Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tigers' fans from Adamsville and/or McNairy County, RE: Zak Neary ...
Bookmark and Share
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Exclamation Tigers' fans from Adamsville and/or McNairy County, RE: Zak Neary ...
He must have some type of size issue working against him?

The Jackson Sun named him the West TN Player of the Year. He playss both ways and the Defensive MVP in the state title game despite Adamsville losing the game. He has two picks in the East/West state all-star game (one for a 73-yd TD). He gained over 1,800 yds on the ground and has done incredible things for three years.

The Sun listed a month ago that he visited Memphis for the Cincy weeknight game and that we have had an interest in the past. But ... that he's even struggling to receive a full offer from Harding, a Division II school?????

I know he probably does not fit the FBS template in size. But at some point, proven football ability and achievement (at the extreme level for him) should offset a lot.

Thanks!
12-27-2013 09:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerEdward Offline
Poker Stars All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Tigers' fans from Adamsville and/or McNairy County, RE: Zak Neary ...
(12-27-2013 09:58 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  He must have some type of size issue working against him?

The Jackson Sun named him the West TN Player of the Year. He playss both ways and the Defensive MVP in the state title game despite Adamsville losing the game. He has two picks in the East/West state all-star game (one for a 73-yd TD). He gained over 1,800 yds on the ground and has done incredible things for three years.

The Sun listed a month ago that he visited Memphis for the Cincy weeknight game and that we have had an interest in the past. But ... that he's even struggling to receive a full offer from Harding, a Division II school?????

I know he probably does not fit the FBS template in size. But at some point, proven football ability and achievement (at the extreme level for him) should offset a lot.

Thanks!

Didn't you pimp this kid on the Rivals board too? Is the kid a friend of yours?

http://memphis.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fi...62&style=2
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 10:33 AM by TigerEdward.)
12-27-2013 10:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemTGRS Offline
All American

(12-27-2013 10:31 AM)TigerEdward Wrote:  
(12-27-2013 09:58 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  He must have some type of size issue working against him?

Thanks!

No, I have never met Zak Neary and have no vested interest other than that I grew up in West TN and think it is nice to see West TN players become Tigers.

I think the "pimp the kid" is not really necessary either. To be pre-emptive, I know this is a message board, so natural human correspondence is different (and about being too sensitive, blah blah blah) ... but I remain disappointed at the utter rudeness that this board can have.
12-27-2013 11:54 AM
rshaw Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(12-27-2013 11:54 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  

Thanks!

No, I have never met Zak Neary and have no vested interest other than that I grew up in West TN and think it is nice to see West TN players become Tigers.

I think the "pimp the kid" is not really necessary either. To be pre-emptive, I know this is a message board, so natural human correspondence is different (and about being too sensitive, blah blah blah) ... but I remain disappointed at the utter rudeness that this board can have.

Good reply!!!01-ncaabbs
12-27-2013 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerEdward Offline
Poker Stars All American

Thanks!

Sensitive much, lol. It's cool. I noticed you started a thread on two different boards. Didn't mean to offend you. Hopefully the kid gets a ride at one of the smaller schools in the area unless he chooses to walk on at Memphis.
12-27-2013 01:07 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis

Thanks!

It IS frustrating when you have an honest, legitimate question and some people
come back with a smart-ss reply or try to hijack the thread completely.

I too would like to know why this young man is not receiving more interest from us and other programs. I know nothing about him, but it sounds like he is quite the player.
12-27-2013 01:07 PM
Advertisement

tigerblu Offline
1st String

I Root For:
what is his size?
12-27-2013 01:40 PM
MGR Offline
1st String

I saw him play in person when they played Trinity in the semifinals. I bet Blake Butler would say to sign this kid. He ran all over his team....and got stronger at the end of the game.

He looked like a super tough kid with decent size. If we have not offered him I think we're crazy.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 02:01 PM by MGR.)
12-27-2013 02:01 PM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

(12-27-2013 01:07 PM)danny1 Wrote:  It IS frustrating when you have an honest, legitimate question and some people
come back with a smart-ss reply or try to hijack the thread completely.

