Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WMD's Liberty Bowl Preview: Defense
War Machine Dawg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MS State
Gents, my Liberty Bowl Preview wraps up at FWTCT. Part II: The Defenses is available for your enjoyment. Let's talk D!

I'd also like to thank you guys for all the input you gave me last week. It was a big help fleshing this thing out. 04-cheers
12-27-2013 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rice-76-03-06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice!

DonatorsDonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
RE: WMD's Liberty Bowl Preview: Defense
Here's a direct link to WMD's defense preview.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/20...ew-defense
12-27-2013 07:31 PM
War Machine Dawg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MS State
D'oh! Thought I'd included the link in my initial post. 'Preciate it, 76!
12-27-2013 11:18 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
I thought you put together a fair and insightful overview. To me, the matchup of the game looks to be the MSU WRs against the Rice CBs, as it has the looks of a game where MSU might decide to challenge strength against strength. That said, the strategy that I would use if I were the MSU coach and was limited to about 15 minutes to put together a strategy would be to run, run, run, on the Rice defense until they forced you to pass, due mainly to the size advantage of the MSU line.

On the other side of the ball, my perception is that Rice's blocking schemes contribute a lot to their rushing success, so it will be interesting to see how the rushing matchup against MSU's front seven plays out, insofar as scheme rather than matchups may be more important. Rice's OC (departed to KSU after the CUSA championship game) was an OL and OL coach. All of that said, to me, run blocking is one of the hardest parts of football to understand and evaluate whilst watching a game (as opposed to watching with the benefit of rewind and slow motion).
12-28-2013 12:28 AM
rice-76-03-06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice!

DonatorsDonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(12-27-2013 11:18 PM)War Machine Dawg Wrote:  D'oh! Thought I'd included the link in my initial post. 'Preciate it, 76!
My pleasure. Let me add my thanks for your great analysis!
12-28-2013 09:40 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
@WMD - you said:

Quote:I find it interesting Rice had a better Scoring D but gave up more TDs.

I think you forgot Rice has played an extra game on the season. Given the total difference is only 35 (MSU) to 37 (Rice), it helps partially explain the difference (in that context, Rice has given up fewer TDs per game). The number of FGs given up can also skew it.

Thanks for both reviews.
12-29-2013 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.