Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl Heirarchy
Bookmark and Share
fbgab Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
Bowl Heirarchy
Of the 5 MAC bowl tie ins which gets first choice, second etc?
01-03-2014 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Bowl Heirarchy
In past recent years the GoDaddy and the LCB have been taking turns getting the #1 MAC pick...with the LCB presumably gone next year I would think our #1 team is "up for grabs" unless there have already been firm commitments. Many of the new bowls have flexible arrangements so the "pecking order" will change each year.
01-03-2014 12:19 PM
fbgab Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
Is say that's likely as well. But that doesn't really answer my question. Anyone know?
01-03-2014 12:30 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
This season Poinsettia was first(USU), St Pete second(ECU), LCB third(Pitt), Bosie fourth(SDSU), and Godaddy fifth(stAte) based on opponents.
-----via Sagarin- USU 46, ECU 57, Pitt 60, SDSU 96, stAte 114.-----

Although obviously this had nothing to do with pecking order, or hierarchy of MAC teams.
01-03-2014 05:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-03-2014 05:52 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  This season Poinsettia was first(USU), St Pete second(ECU), LCB third(Pitt), Bosie fourth(SDSU), and Godaddy fifth(stAte) based on opponents.
-----via Sagarin- USU 46, ECU 57, Pitt 60, SDSU 96, stAte 114.-----

Although obviously this had nothing to do with pecking order, or hierarchy of MAC teams.

We are not ranked behind so many FCS schools. Stupid Saragin has no idea how to rank teams.
01-03-2014 05:59 PM
Advertisement

exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Where is the Kitton when you need him....he has been keeping track of all these new bowls and what years they include the MAC in their rotation. With the LCB gone, it's a very good question as to what bowl gets the #1 pick of the MAC bowl eligible teams in future years.
01-03-2014 06:04 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(01-03-2014 06:04 PM)exCincy Kid1 Wrote:  Where is the Kitton when you need him....he has been keeping track of all these new bowls and what years they include the MAC in their rotation. With the LCB gone, it's a very good question as to what bowl gets the #1 pick of the MAC bowl eligible teams in future years.

When the SBC announced our re-up with the Go Daddy, I believe it said we would be matching up with the #1 or #2 team from the MAC every season, but the deal for Montgomery made no such guarantee. I imagine you guys have a contract with Go Daddy where they always get one of the top picks. That seems like the way that bowl would work.
01-03-2014 06:22 PM
Advertisement

exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Chiefsfan wrote: When the SBC announced our re-up with the Go Daddy, I believe it said we would be matching up with the #1 or #2 team from the MAC every season, but the deal for Montgomery made no such guarantee. I imagine you guys have a contract with Go Daddy where they always get one of the top picks. That seems like the way that bowl would work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eCK: that is certainly how it worked in the past with the GoDaddy bowl, Chiefsfan.....I would expect you are correct in that any extension with the MAC would include keeping our #1 or #2.
01-03-2014 06:27 PM
exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
This doesn't answer the question posed but here are the future MAC bowl affiliations by year as posted by the league office in late November Since our existing bowls in Mobile and Boise are listed first and second it may lend credence to these are listed in order of the pecking order (but that is just speculation on my part but they certainly aren't in alphabetical order):

MAC Primary Bowl Partners 2014-19:
2014 Bowl Season:
GoDaddy Bowl (Mobile, Ala.; vs. Sun Belt)
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Boise, Ida.; vs. Mountain West)
Camellia Bowl (Montgomery, Ala.; vs. Sun Belt)
Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Fla.; vs. Conference USA)
Bahamas Bowl (Nassau, Bahamas; vs. American Athletic)
*Secondary in San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl

2015 Bowl Season:
Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Fla.; vs. American Athletic)
Bahamas Bowl (Nassau, Bahamas; vs. Conference USA)

2016 Bowl Season:
Bahamas Bowl (Nassau, Bahamas; vs. American Athletic)
Miami Beach Bowl (Miami, Fla.; vs. American Athletic)

2017 Bowl Season:
Bahamas Bowl (Nassau, Bahamas; vs. Sun Belt)
San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl (San Diego, Calif.;
vs. Mountain West)

2018 Bowl Season:
Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Fla.; vs. Conference USA)
Miami Beach Bowl (Miami, Fla.; vs. American Athletic)

2019 Bowl Season:
Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Fla.; vs. American Athletic)
San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 06:35 PM by exCincy Kid1.)
01-03-2014 06:34 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(01-03-2014 12:30 PM)fbgab Wrote:  Is say that's likely as well. But that doesn't really answer my question. Anyone know?
AFAIU, its not a strict hierarchy. With the MAC swinging deals to get schools in bowls the last two years, its not been a strict hierarchy over the last two years ... Pizza Eaters was obviously first this year, picking local school & conference champ, but seems lke GoDaddy made room for Poinsettia to get teamthey wanted. So moving away from a strkct hierarchy is mostly formalizing existing practice.
01-03-2014 06:34 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(01-03-2014 06:34 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 12:30 PM)fbgab Wrote:  Is say that's likely as well. But that doesn't really answer my question. Anyone know?
AFAIU, its not a strict hierarchy. With the MAC swinging deals to get schools in bowls the last two years, its not been a strict hierarchy over the last two years ... Pizza Eaters was obviously first this year, picking local school & conference champ, but seems lke GoDaddy made room for Poinsettia to get teamthey wanted. So moving away from a strkct hierarchy is mostly formalizing existing practice.

Go Daddy wanted NIU, but the MAC asked them to allow NIU to go to San Diego, and in the interest of conference relations, they did so.

Last year, they were prepared to release ASU had we gotten a Liberty Bowl invite.

Both situations directly could impact their attendance, but they know by working with the MAC and SBC now, they might get consideration in a few years when the opportunity to take a really good team opens up.
01-03-2014 06:40 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(01-03-2014 06:22 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  [quote='exCincy Kid1' pid='10242819' dateline='1388790269']When the SBC announced our re-up with the Go Daddy, I believe it said we would be matching up with the #1 or #2 team from the MAC every season, but the deal for Montgomery made no such guarantee. I imagine you guys have a contract with Go Daddy where they always get one of the top picks. That seems like the way that bowl would work.
Yes, its likely to be two tiers instead of a strict 1 to 5 hierarchy, just as the P5 are moving to mostly tiers.
01-03-2014 10:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.