Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cincinnati and Connecticut to ACC next week???
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Cincinnati and Connecticut to ACC next week???
Go B1G or Go Home ‏@B1GConn 16h
A rumor of #Cincy and #UConn to the ACC next week has suddenly been floated around in some circles.

Per this twitter account it is being floated around. A 16 team football conference, and 17 basketball. Lets see what Tuesday this happens.
01-02-2014 04:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
RE: Cincinnati and Connecticut to ACC next week???
How many followers does this guy have...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
01-02-2014 04:15 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I'd hate to be the assistant commissioner responsible for scheduling in any of the 14 team leagues. The flood of complaining about "bias" (league offices are always biased according to everyone) because of how the open dates have to fall and when the cross-over games have to be played has to be an annoyance.

That said, no one gives a tinker's damn about the grief of an assistant commissioner so that's not going to be a realignment factor.
01-02-2014 04:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-02-2014 04:21 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I'd hate to be the assistant commissioner responsible for scheduling in any of the 14 team leagues. The flood of complaining about "bias" (league offices are always biased according to everyone) because of how the open dates have to fall and when the cross-over games have to be played has to be an annoyance.

That said, no one gives a tinker's damn about the grief of an assistant commissioner so that's not going to be a realignment factor.

The SEC ADs are already complaining. Its created a lot more problems than they thought-across a lot of sports.
01-02-2014 04:23 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(01-02-2014 04:14 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  Go B1G or Go Home ‏@B1GConn 16h
A rumor of #Cincy and #UConn to the ACC next week has suddenly been floated around in some circles.

Per this twitter account it is being floated around. A 16 team football conference, and 17 basketball. Lets see what Tuesday this happens.
I think the Big 12 and B1G should take Cincy and UConn, respectively.
01-02-2014 04:51 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Take Cincy and UConn, give FSU and Clemson to the SEC. We'll even let you have WVU and UCF to boot.
01-02-2014 05:05 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(01-02-2014 04:23 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 04:21 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I'd hate to be the assistant commissioner responsible for scheduling in any of the 14 team leagues. The flood of complaining about "bias" (league offices are always biased according to everyone) because of how the open dates have to fall and when the cross-over games have to be played has to be an annoyance.

The SEC ADs are already complaining. Its created a lot more problems than they thought-across a lot of sports.

Then we will split things with you. The ACC will take Cincy, the SEC gets UConn.
01-02-2014 05:18 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Pre-Emptive Strike on the BIGs ?
01-02-2014 05:24 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(01-02-2014 05:24 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Pre-Emptive Strike on the BIGs ?

Cincy for sure is not on the B1G radar. Maybe the B12.

Still say the B12 screwed the pooch by not taking Cincy and Louisville when they took WVU.
01-02-2014 05:27 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
This is the kind of thing that worked so hard against the "left behind" WAC following the Denver Airport Meetings. The WAC persevered and was getting some programs into grand shape. But the killer was two or three schools, led by WAC member Fresno, that they wanted out of the WAC. It was hard for the rest of the league to improve...when the league's top schools were talking to the press that they wanted out of the WAC.

I regard the Nbe/AAC as an unstable conference. There are at least four teams--UConn, Cincy, UCF, and USF--that regard Nbe/AAC as a temporary parking place until a better conference situation is realized. And these four schools have the positives to do just that. This twitter rumor may well prove false. But we are going to hear a replay of it over and over and over and over.
01-02-2014 05:30 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(01-02-2014 04:15 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  How many followers does this guy have...

296. Seems to know as much as anyone else on this board. So, nothing. Just another fan hoping that someone in the P5 invites their school to the country club. Can't blame him, BTW. And I think we can all agree that this would be the best move possible for the ACC at the moment. It's not like they're going to steal a school from the SEC of B1G.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 05:35 PM by Monarchist13.)
01-02-2014 05:32 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-02-2014 05:30 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  This is the kind of thing that worked so hard against the "left behind" WAC following the Denver Airport Meetings. The WAC persevered and was getting some programs into grand shape. But the killer was two or three schools, led by WAC member Fresno, that they wanted out of the WAC. It was hard for the rest of the league to improve...when the league's top schools were talking to the press that they wanted out of the WAC.

I regard the Nbe/AAC as an unstable conference. There are at least four teams--UConn, Cincy, UCF, and USF--that regard Nbe/AAC as a temporary parking place until a better conference situation is realized. And these four schools have the positives to do just that. This twitter rumor may well prove false. But we are going to hear a replay of it over and over and over and over.

lol...every team regards the AAC as a temporary parking lot. By the way, CUSA is no better. UTSA, UTEP, Marshall, S Miss, Rice, all have aspirations to leave CUSA. There are MAC schools looking at other options and Im sure there MW and Sunbelt schools doing the same. The G5 in general is a place no schools wants to call home on a long term basis. As long as the P5 runs college football in such a way that championships are almost impossible to win from the G5, as long as the possibility of a new 4th super-FBS division exists, the entire G5 will continue to be an unstable place to be.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 05:46 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-02-2014 05:36 PM
Lloyd64 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisville
I will have to wait to see what information Miko has on this rumor before believing.03-thumbsup
01-02-2014 05:41 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(01-02-2014 05:30 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  This is the kind of thing that worked so hard against the "left behind" WAC following the Denver Airport Meetings. The WAC persevered and was getting some programs into grand shape. But the killer was two or three schools, led by WAC member Fresno, that they wanted out of the WAC. It was hard for the rest of the league to improve...when the league's top schools were talking to the press that they wanted out of the WAC.

