Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A NonBCS Bowl is needed in Mid-Atlantic
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
A NonBCS Bowl is needed in Mid-Atlantic
As I watched ECU vs OHio at St. Pete Bowl, I thought what a geographical absurdity this bowl is for both teams. Since CUSA, MAC, and AAC are going to be playing each other in rotation in various bowls, why not move one of the Florida Bowls (St. Pete, Boca Raton, Miami Beach, & Bermuda) to the Mid-Atlantic, for example, in Charlotte? Charlotte would be a driveable bowl for many MAC, CUSA, and AAC teams.

The Military Bowl in DC was moved to Navy's campus.....so this relocated bowl game could be played on Charlotte's campus just like Military.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 10:35 AM by Tallgrass.)
12-27-2013 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: A NonBCS Bowl is needed in Mid-Atlantic
It might draw more fans than the 20,053 that were announced to be in attendance for the ECU-Ohio game.
12-27-2013 10:45 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Charlotte already has the Belk Bowl, I can't see them getting two. Baltimore or Philly could be options, though sucky weather would be a given like it is for the Pinstripe Bowl.
12-27-2013 11:55 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(12-27-2013 10:32 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  As I watched ECU vs OHio at St. Pete Bowl, I thought what a geographical absurdity this bowl is for both teams. Since CUSA, MAC, and AAC are going to be playing each other in rotation in various bowls, why not move one of the Florida Bowls (St. Pete, Boca Raton, Miami Beach, & Bermuda) to the Mid-Atlantic, for example, in Charlotte? Charlotte would be a driveable bowl for many MAC, CUSA, and AAC teams.

The Military Bowl in DC was moved to Navy's campus.....so this relocated bowl game could be played on Charlotte's campus just like Military.

No alcohol sales are allowed on campus. Can't imagine that'd go over well.

A second bowl in BoA stadium would have to happen or Charlotte is out of the question.
12-27-2013 12:02 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Indianapolis would be first city on my list to get a bowl game. After that I would look into Baltimore or Washington. Hopefully those Florida games have a Florida school in them.

Actually an Indianapolis game should be tied into the MAC champion versus a lower level Big Ten pick/American.
12-27-2013 12:27 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(12-27-2013 12:27 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Indianapolis would be first city on my list to get a bowl game. After that I would look into Baltimore or Washington. Hopefully those Florida games have a Florida school in them.

Actually an Indianapolis game should be tied into the MAC champion versus a lower level Big Ten pick/American.

I think the problem with Indianapolis as a bowl location is that nobody wants to play the MAC there. That is why the MAC lost the game in Detroit.

From the MAC perspective, the worst thing about the 2014-19 lineup is having a bowl with the SBC in both Montgomery and Mobile. I wouldn't be surprised if CUSA ended up with one of those games in 2020 and the MAC started up a new bowl in Texas with the AAC.

The MAC I don't think wants to move past 5 bowl tie-ins because it wants to retain flexibility for the marketplace and it doesn't make sense for a 6-6 MAC team drawing 12,500 because of mediocre performance to travel 2,000 miles for a bowl. There just isn't B1G level mega fanbases in the MAC for bowls to tap into. MAC schools having 10 win seasons will send fans though.
12-27-2013 01:15 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
What if we put together a list of "Great Stadiums for bowl games which don't have one"? Here are my nominees:

NFL Stadiums
Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN (62k)
FedEx Field, Landover, MD (85k) - former home of the Military Bowl

College Stadiums
Williams Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC (80k+)
Carter-Finley Stadium, Raleigh, NC (60k)
Dowdy–Ficklen Stadium, Greenville, NC (50k)
Carier Dome, Syracuse, NY (49k)
Foreman Field (ODU), Norfolk, VA (20k) - former home of the Oyster Bowl
12-27-2013 01:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(12-27-2013 01:52 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  What if we put together a list of "Great Stadiums for bowl games which don't have one"? Here are my nominees:

NFL Stadiums

College Stadiums

FYI, RFK Stadium was the old site of the Military Bowl, not FedEx Field.

I don't think using college stadiums as bowl sites will be the wave of the future, those have been used pretty much for MWC/WAC schools that need to have on-campus games every few years to keep attendance from sucking consistently.

As for your NFL list, I'd add a few stadiums. The Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Arrowhead in Kansas City, the new Minnesota Vikings stadium in a few years, and Metlife Stadium (I'm not sure why the Pinstripe Bowl is in Yankee Stadium instead).
12-27-2013 03:14 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
^ they should just add another at Metlife as a BCS bowl
12-27-2013 04:32 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-27-2013 03:14 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(12-27-2013 01:52 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  What if we put together a list of "Great Stadiums for bowl games which don't have one"? Here are my nominees:

NFL Stadiums

College Stadiums

FYI, RFK Stadium was the old site of the Military Bowl, not FedEx Field.

I don't think using college stadiums as bowl sites will be the wave of the future, those have been used pretty much for MWC/WAC schools that need to have on-campus games every few years to keep attendance from sucking consistently.

As for your NFL list, I'd add a few stadiums. The Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Arrowhead in Kansas City, the new Minnesota Vikings stadium in a few years, and Metlife Stadium (I'm not sure why the Pinstripe Bowl is in Yankee Stadium instead).

It was at the Nationals Baseball Park, an excellent facility and served by the subway. I don't understand why it was moved to Annapolis.
12-27-2013 06:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.