Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What I want:
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
What I want:
I want a new division in football that *only* includes 64 schools. There will be a 14 week regular season and an eight team playoff. The eight teams chosen will be picket by picking the top team out of eight different eight team conferences. The 14 week regular season will occur by adding a week to the beginning of the season (before students arrive) and by adding a game at the end of the season (by playing games during what is now championship week). The timing of the eight team playoff will work like the new system, in that the last four games will be played at the same time as the current Football Final Four, and the time will be made for the Football Elite Eight by playing games during the now otherwise vacant Army-Navy game week. Aside from the eight team playoff, there will still be a meaningless bowl system, like there is now. As far as season mechanics go, I envision a system where every school avoids the awkwardness of playing an opening week without a student section by opening at a neutral location as a way to give players exciting memories, spread the school's name, appeal to recruits, or to play in an area where many of the students live (i.e. Notre Dame might open in Boston, Syracuse might open in NYC, Texas might open in Dallas, and LSU might open in New Orleans, and Texas A&M might open in Houston). Furthermore, each school will be allowed to schedule 1-2 teams that were "left behind" much like FBS teams can schedule FSU teams now. Other than that, the schedule would look like this: each school would have 3 games that they could schedule any way that they wanted (i.e. one perm rival, one lower level game, and one random opponent), each school would have 7 division games, and each school would have 4 assigned games from half of another division, so that every school would play every other school every 14 years. In order to keep things competitive and exciting, CFB would take a page out of the NFL playbook and equally distribute revenue (i.e. hoe the “Football Four” revenue is currently set to be distributed). Certain programs would still have advantages due to the perk of getting to play top tier teams every year based on division setups, but those advantages would manifest themselves into financial advantages through ticket sales, merchandising, and bowl payouts, plus there would be indirect financial advantages like more publicity, better time slots, and so on, but there would not be any advantages from direct TV payouts. Also, to avoid injuries/liability, players would only be allowed to play in 13 games/yr. However, the number of scholarships would be increased accordingly (by 20ish). Finally, teams would also be allowed to pay athletes a stipend of a couple thousand dollars a year ($3k?).

Since regional rivalries would be preserved, fan interest would be ignited (better ratings, and better attendance), so there would be more money in the pot for the vast majority of the chosen 64.

The divisions would be as follows:
NORTHEASTERN
BC, SU, PSU, Pitt, ND, UMD, WVU, and VPI

ATLANTIC
UVA, UNC, NCSU, Duke, WF, Clemson, USC (east), and GT

SOUTHEASTERN
UTk, UGA, UF, UA, AU, ‘Ole Miss, MSU, and LSU

MIDWESTERN
OSU, MSU, UM, UW, UMn, Purdue, IU, and UI

SOUTHERN
UK, KU, KSU, MIZZOU, FSU, Miami, Vanderbilt, and Louisville (I would trade ISU and Iowa for FSU and Miami, but that would throw off the competitive balance)

SOUTHWESTERN
TAMU, UTex, OU, OSU, Nebraska, Iowa, ISU, and Arkansas (I would trade ISU and Iowa for FSU and Miami, but that would throw off the competitive balance)

INLAND
ASU, ‘Zona, Colorado, Utah, BYU, Tex Tech, Baylor, and TCU

PACIFIC
USC (west), UCLA, Stanford, Cal, UW, WSU, Oregon, and OSU

For example, Texas Tech’s schedule might look like this:
UTex (in San Antonio), SMU (bought FCS-like game), @TAMU, Baylor, @TCU, ASU, @‘Zona, Colorado, @Utah, BYU, @Mich, Wisc, @Minn, and Purdue , then, if TT has a wining record, either a bowl or entrance to the eight team playoff.

