Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Congrats to JT 2-0 as interim coach
Bookmark and Share
MadEagle Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Congrats to JT 2-0 as interim coach
against 2 teams that were probably a lot better record wise than the Arkansas State teams of the last two years! Kent State was 11-2 in that game and Ball State was 10-2 coming into this game. I hope he finds a Defensive Coordinator Job somewhere!
01-06-2014 12:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
RE: Congrats to JT 2-0 as interim coach
What a great win for JT for the second year in a row. ASU played with the kind of heart and determination to win that USM played with in the past. It was a great football game. Really hope JT lands somewhere. He could be my DC in a New York second.
01-06-2014 01:11 AM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte/Latech
stAte was way more talented than that 10-2 ball state team...Kent st had 2 beast Rb's ..

Good game wish we could keep a coach and not have a skeleton staff for bowl games
01-06-2014 01:56 AM
pirateadam Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
If USM likes him soo much just hire him yourself. If you did that you might not win another game for another 2 years. Seeing his face brought back alot of horrible horrible memories.
01-06-2014 02:09 AM
MadEagle Offline
All American

(01-06-2014 02:09 AM)pirateadam Wrote:  If USM likes him soo much just hire him yourself. If you did that you might not win another game for another 2 years. Seeing his face brought back alot of horrible horrible memories.

Kinda immature statement there man, "if usm likes him so much just hire him yourself" I mean I understand your hatred of JT but that's been nearly 10 years ago. Give the man his due he has done a great job in back to back seasons against tough odds in two bowl games were his teams were underdogs against teams that had their entire coaching staffs and not to mention were both really good football teams with 11 wins and 10 wins respectfully

Also have to remember he was our DC during some of the best days of Southern Miss Football so we do have some good memories of the man!
01-06-2014 02:18 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
He has two bowl wins and has been DC for two straight league titles. Things didn't work out at ECU but he has a good record of success as a DC.
01-06-2014 04:43 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

He's our LOLlis Johnson, we'll never get over it. 03-wink
01-06-2014 06:40 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

Chappy...you said it perfectly. ECU's feelings of JT will be the same that USM fans have for Eloss for MANY years to come. JT had a rough time as head coach but excels as the DC which to this point has been Eloss's same problem...sucks as a HC but does good as a DC. USM fans love for JT is probably the same that South Carolina and Auburn have of Eloss.
01-06-2014 08:57 AM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
Tells you how much I know, I thought the dude was a manager at McDonalds and was "3 out of 20" on white glove inspections, so they bumped him back down to drive through.
---------------------

In all seriousness though, congrats to JT and ASU.
01-06-2014 11:17 AM
SVHerd Online
All American

I Root For:
(01-06-2014 04:43 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  He has two bowl wins and has been DC for two straight league titles. Things didn't work out at ECU but he has a good record of success as a DC.

Sounds like someone I know. Mark Snyder.
01-06-2014 11:22 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Chompers....Ugh!
01-06-2014 12:06 PM
Advertisement

airbornepirate Offline
2nd String

Good for JT, but as someone that was a student at ECU during JT's tenure I will be forever haunted by him, those horrible years, and those hideous yellow uniforms. I will remember beating a 19th ranked TCU at home and (in hindsight be kind of ashamed) for storming the field...
01-06-2014 01:42 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(01-06-2014 01:42 PM)airbornepirate Wrote:  Good for JT, but as someone that was a student at ECU during JT's tenure I will be forever haunted by him, those horrible years, and those hideous yellow uniforms. I will remember beating a 19th ranked TCU at home and (in hindsight be kind of ashamed) for storming the field...