I too would like to know why this young man is not receiving more interest from us and other programs. I know nothing about him, but it sounds like he is quite the player.
Gracias, seƱor.
12-27-2013 02:41 PM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

(12-27-2013 02:01 PM)MGR Wrote:  I saw him play in person when they played Trinity in the semifinals. I bet Blake Butler would say to sign this kid. He ran all over his team....and got stronger at the end of the game.

He looked like a super tough kid with decent size. If we have not offered him I think we're crazy.

Thank you 1,000x. "super tough kid with decent size" ... this is the type of banter I was hoping to read when the thread was opened.

And the only reason opened is that he visited us on his own on a Wednesday Night (vs. Cincinnati) as per one of his many Player of the Week Awards. This was the only thing I have found that lists visits for him at FBS level and that certainly says that he has a strong interest in us. That goes a long way for me:
"The senior has garnered interest from various colleges through the South, taking a recruiting visit to Memphis a few weeks ago when the Tigers played Cincinnati on a Wednesday night."
http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/201311...ille-years

Here's starting text of the article announcing him as West TN Player of the Year
"He led the team in rushing with 1,861 yards and 23 touchdowns. He caught five passes for 102 yards. He completed three passes for 83 yards. He played in the secondary and recorded 53 tackles."

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/201312...Adamsville
12-27-2013 02:56 PM
smoothsouthpaw Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-27-2013 01:40 PM)tigerblu Wrote:  what is his size?

According to the interwebs, 6'2" 192 or 6'1" 185
12-27-2013 03:24 PM
Advertisement

memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
We should sign this Dude!
12-27-2013 05:55 PM
blutgr39 Offline
Special Teams

I have long wondered why more West Tn. kids are not signed in Div. 1. I have talked to local coaches here in Jackson and many fans... nobody seems to have the answer...way to many good players in high schools in our area.
12-27-2013 07:48 PM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

How quick is he? 40 time etc .......

[Image: the_world_is_whose.gif]
12-27-2013 08:09 PM
tigeriron Offline
All American

I Root For: ban negativity
(12-27-2013 01:40 PM)tigerblu Wrote:  what is his size?

6'1", 195

I hope this isn't considered a premium site:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/154585/hig...s/91674380
12-27-2013 08:37 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

This young man really looks impressive on his highlight video.

Just thinking - maybe with the commit from the West Memphis RB that we are "full" at that position. Even with Warford leaving, we will have a sophomore RB and two redshirt running backs already here in addition to the young man from West Memphis. Guess we could still sign him as a DB. I'm certainly not on the coaching staff and am no expert,but the kid looks like a legit talent to me. Passes my "eye test."
12-27-2013 08:55 PM
Advertisement

NDTiger Offline
All American

The video clips clearly show that he is a big fish in a small pond. He has a good football IQ, but the level of competition was very low. I believe he played in Div 2A. These are the types of players we should pursue as preferred walkons. If he excels his as a RS and/or RS Frosh, he is awarded a scholly.
12-27-2013 11:13 PM
downsouth Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger Football
(12-27-2013 07:48 PM)blutgr39 Wrote:  I have long wondered why more West Tn. kids are not signed in Div. 1. I have talked to local coaches here in Jackson and many fans... nobody seems to have the answer...way to many good players in high schools in our area.

Because West TN football sucks.

Yes, there's "good" players in our area, but overall West TN high school football as well as high school football across the state is pretty weak.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 12:17 AM by downsouth.)
12-28-2013 12:17 AM
tigergeorge55 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U OF M
(12-28-2013 12:17 AM)downsouth Wrote:  
(12-27-2013 07:48 PM)blutgr39 Wrote:  I have long wondered why more West Tn. kids are not signed in Div. 1. I have talked to local coaches here in Jackson and many fans... nobody seems to have the answer...way to many good players in high schools in our area.

Yes, there's "good" players in our area, but overall West TN high school football as well as high school football across the state is pretty weak.

That was a broad statement to be from down south :) I would take this serious. It's untrue.

01-wingedeagle
12-28-2013 12:54 AM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(12-28-2013 12:54 AM)tigergeorge55 Wrote:  
(12-28-2013 12:17 AM)downsouth Wrote:  

That was a broad statement to be from down south :) I would take this serious. It's untrue.

01-wingedeagle

Broad and mostly out of line statement in my mind.
12-28-2013 01:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.