NOTE: There are currently 64 power schools plus BYU and ND (66 total), so I had to drop 2. I chose NW and Rutgers. I would have picked WF over Rutgers, but that would cause an uproar from UNC, Duke, NCSU, and possibly schools like UVA and Clemson. If Rutgers is included at the expense of WF, put VPI in the Atlantic so they take WF’s spot and bring up Rutgers to take VPI’s spot.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 11:13 PM by nzmorange.)
12-28-2013 10:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: What I want:
I'll keep it at 64 but go with the Big 10 expands to 40 with 4 divisions of 10 and the sec expands to 24 with 4 divisions of 6. The pac 12, big 12, and ACC are disbanded. The big 10 and SEC have a 2 game playoff of division winners. The champion of the big 10 and SEC play in a rotated bowl for title.
12-28-2013 11:07 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Not interested. That is not college football. What you are describing is a minor league for the NFL. Colleges do too much of that now. I have no desire to watch a semi-pro team just because they happen to be wearing my schools logo instead of a city name or a corporate logo.
12-28-2013 11:25 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
/ notices OP cheers for Syracuse
// notices Syracuse in list of 64

this is my surprised face 04-jawdrop
12-29-2013 12:06 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2013 12:06 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  / notices OP cheers for Syracuse

You think that Syracuse is one of the weakest two power teams plus BYU and ND? Please, do tell by which objective measurement upon which you base your conclusion.
12-29-2013 12:11 AM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
Yeah, pretty self-servng thread.
12-29-2013 12:12 AM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-28-2013 11:25 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Not interested. That is not college football. What you are describing is a minor league for the NFL. Colleges do too much of that now. I have no desire to watch a semi-pro team just because they happen to be wearing my schools logo instead of a city name or a corporate logo.

That's true any time a stipend is involved. Unfortunately, I think that is an inevitability. Other than that, it's no more of a minor league than what we have right now.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 12:13 AM by nzmorange.)
12-29-2013 12:12 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2013 12:12 AM)Knightsweat Wrote:  Yeah, pretty self-servng thread.

Once again, how is it self serving. I eliminated two power teams. By what objective and meaningful measurement is Syracuse one of the bottom two teams?
12-29-2013 12:14 AM
SUisBigEast4ever Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: 'Cuse, Buffalo

Let's compare shall we?

Syracuse

- 705 wins all-time (15th best)
- 197 weeks in AP poll
- 1 Heisman winner
- 1 National Championship
- 7 NFL Hall of Famers

Northern Illinois

- 546 wins all-time
- 23 weeks in AP top 25
Nothing else of note

You're another one of those people who thinks whoever is currently better is the better football school. Heck Syracuse would beat Northern Illinois this year.

As far as this thread goes. I wish college football was left alone. I like watching non-AQ schools too. Conference realignment should've never happened in the first place. This was my least favorite college football season ever.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 12:21 AM by SUisBigEast4ever.)
12-29-2013 12:18 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2013 12:18 AM)SUisBigEast4ever Wrote:  

Let's compare shall we?

Syracuse

- 197 weeks in AP poll
- 1 Heisman winner
- 7 NFL Hall of Famers

Northern Illinois

- 546 wins all-time
- 23 weeks in AP top 25
Nothing else of note

You're another one of those people who thinks whoever is currently better is more valuable. Heck Syracuse would beat Northern Illinois this year.

As far as this thread goes. I wish college football was left alone. I like watching non-AQ schools too. Conference realignment should've never happened in the first place. This was my least favorite college football season ever.

That's more or less what my system would do. The Pac would go back to 8, the ACC would go back to close to the original ACC, the SEC would lose all but he SEC core schools, the B1G would lose all but the B1G core schools, and the northeast would pretty much play who they all played when we were all indy (albeit somewhat influenced by the BIG EAST). At the end of the day, I tried to make things regional again, which is how it all began before realignment started happening. I even leveled TV payouts like back in the day and removed CCG's (because that's much of what drives realignment).
12-29-2013 12:23 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
In a word:

Nope.
12-29-2013 12:46 AM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(12-29-2013 12:18 AM)SUisBigEast4ever Wrote:  

Let's compare shall we?

Syracuse

- 197 weeks in AP poll
- 1 Heisman winner
- 7 NFL Hall of Famers

Northern Illinois

- 546 wins all-time
- 23 weeks in AP top 25
Nothing else of note

You're another one of those people who thinks whoever is currently better is the better football school. Heck Syracuse would beat Northern Illinois this year.

