Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hate to start post game before it is over ,
ETx Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Hate to start post game before it is over ,
but I am out of here for awhile.
1. Miss State was good tonight. SEC good. We are not SEC talent wise.
2. Their QB was awesome-had a great night. Their team was without QB continuity most of the season. These guys almost beat Auburn.
3. Taylor Mc gives on the zone read. He is protecting himself, I understand that, but makes us more one dimensional. Taylor made those running plays pre concussion. Maybe next year we can have someone who can keep and or throw.
4. Good season for Owls. Terrible today. We are CUSA talent wise and showed it. Probally where we need to be.
5. Happy, no
6. Get better Owls
12-31-2013 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
RE: Hate to start post game before it is over ,
Largest blowout in liberty bowl history. Bummer.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2013 07:16 PM by WIowl.)
12-31-2013 07:15 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
Good summary.

Great season Owls. Thanks for the memories!
12-31-2013 07:16 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(12-31-2013 07:13 PM)ETx Owl Wrote:  4. Good season for Owls. Terrible today. We are CUSA talent wise and showed it. Probally where we need to be.

Ability-wise its clearly where we belong.. but need to be? It continues the path to where we become priced out of college football.
12-31-2013 07:18 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice's honor
(12-31-2013 07:13 PM)ETx Owl Wrote:  but I am out of here for awhile.
1. Miss State was good tonight. SEC good. We are not SEC talent wise.
2. Their QB was awesome-had a great night. Their team was without QB continuity most of the season. These guys almost beat Auburn.
3. Taylor Mc gives on the zone read. He is protecting himself, I understand that, but makes us more one dimensional. Taylor made those running plays pre concussion. Maybe next year we can have someone who can keep and or throw.
4. Good season for Owls. Terrible today. We are CUSA talent wise and showed it. Probally where we need to be.
5. Happy, no
6. Get better Owls

Pretty much agree. Until we get bigger/stronger on the D-line in particular, we can't compete on this level.
12-31-2013 07:19 PM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
It was a great season.
Ten wins.
May have to just let this game go and concentrate on next year at this point.
Eight months before our trip to South Bend.

Congratulations to MSU.
12-31-2013 07:19 PM
Advertisement

Wiessman Away
All American

(12-31-2013 07:19 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  It was a great season.
Ten wins.

Congratulations to MSU.

Eight months before we get thrashed again by another real team.
12-31-2013 07:23 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

(12-31-2013 07:23 PM)Wiessman Wrote:  
(12-31-2013 07:19 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  It was a great season.
Ten wins.

Congratulations to MSU.

Eight months before we get thrashed again by another real team.

Unfortunately, this exact thought crossed my mind in the third quarter. Great season, awful game. The fact that we got murdered by a team that has had very little success in the SEC historically (or this season) shows you just exactly how far we have left to go. Gut check time for our coaching staff and players. But again, a sour note to an otherwise incredibly successful and historical season.
12-31-2013 07:33 PM
Bay Area Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
This game only demonstrated how far we still need to go. Bailiff has most certainly NOT gotten Rice anywhere near the mountaintop.

While I was annoyed that the defense didn't have any special plan for WR Lewis, my biggest disappointment was how our offense was brutally exposed as ineffective and undynamic. MSU showed some nice offensive creativity; we showed none. The second half effort by the offense was especially tragic.

The only upside I can see from this game is that Bailiff should recognize that Edmondson is not OC material. He shouldn't even be on the staff. Bailiff should recognize this... right? Right??? I worry that Bailiff just doesn't learn, because he certainly can't adjust.
12-31-2013 07:37 PM
Owl-88 Offline
All American

Great job by the staff and players to make it to the Liberty Bowl. Bad day all around today. Congrats to the seniors. You'll be missed.
12-31-2013 07:38 PM
wrysal Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
1. DO NOT give the OC position to Edmondson.
2. Bailiff had a great year, but DO NOT give him another extension. If he gives Edmondson the OC position, fire him.
3. This was a physical mismatch, compounded by the fact Prescott played a perfect game, and we played poorly across the board.
4. This was a coaching mismatch - they scouted us and knew exactly where to attack, and we, as always, were incapable of making positive adjustments. This game proves you get what you pay for.
12-31-2013 07:38 PM
Advertisement

Bay Area Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-31-2013 07:38 PM)wrysal Wrote:  This game proves you get what you pay for.

While I understand the money flowing around the P5 eclipses what the non-P5 has to offer, it's not like we pay our coaches in peanuts and food stamps. Bailiff makes $650K, and our top assistants must make at least $150K. Even $150K should buy a coach who can strategize and adjust against an opponent.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2013 07:44 PM by Bay Area Owl.)
12-31-2013 07:44 PM
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(12-31-2013 07:44 PM)Bay Area Owl Wrote:  

While I understand the money flowing around the P5 eclipses what the non-P5 has, it's not like we pay our coaches in peanuts. Bailiff makes $650K, and our top assistants must make at least $150K. Even $150K should buy a coach who can strategize and adjust against an opponent.

