. Like all of the other programs being mentioned there are positives and negatives. In this case the negatives out weigh the positives at this point in time. IMO
01-07-2014 10:15 AM
knucklehead Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
They can't even fill the little stadium they already have for football. I don't think they are ready or willing yet. I thought we heard they wanted into CAA or SoCon?
01-07-2014 10:23 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Benson has been kissing the a**es of the eastern schools from day one. We do not need another East Coast school.

The only adds that make sense now are NMSU in all sports and tell UTA to get off their butts and add football.
01-07-2014 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.