That was a COLD game! Was that the storming of the field where the "stormers" ran from one end of the field to the other trying to get past the staff security in an effort to take down the goal posts? If so, that was very funny to the fans, but sad for the stormers.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 01:52 PM by GrayBeard.)
01-06-2014 01:52 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I never really understood why Thompson didn't stay at USM longer. I heard people blame him for the letdown at the end of '96, and I do agree that he looked bad after the UH loss. Can't remember if JT was fired, or left voluntarily, but I think he basically did want to stay.
01-06-2014 02:01 PM
Raleighwood Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I am happy for JT. He didn't serve us well with his 3-20 record in two seasons. He did recruit well, including Chris Johnson. When Thompson was fired he was hired by Spurrier at USC as the Defensive Coordinator. Spurrier fired him after one season. Before I can make anymore judgements about him again, he would need to take the helm of another team. Our offense and defense were so incompetent that we looked like we were beginners in football. Things may have changed now that he has experience.

Correct me if I am wrong Pirates. Wasn't John Thompson hired over Jimbo Fisher when Logan was fired? He was an OC at LSU.
01-06-2014 03:35 PM
airbornepirate Offline
2nd String

(01-06-2014 01:52 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 01:42 PM)airbornepirate Wrote:  Good for JT, but as someone that was a student at ECU during JT's tenure I will be forever haunted by him, those horrible years, and those hideous yellow uniforms. I will remember beating a 19th ranked TCU at home and (in hindsight be kind of ashamed) for storming the field...

That was a COLD game! Was that the storming of the field where the "stormers" ran from one end of the field to the other trying to get past the staff security in an effort to take down the goal posts? If so, that was very funny to the fans, but sad for the stormers.

YES! it was. I will admit that I may or may not have been one of those. However, I will blame the fact that it was the one game I didn't have to sell programs for ROTC and I may or may not have had one or two too many adult beverages.
01-06-2014 03:46 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Honestly as well as the team has responded to Thompson I would have probably given him some consideration for the head job this time around, and that's coming from an ECU fan who witnessed the disaster here. Hard to deny those are some pretty decent bowl wins and the players on that team didn't seem to mail it in in tough situations under him. Different situation and years later he might could be successful with another go and learning experiences from what not to do he got here. He was a pretty solid recruiter.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 03:53 PM by StillJonesing.)
01-06-2014 03:50 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(01-06-2014 03:50 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Honestly as well as the team has responded to Thompson I would have probably given him some consideration for the head job this time around, and that's coming from an ECU fan who witnessed the disaster here. Hard to deny those are some pretty decent bowl wins and the players on that team didn't seem to mail it in in tough situations under him. Different situation and years later he might could be successful with another go and learning experiences from what not to do he got here. He was a pretty solid recruiter.

Likely what will happen is Doc'll get called up somewhere and where JT and Hamrick are buddies we'll end up with him. That's the way **** works around here. So hopefully 10 years of coaching experience since then will help.
01-06-2014 05:22 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-06-2014 03:50 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Honestly as well as the team has responded to Thompson I would have probably given him some consideration for the head job this time around, and that's coming from an ECU fan who witnessed the disaster here. Hard to deny those are some pretty decent bowl wins and the players on that team didn't seem to mail it in in tough situations under him. Different situation and years later he might could be successful with another go and learning experiences from what not to do he got here. He was a pretty solid recruiter.

JT is well liked in Jonesboro, and we appreciate what he did for us...but we're an offensive minded team and need an offensive minded coach. JT was loved by the players, but we've had so many coaches in the last few years that we've been told by ASU assistants that our Juniors and Seniors are really the leaders, and the coaches just call the plays.

When Malzahn left last year, there was a movement amongst ASU fans to just let our QB call his own plays for the bowl game...because he was the unquestioned team leader. We trust the players more than we trust the coaches right now to be honest.
01-06-2014 05:50 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-06-2014 12:30 AM)MadEagle Wrote:  against 2 teams that were probably a lot better record wise than the Arkansas State teams of the last two years! Kent State was 11-2 in that game and Ball State was 10-2 coming into this game. I hope he finds a Defensive Coordinator Job somewhere!

USM material02-13-banana

05-stirthepot

j/k, I wouldn't wish that kind of 2 years of football on anyone.
01-06-2014 06:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.