If you go by history, teams like Princeton, and Yale should be considered better football schools than every other program in college football. History does matter to an extent, but it only matters as much as you take advantage of it. Do you think anyone out there thinks Miami is a strong football program now because of our history?
12-29-2013 01:18 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
I think it should be only 60 teams in a new NCAA Division Super 1
Six conferences of 10

PACIFIC 10
Southern California, UCLA, Stanford, California, Oregon, Washington, Oregon State, Washington State, Arizona State, Arizona

BIG 10
Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan State, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State

SOUTH CENTRAL 10
Texas, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Houston, Rice

MIDWEST/MOUNTAIN 10
Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas State, Kansas, Notre Dame, Missouri, Colorado, BYU, Utah

SOUTHEAST 10
LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi State, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

ATLANTIC 10
Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson, Maryland

Don't you think that looks great?!! Nice and clean. I realize that would leave out some teams you think are deserving, but that's the way it goes. As long as the teams I want in are included, that's fine. 05-stirthepot 03-lmfao

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 01:47 AM by Zombiewoof.)
12-29-2013 01:32 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2013 01:32 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  I think it should be only 60 teams in a new NCAA Division Super 1
Five conferences of 10

PACIFIC 10
Southern California, UCLA, Stanford, California, Oregon, Washington, Oregon State, Washington State, Arizona State, Arizona

BIG 10
Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan State, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State

SOUTH CENTRAL 10
Texas, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Houston, Rice

MIDWEST/MOUNTAIN 10
Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas State, Kansas, Notre Dame, Missouri, Colorado, BYU, Utah

SOUTHEAST 10
LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi State, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

ATLANTIC
Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson, Maryland

Don't you think that looks great?!! Nice and clean. I realize that would leave out some teams you think are deserving, but that's the way it goes. As long as the teams I want in are included, that's fine. 05-stirthepot 03-lmfao

04-cheers

It looks terrible. 5 conferences of ten teams ends up being 50 teams, not 60, meaning your "5 conference" 60 team setup is flawed from the get-go.

Anyway, that 6 conference setup is the worst 5 conference setup ever.

Also, if you're accusing me of cherry-picking who is in power conferences, based on my personal preferences, you're in left field. I can assure you that a couple entire conferences would be missing if that was the case. Or, conversely, if you're upset about your team not being in a power conference, take it up the commissioner of the nearest power conference. And, for the record, I actually like Northwestern, the team unquestionably left out if my system.

Though I have repeatedly been accused of cherry picking in Syracuse's favor, nobody, including you, has named a single objective and meaningful reason as to why Syracuse is one of the two weakest power conference teams. 64 isn't an arbitrary number. There are way more than 32 worthy teams and way less than 128. Geographical divisions are tighter the smaller they are, and 8 team divisions are the NCAA minimum. It's also the historical size of many of the major conferences. Unfortunately, with 8 team conferences, playoffs where every spot is filled by an AQ conf champ slot must involve a pool that is 16 times 2 raised to a multiple of 2. That's 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, and so on. Come up with 128 deserving schools and I'll change it accordingly.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 02:05 AM by nzmorange.)
12-29-2013 01:37 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(12-29-2013 01:37 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(12-29-2013 01:32 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  I think it should be only 60 teams in a new NCAA Division Super 1
Five conferences of 10

PACIFIC 10

BIG 10

SOUTH CENTRAL 10

MIDWEST/MOUNTAIN 10

SOUTHEAST 10

ATLANTIC

04-cheers

It looks terrible. 5 conferences of ten teams ends up being 50 teams, not 60, meaning your 60 team setup is flawed from the get-go.

That's 6 conferences of 10 teams. He essentially recreated the Big 8 plus two.
12-29-2013 01:39 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
What I want:
I'd go with 80 instead of 64:

(1) Pac 12 reverts to Pac 10
(2) Big 10 loses Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland
(3) Big 8 is resurrected, adds Louisville, Cincinnati
(4) ACC loses Pittsburgh, Louisville, Syracuse, Miami (FL), Virginia Tech, regains Maryland
(5) SEC loses South Carolina, Arkansas, Missouri, Texas A&M

(6) Big East reforms with an SEC castoff:
Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Miami (FL), Rutgers
Connecticut, Temple
Virginia Tech, Notre Dame
West Virginia, South Carolina

(7) Remainder of Big 12 becomes SWC
Texas, Texas A&M
Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
Texas Tech, Houston
Arkansas, Baylor
TCU, SMU

(8) The WAC of old (plus Boise State) is reborn
Utah, BYU
San Diego State, Hawaii
Air Force, Colorado State
New Mexico, UTEP
Wyoming, Boise State

The remaining 49 teams and are effectively shut out of the playoff structure. James Madison moves up to fill the final spot.

