Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC OOC thoughts without the non d1 results
Bookmark and Share
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
(This was rewritten for the UALR board, so if you see any us or them it was due to me being lazy and not edit it for posting here)

SBC OOC

High number of home games (against d1 teams)

WKU – 7
ULL – 4
USA – 4
Notes: Not a whole hell of a lot of d1 home games this year in the ooc

High number of road games

Tx st – 8
Uta – 7
UALR – 7
GSU – 7

Conference record against d1 schools in ooc

ULL 6-4
ASU – 6-4
WKU 7-5
GSU 5-6
USA 3-7
UALR 3-7
UTA 3-7
TROY 3-7
ULM 2-5
TX ST 2-9

Notes

As a league we were losers with only 3 teams having winning records against d1 schools.

ULL and WKU had more home games to get it done than the rest, so I guess ASU had the best OOC season in terms of total d1 wins vs home games.

Final Thoughts

The league is down and there is no excuse for not being in the conference race for 1st and in the sbc finals. Our schedule had a lot of body bag games and some 40-60 games. Odds are we were going to come out with the record we have.

Time to go beat the other like teams
01-01-2014 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
RE: SBC OOC thoughts without the non d1 results
I will five this year a mulligan with the large number of games to fill at the last minute, thanks to the late departures of MTSU and FAU. Without any firsthand knowledge, I've heard basketball scheduling is tougher than any other sport.
01-01-2014 12:49 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(01-01-2014 12:49 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  I will five this year a mulligan with the large number of games to fill at the last minute, thanks to the late departures of MTSU and FAU. Without any firsthand knowledge, I've heard basketball scheduling is tougher than any other sport.

You can call it as you see it but and this is without looking at past SBC schedules I will say the two schools leaving had little to no effect on the scheduling.............

basketball schedules are not like football, where the schedule is mostly made years in advance. There's a reason most schools don't release their basketball schedules till late Aug, or Sept.

Again and I'm sure you will check to see if I'm wrong I don't think % wise you will see much if any difference this year from the past 5 in scheduling home vs away and vs D2
01-01-2014 01:08 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(01-01-2014 10:22 AM)insideualr Wrote:  The league is down

I pretty much blame us for that.

(01-01-2014 10:22 AM)insideualr Wrote:  and there is no excuse for not being in the conference race for 1st and in the sbc finals.

OBVIOUSLY, you haven't seen Texas State play. Right now we have no business even thinking about being in the conference race.
01-01-2014 01:14 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
We were a triple OT game away from being 7-6 OOC, and seems like we gave another game or two away late. I expect South to compete for the conference, we have a new coach and the team is still coming together. Hopefully we can get it together in the next 24 hours and take it out on WKU.
01-01-2014 01:18 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
The D2 games are killer. A lot of teams playing road games for $$$ (and losing them) and then balancing them out with home wins that don't count for RPI.
01-01-2014 01:23 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Only three teams over .500 against D1 competition...wow.
01-01-2014 01:28 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Are there always this many D-II or lower games on SBC schedules??? I just don't remember it being this bad in years past.
01-01-2014 01:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(01-01-2014 01:33 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Are there always this many D-II or lower games on SBC schedules??? I just don't remember it being this bad in years past.

Especially considering the talk is that we were requiring schools to eliminate these games.

I continue to hope that we just dumped the requirement for this year because of scheduling issues caused by realignment.
01-01-2014 02:11 PM
USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

(01-01-2014 02:11 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:33 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Are there always this many D-II or lower games on SBC schedules??? I just don't remember it being this bad in years past.

Especially considering the talk is that we were requiring schools to eliminate these games.

I continue to hope that we just dumped the requirement for this year because of scheduling issues caused by realignment.

Saw an article from an App State paper that two non D1 games will be allowed next year. I'll try to find it.
01-01-2014 02:17 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

You can explain the high number of D2 games another way...

schools that played a lot of money games can't schedule a lot of home and homes because the next year it will limit the number of money games they can take. Just a theory but I will check it out later on but it would explain the higher number of D2 games and another one would be we played a 20 game conference schedule last year and that leaves two spots open...for some SBC schools that's...a extra money game or two or a D2 home game.
01-01-2014 02:19 PM
Advertisement

USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/bas...l?mode=jqm

Last paragraph. The wording of this article doesn't make it sound very hard and fast, does it?
01-01-2014 02:22 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(01-01-2014 02:22 PM)USACoN2012 Wrote:  http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/bas...l?mode=jqm

Last paragraph. The wording of this article doesn't make it sound very hard and fast, does it?

The By Laws are probably just guidelines...

Point is, most of us don't have the cash to bring SWAC and MEAC types in for guarantees, and since we spend so much on our football programs, the basketball programs are forced to take guarantees to offset travel.

Like CUSA, most of our programs must choose between football and basketball. Football always wins that argument in the Sun Belt.
01-01-2014 02:35 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-01-2014 02:22 PM)USACoN2012 Wrote:  http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/bas...l?mode=jqm

I think we have learned recently that SBC rules are only guidelines and not to be taken serious.
01-01-2014 02:35 PM
USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

I don't understand why there hasn't ever been some sort of scheduling alliance with another conference (similar to the BIG/ACC,SEC/Big East setups). I remember Wright Waters talking about it for years, but nothing ever came of it.

Do the MAC folks have fond memories of Karl Benson? Could there be some potential there?
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 02:41 PM by USACoN2012.)
01-01-2014 02:40 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-01-2014 02:40 PM)USACoN2012 Wrote:  I don't understand why there hasn't ever been some sort of scheduling alliance with another conference (similar to the BIG/ACC,SEC/Big East setups). I remember Wright Waters talking about it for years, but nothing ever came of it.

Do the MAC folks have fond memories of Karl Benson? Could there be some potential there?

I have suggested that for a while now.
01-01-2014 02:42 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

What I find interesting is that a program would need...

"With the added Sun Belt games, Capel said, “We’re really talking needing to get only four or five non-conference games outside of your league games, and the guarantee (nonconference road games) you need to play.”

With a 18 game schedule and only needing to play 4 or 5 OOC games that leaves 3 or 4 games as a body bag. So best case you finish 1 game over .500 if you win all of the "other 4 or 5"

Looks like App is willing to giving up 30 to 40% of their OCC schedule for a pay check
01-01-2014 02:55 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

It was a rough year for scheduling.

The conference us probably more open than years past.

The teams that did well mostly won at home, while the other league teams lined up a bunch if body bag games.
01-01-2014 04:27 PM
chiefsfan Offline

We had a lot of scares from SWAC schools this year as a league. That is very concerning.
01-01-2014 07:48 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

My rough math was the league was 40-62 in d1 games.

This is as weak as the conference has been in the ten years i have been following it.

Every fan base should be saying this is our year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
01-01-2014 08:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.