To get out of CUSA, Rice needs to become a Top 25 team. Can Bailiff do it?
12-31-2013 07:45 PM
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
(12-31-2013 07:45 PM)WIowl Wrote:  

While I understand the money flowing around the P5 eclipses what the non-P5 has, it's not like we pay our coaches in peanuts. Bailiff makes $650K, and our top assistants must make at least $150K. Even $150K should buy a coach who can strategize and adjust against an opponent.

I take it this is a rhetorical question. The answer should be obvious.

I know that Stanford has some advantages over Rice. But if I recall correctly, Stanford won 1 game before Harbaugh. In three or so years, Stanford was a force to be reckoned with. He built a program that could with stand his departure. Bailiff has been here seven years, and he has done what. Built a program that gets massacred by a low mid level SEC team.
12-31-2013 07:54 PM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(12-31-2013 07:33 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  The fact that we got murdered by a team that has had very little success in the SEC historically (or this season) shows you just exactly how far we have left to go.

Yes, we have a long way to go -- we knew that going in -- but that was an outstanding performance by Mississippi State. Their record does not reflect how good they were tonight. We've played some good OOC opponents over the years, but it's been a long time since we ran into a buzzsaw like that. For an obvious example, they played much better tonight than A&M did on 8/31, with or without Manziel.
12-31-2013 07:56 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

To the naysayers: MissSt played very well and Rice played poorly. I think if they played 10 times, this would probably be the 9th worst performance for Rice. Rice played on the low end of its bell curve and MissSt played on the top part of its curve. It was painful and the game itself wasn't fun, but Rice was better than they looked today. Too bad they laid an egg when it did count though! Rice belonged on the same field, today just wasn't our day.

I do agree with the more general sentiments that Edmondson's job interview did not go well and the concerns that it might not matter. One of my long complaints with Bailiff has been his handling of assistants and coordinators (though admittedly most of those complaints involve Driesbach's long tenure). I hope he proves my concerns wrong this offseason.

Today stings, but we have talent returning and I hope there is still some buzz and swagger heading into 2014 on we turn the calendar.
12-31-2013 08:07 PM
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(12-31-2013 07:56 PM)Gravy Owl Wrote:  
(12-31-2013 07:33 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  The fact that we got murdered by a team that has had very little success in the SEC historically (or this season) shows you just exactly how far we have left to go.

Yes, we have a long way to go -- we knew that going in -- but that was an outstanding performance by Mississippi State. Their record does not reflect how good they were tonight. We've played some good OOC opponents over the years, but it's been a long time since we ran into a buzzsaw like that. For an obvious example, they played much better tonight than A&M did on 8/31, with or without Manziel.

+1. Their team speed just killed us tonight. Wish we had made better defensive adjustments but that would have only made the score respectable since their front 7 was killing our offense.

Sour end to an awesome season. Thanks to the coaches and players for making it special.
12-31-2013 08:14 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(12-31-2013 07:54 PM)Ranger Wrote:  
(12-31-2013 07:45 PM)WIowl Wrote:  

I take it this is a rhetorical question. The answer should be obvious.

I know that Stanford has some advantages over Rice. But if I recall correctly, Stanford won 1 game before Harbaugh. In three or so years, Stanford was a force to be reckoned with. He built a program that could with stand his departure. Bailiff has been here seven years, and he has done what. Built a program that gets massacred by a low mid level SEC team.

So, being in a P5 conference and twice the budget is only "some advantages"?

And yeah, it is a rhetorical question. Supporting the program with the facilities and budget it needs is the next step in hopefully making it a reality.
12-31-2013 08:17 PM
NolaOwl Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: RU, StL & NOL

New Orleans Bowl
The game represents a thorough beating - physically and mentally. We were mauled in the trenches and out ran in the skill positions. Really, it was not as close as the score would indicate as State shut itself down early. We appeared to give up.

Where do we go from here? DB has taken us to the top of the diminished CUSA but we clearly have much to do to get to the next level. Listening to the State players interviewed after the game brought home the built- in obstacles any coach would have in bringing those kids in to Rice. One telling stat - their o line outweighs our d line by an average of 40 pounds. Given those realities, maybe we should just celebrate our CUSA success and chalk up the loss to just stepping up too far out of our class.
12-31-2013 09:00 PM
Bay Area Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Keep in mind this MSU team only topped Bowling Green by a point, so they weren't an insurmountable juggernaut. They came to play with a well executed gameplan. We weren't willing to take their top receiver seriously. Our offense was badly exposed as uncreative. Simply put, they were ready for us; we just bumbled along with our basic schemes. Bailiff has yet to knock off a mid level P5 team.
12-31-2013 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.