The fascinating thing about the post-split WAC was that members consistently worked contrary to the advice of their commissioner.

When the 8 left he advocated going to 12. They added Nevada and went to 9. TCU left he again promoted going to 12 and they went to 10 adding Boise State and La.Tech. They lose Rice, SMU, and Tulsa falling to 7 again pushes for 12 this time wanting to add USU, NMSU, UNT, UL Lafayette, and Ark St. They vote to go to 10 adding USU, NMSU and whichever will accept of UNT and UL Lafayette (neither accept so they stick at 9). Then UTEP leaves and once again pushes 12 asking for UNT, UL Lafayette, Ark St, and MTSU, the membership votes to add one of UNT and UL Lafayette, both reject and they finally take Idaho.

To add to the misery at one point Fresno State was pushing to adopt minimum membership standards that were clearly designed to boot San Jose State.

I've never understood why they kept Benson as commissioner because they never took his advice on expansion.
01-02-2014 05:43 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(01-02-2014 05:41 PM)Lloyd64 Wrote:  I will have to wait to see what information Miko has on this rumor before believing.03-thumbsup

I think he is still at lunch.
01-02-2014 05:49 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-02-2014 05:43 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

The fascinating thing about the post-split WAC was that members consistently worked contrary to the advice of their commissioner.

When the 8 left he advocated going to 12. They added Nevada and went to 9. TCU left he again promoted going to 12 and they went to 10 adding Boise State and La.Tech. They lose Rice, SMU, and Tulsa falling to 7 again pushes for 12 this time wanting to add USU, NMSU, UNT, UL Lafayette, and Ark St. They vote to go to 10 adding USU, NMSU and whichever will accept of UNT and UL Lafayette (neither accept so they stick at 9). Then UTEP leaves and once again pushes 12 asking for UNT, UL Lafayette, Ark St, and MTSU, the membership votes to add one of UNT and UL Lafayette, both reject and they finally take Idaho.

To add to the misery at one point Fresno State was pushing to adopt minimum membership standards that were clearly designed to boot San Jose State.

I've never understood why they kept Benson as commissioner because they never took his advice on expansion.

Just curious as I don't know a great deal about the specifics---but if some of the invitations that were approved were being rejected, I have to wonder if voting to go to 12 would have made any difference since there may have not been 12 viable candidates that would have accepted.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 05:51 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-02-2014 05:51 PM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(01-02-2014 05:49 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 05:41 PM)Lloyd64 Wrote:  I will have to wait to see what information Miko has on this rumor before believing.03-thumbsup

I think he is still at lunch.

Nope. He's in Nepal getting the straight poop from the Dali Lama.
01-02-2014 05:51 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(01-02-2014 05:32 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 04:15 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  How many followers does this guy have...

296. Seems to know as much as anyone else on this board. So, nothing. Just another fan hoping that someone in the P5 invites their school to the country club. Can't blame him, BTW. And I think we can all agree that this would be the best move possible for the ACC at the moment. It's not like they're going to steal a school from the SEC of B1G.

I don't see it.

UConn football negates every good thing they bring to the table in hoops and market. Their ceiling is low, and we already have two low ceiling programs in the NE that we limit even more by elevating another program in the region with the same limited potential.
01-02-2014 05:54 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(01-02-2014 05:51 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 05:43 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Just curious as I don't know a great deal about the specifics---but if some of the invitations that were approved were being rejected, I have to wonder if voting to go to 12 would have made any difference since there may have not been 12 viable candidates that would have accepted.

None of the Big West schools were going to turn them down, the teams he was looking to add for the most part were eventually invited.

They didn't start getting rejection letters until they went after North Texas and Louisiana and they had agreed to come jointly if AState and MTSU were invited.

The two big botches were when he over-played his hand.

First was when he tried to get Tulane and Houston, and only Tulane was interested. Tulane was pushing to add the privates and threatened to accept if C-USA didn't add them (would have cost CUSA its auto bid and the units would have devolved to the schools earning them because the NCAA hadn't adopted the grace period). Without that leverage SMU, Rice, and Tulsa never would have been in C-USA and who knows if Tulane were serious.

The second came with the BYU deal to leave MWC and play all sports except football in the WAC with BYU playing X number of WAC opponents. He leaked it to try to leverage some MWC back in, and MWC responded by inviting Utah State (who stood firm) and then moved on to Nevada and Fresno who did not stand firm. If he had let it play out, maybe it could have worked, if nothing else would have made the WAC a bit more attractive.
01-02-2014 06:00 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-02-2014 04:23 PM)bullet Wrote:  

That will definitely be in the D4 discussions. Flexibility in apportioning divisions will be an issue. Most of the problems go away with the 4 x 4 configuration and 3 x 6 is workable too. Two divisions of 7 not so much. Two divsions of 8 and it's getting much harder.
01-02-2014 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.