Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Final Four (Memphis, Kansas, Kentucky, and Louisville)
Bookmark and Share
hollywoodtigerhound Offline
U.S. Constitution

I Root For: MEMPHIS MACHINE
Exclamation Final Four (Memphis, Kansas, Kentucky, and Louisville)
It would be too easy to root for your own team, so eh let's just take the road less traveled for kicks. Select a team you'd like to see take home the National Championship if your team were eliminated in the Semifinals. Memphis, Kansas, Kentucky, or Louisville.

Interesting variables at play here.
[Image: Scheming-Conan-late-night-with-conan-obr...30-187.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2013 03:16 PM by hollywoodtigerhound.)
12-30-2013 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rodney Carney Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Final Four (Memphis, Kansas, Kentucky, and Louisville)
(12-30-2013 03:15 PM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  It would be too easy to root for your own team, so eh let's just take the road less traveled for kicks. Select a team you'd like to see take home the National Championship if your team were eliminated in the Semifinals. Memphis, Kansas, Kentucky, or Louisville.

Interesting variables at play here.
[Image: Scheming-Conan-late-night-with-conan-obr...30-187.gif]

Louisville - since we will have already beaten them. Over the weekend, I was thinking about how we should have beat them last year. How many points were we up in the first half?
12-30-2013 03:24 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
That's easy. Louisville.
12-30-2013 03:33 PM
U.S. Constitution

My experiment turns out just as I thought. Who exactly is our most hated rivalry Louisville or Tennessee I forget? I'd guess that if Louisville were replaced by UT almost non of you would pick the Vols for the championship, you'd probably go with Tarik and Kansas for the win.

Louisville / Memphis rivalry has eroded, years apart and a gap in between...see what I mean

Tennessee is the most fierce rivalry Memphis has, and it is about to be ruined by the same element that caused the Memphis / Louisville rivalry to wither away, "THE SPACE IN BETWEEN"
12-30-2013 03:48 PM
Elktrodden Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
Nahh, I like this scenario better

Semis
We stomp on Kansas
Kentucky stomps on Louisville

Finals we stomp on Kentucky

No need for us to stomp on Louisville anymore after the drubbing we will give them during the season and conference tourney. We have to show mercy some time.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2013 03:52 PM by Elktrodden.)
12-30-2013 03:52 PM
U.S. Constitution

you're skating
12-30-2013 03:56 PM
Advertisement

MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
so you wait for 2 responses, and then deduce by experiment of a negligible sample size a completely biased, self-serving answer. interesting...

I wouldn't say the rivalry has eroded when you purposefully pick probably two of the top 3 hated teams we have and pair them again louisville as a choice also. Though in truth, it probably has some, mainly in the sense that our youngest fans weren't around much for the rivalry, but the older ones still remember it clearly.

But recent memory will almost always outweigh older significance in terms of which is worse.
12-30-2013 03:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
U.S. Constitution

I have enough intellect from the smart posters on this board to know where the current will flow lol. The Louisville thing is something of the past, I remember it growing up..but the luster isn't there anymore in my opinion.

Bring on the VOLs
12-30-2013 04:05 PM
downsouth Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger Football
(12-30-2013 04:05 PM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  I have enough intellect from the smart posters on this board to know where the current will flow lol. The Louisville thing is something of the past, I remember it growing up..but the luster isn't there anymore in my opinion.

Bring on the VOLs

True, but I don't really think UT gives two shats about playing us.

Who is our true rival now? I don't think we have one.

UAB and So Miss...gone.
UT...not enough history and the gap between is too wide in too many ways.
Louisville...maybe, but with them moving to the ACC I don't see how it will intensify to what it used to be.
12-30-2013 04:12 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I missed the "hate Louisville" period. I was raising 3 children. I was, however, raised to hate the Vols, and I have grown a great hatred for Kentucky for obvious reasons, and a great dislike of Kansas for the outcome of that game we played once.