MWC - NMSU, Idaho, San Jose State, Fresno State, Nevada, UNLV, Utah State, UTSA, Texas State, North Texas

American - Tulsa, Memphis, Tulane, USF, UCF, East Carolina, Navy, Army, UMass, Buffalo

Sun Belt - App State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Troy, USA, Louisiana, ULM, Arkansas State, FAU, FIU

C-USA - ODU, Charlotte, Marshall, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, UAB, MTSU, WKU, James Madison, Ohio

MAC
Northern Illinois, Ball State, WMU, CMU, EMU, Toledo, BGSU, Kent, Akron, Miami (OH)
12-29-2013 01:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

(12-29-2013 01:39 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
Five conferences of 10

PACIFIC 10

BIG 10

SOUTH CENTRAL 10

MIDWEST/MOUNTAIN 10

SOUTHEAST 10

ATLANTIC

04-cheers

It looks terrible. 5 conferences of ten teams ends up being 50 teams, not 60, meaning your 60 team setup is flawed from the get-go.

Yeah, I changed it to make the balance come out cleaner. Originally, I was going to leave out even more teams just for fun.

The point is, all of these fantasy alignments are a bit absurd and self-serving. The conferences that are currently 12-14 teams aren't going to kick out schools to accommodate some master plan. If, as nzorange did, the school you absolutely want included is part of the plan, then all is well. In my scenario, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Pitt, Boston College and others were left out. For fans of those schools, the plan is as absurd as I intended it to be. That's how every fan of the schools currently left out of the Power 5 feel and there would be ten times the outrage if an upper division of haves is created, permanently relegating those left out to have-not status.
12-29-2013 01:58 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2013 01:39 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
Five conferences of 10

PACIFIC 10

BIG 10

SOUTH CENTRAL 10

MIDWEST/MOUNTAIN 10

SOUTHEAST 10

ATLANTIC

04-cheers

I get that. He was trying to elicit a response by leaving out every non-PSU northeast team in an effort to troll, so wrote a light-hearted snarky comment.
12-29-2013 02:10 AM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
(12-29-2013 12:11 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

You think that Syracuse is one of the weakest two power teams plus BYU and ND? Please, do tell by which objective measurement upon which you base your conclusion.

Why not have Cuse just be in the Big East with UConn and play basketball?
12-29-2013 02:12 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

(12-29-2013 01:37 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  It looks terrible. 5 conferences of ten teams ends up being 50 teams, not 60, meaning your "5 conference" 60 team setup is flawed from the get-go.

Anyway, that 6 conference setup is the worst 5 conference setup ever.

Also, if you're accusing me of cherry-picking who is in power conferences, based on my personal preferences, you're in left field. I can assure you that a couple entire conferences would be missing if that was the case. Or, conversely, if you're upset about your team not being in a power conference, take it up the commissioner of the nearest power conference. And, for the record, I actually like Northwestern, the team unquestionably left out if my system.

Though I have repeatedly been accused of cherry picking in Syracuse's favor, nobody, including you, has named a single objective and meaningful reason as to why Syracuse is one of the two weakest power conference teams. 64 isn't an arbitrary number. There are way more than 32 worthy teams and way less than 128. Geographical divisions are tighter the smaller they are, and 8 team divisions are the NCAA minimum, and historical size of many of the major conferences. Unfortunately, with 8 team conferences, playoffs where every spot is filled by an AQ conf champ slot must involve a pool that is 16 times 2 raised to a multiple of 2. That's 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, and so on. Come up with 128 deserving schools and I'll change it accordingly.

Thank God it's not up to either of us. 04-cheers

Your list is arbitrary. No conference is going to oust members to bow to a plan which is designed entirely for football. Schools will associate with the schools they want to. Do you think the Big 10 would agree to a plan eliminating even one member of their group from an elite division? I don't believe they would kick out any schools in order to go back to 10-12 either. I know the SEC wouldn't be interested in disassociating itself from South Carolina, Arkansas, Missouri or Texas A&M. So any plan someone comes up with to create a Super One division would IMHO have to incorporate the conferences as they are constituted. There could be additions, but not any subtractions.

You were stating what you wanted. You are entitled to do so. But I would hope I have the right to respond to it as well. My response is that I think keeping the schools you want while relegating current P5 schools to oblivion is .... I don't know. Pick an adjective. 04-rock

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 02:15 AM by Zombiewoof.)
12-29-2013 02:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.