I actually respect Louisville, and I have very little respect for the other three.
12-30-2013 04:13 PM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
I think you could possibly be interchanging the terms "rivalry" and "hated". For me persoanlly (which is all this could ever be for anyone) I'd consider Louisville our biggest rival, but hate Kentucky and Kansas more. Kentucky for obvious reasons, and Kansas simply because we lost (had no ill towards them beforehand).
12-30-2013 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

U.S. Constitution

(12-30-2013 04:12 PM)downsouth Wrote:  
(12-30-2013 04:05 PM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  I have enough intellect from the smart posters on this board to know where the current will flow lol. The Louisville thing is something of the past, I remember it growing up..but the luster isn't there anymore in my opinion.

Bring on the VOLs

UAB and So Miss...gone.
Louisville...maybe, but with them moving to the ACC I don't see how it will intensify to what it used to be.

UT wants to play us badly (basketball), am I missing something here. Josh P and Memphis are trying to pull away. Fact of the matter is that the Memphis vs Tennessee game in '08 was the highest rated game in NCAA history.
12-30-2013 04:18 PM
UofM_Tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
I assume you are talking basketball. The icon next to the thread title is a football.

You list Memphis, Kansas, Kentucky, and Louisville and ask us to pick which team we would like to see win if your team were eliminated in the semifinals. Since this is a Memphis board, I would assume that "our "team would be Memphis 99.99% of the time. That leaves only Kansas, Kentucky and Louisville to pick from. Given those choices, I would pick Louisville since Pitino was pushing hard for us to join the Big East.

How you jump from your initial proposition to stating that UT is our most hated rival, I don't know. I wouldn't call them a rival. They need to get a fewer more sweet sixteens, elite eights, and final fours under their belt before they "rival" us. I do hate them, but don't consider them rivals. Same can be said for the Black Bears.

I consider Louisville much more of a rival than UT, I hate UT more.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2013 04:21 PM by UofM_Tiger.)
12-30-2013 04:19 PM
U.S. Constitution

One should "hate" their rivalry in many ways otherwise it just becomes another game, these Cardinals have garnered too much adulation over the years for, rightfully so because... a) what they were able to accomplish in their athletic departments which is stellar... b) having a coach (Pitino) who backed Memphis to join the Big East.
12-30-2013 04:26 PM
downsouth Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger Football
(12-30-2013 04:18 PM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  

Bring on the VOLs

UAB and So Miss...gone.

UT wants to play us badly (basketball), am I missing something here. Josh P and Memphis are trying to pull away. Fact of the matter is that the Memphis vs Tennessee game in '08 was the highest rated game in NCAA history.

That's comical. Yes, UT athletic office might want to play Memphis in basketball, but the majority of their fans could care less about basketball and even more about playing Memphis.

Louisville fans care about playing and beating Kentucky. About 70% of my family are UK fans with the rest being Louisville fans and the Louisville fans could care less about Memphis (including the older ones). The UK fans are the same way other than to make fun of Pastner's NCAA and top 25 record.
12-30-2013 04:26 PM
U.S. Constitution

Truthfully those L.A. goofball Knoxville fans I know who now live here ehh well...

They are pissed off about losing to Memphis 3 times in a row and feel it is unfair and we are running scared. yes I did remind them of our better years where they were no where to be found.
12-30-2013 04:36 PM
Advertisement

Tygrys Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Depending how long the AAC stays in tact it could end up being Cincinnati. Of course, they already have the natural rivalry with Xavier.
12-30-2013 04:37 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
UT bball fans have a lot more to worry about currently than a waning rivalry with Memphis.
12-30-2013 04:49 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
(12-30-2013 04:18 PM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  

Bring on the VOLs

UAB and So Miss...gone.

We want football games and they don't....that simple.
12-30-2013 04:49 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
(12-30-2013 03:48 PM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  My experiment turns out just as I thought. Who exactly is our most hated rivalry Louisville or Tennessee I forget? I'd guess that if Louisville were replaced by UT almost non of you would pick the Vols for the championship, you'd probably go with Tarik and Kansas for the win.

Louisville / Memphis rivalry has eroded, years apart and a gap in between...see what I mean

Tennessee is the most fierce rivalry Memphis has, and it is about to be ruined by the same element that caused the Memphis / Louisville rivalry to wither away, "THE SPACE IN BETWEEN"

Bingo
12-30-2013 04:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.