Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Only one reason we won
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Only one reason we won
Ben Dillard played the best 13 minutes of his life- 18 points in 13 minutes- not too shabby.
12-20-2013 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Only one reason we won
(12-20-2013 09:56 PM)mjs Wrote:  Ben Dillard played the best 13 minutes of his life- 18 points in 13 minutes- not too shabby.

8-12 behind the ark helped as well (a lot of that was Dillard). We simply shoot a "good" percentage (5 for 12) we lose.
12-20-2013 09:57 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-20-2013 09:57 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-20-2013 09:56 PM)mjs Wrote:  Ben Dillard played the best 13 minutes of his life- 18 points in 13 minutes- not too shabby.

8-12 behind the ark helped as well (a lot of that was Dillard). We simply shoot a "good" percentage (5 for 12) we lose.

Good for Ben. Maybe he's starting to blossom as a Junior. I will be happy to eat crow if he continues to play like this. I think his shortcoming in the past was his hesitation to be a take charge, aggressive player. He's always handled the ball well and played solidly, and shot well when he would shoot, which wasn't often. If he can start playing at the pace he did tonight, he could really help us, and would be a solid Senior next year.04-cheers
12-21-2013 12:46 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2013 12:46 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  

Good for Ben. Maybe he's starting to blossom as a Junior. I will be happy to eat crow if he continues to play like this. I think his shortcoming in the past was his hesitation to be a take charge, aggressive player. He's always handled the ball well and played solidly, and shot well when he would shoot, which wasn't often. If he can start playing at the pace he did tonight, he could really help us, and would be a solid Senior next year.04-cheers

I have always liked Ben. But, one good game doesn't change my opinion of a player any more than one bad game. Now that he is healthy we'll see how he progresses the rest of this season.
12-21-2013 09:35 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2013 09:35 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-21-2013 12:46 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  

I have always liked Ben. But, one good game doesn't change my opinion of a player any more than one bad game. Now that he is healthy we'll see how he progresses the rest of this season.

As you know I've never been high on Ben as a player, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and admit I was wrong if he continues to play well. He doesn't have to have every night like yesterday, but if he can give us consistent scoring, the rest of his game is solid enough that he can be a strong cog in the machine.04-cheers
12-21-2013 10:12 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Ben is a seasoned veteran, and he is cool under pressure. If he can come off the bench and shoot his career average for the rest of the season, that would be huge for us. Plus he is shooting 82% from the FT line, and it always helps to have good FT shooters in close finishes.
12-21-2013 10:17 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2013 10:17 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Ben is a seasoned veteran, and he is cool under pressure. If he can come off the bench and shoot his career average for the rest of the season, that would be huge for us. Plus he is shooting 82% from the FT line, and it always helps to have good FT shooters in close finishes.

I never doubted his ability to shoot the ball well. My only complaint was that he didn't do it enough. If you're a good shooter, the coach has to find ways to help you get enough shots. We thought early on that we had more good shooters this year than at any time in the past. Seasons stats are starting to prove that to be true. And it's possible we are able to take more shots this year because with Will and James, the odds of getting an offensive rebound off of a miss are greater than in the past. I have no doubt we'll do well in the conference. Should at least finish in the top 3. And with some luck, could win it. I don't know how good ULM and some of the others you guys keep talking about, but we'll start to find out pretty soon.04-cheers
12-21-2013 10:25 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
with Will and James, the odds of getting an offensive rebound off of a miss are greater than in the past.

Will and James do both hit the offensive boards hard.

Should at least finish in the top 3. And with some luck, could win it.

It always takes luck. And we are not the only teams that seem to be coming on as the non-conference season winds down. Ought to be a dog fight.
12-21-2013 10:30 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans

I'd take 18 points in 40 minutes, and it wouldn't be shabby.
12-21-2013 10:57 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2013 10:30 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  with Will and James, the odds of getting an offensive rebound off of a miss are greater than in the past.

It always takes luck. And we are not the only teams that seem to be coming on as the non-conference season winds down. Ought to be a dog fight.

Like always, how we finish in the league will come down to the results of a few close games. We find a way to wins those games we could easily finish 12-6. We lose those games we could end up under .500. There's just a slight difference between winning and losing most conference games. Hopefully, having seniors like Will and Leroy will be the difference in some of those games.
12-21-2013 04:08 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2013 04:08 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-21-2013 10:30 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  with Will and James, the odds of getting an offensive rebound off of a miss are greater than in the past.

Like always, how we finish in the league will come down to the results of a few close games. We find a way to wins those games we could easily finish 12-6. We lose those games we could end up under .500. There's just a slight difference between winning and losing most conference games. Hopefully, having seniors like Will and Leroy will be the difference in some of those games.

You'll need their leadership, but D'Vonte is the quarterback who runs the team. Luckily he's an experienced player and has played enough minutes now to be one of the leaders. He needs to get the ball to the shooters on time for them to be effective. He seems to see the floor better than most point guards I can recall and make a quick pass before the defense has a chance to react. He will be instrumental in our success this year.
J.T. might come back, but it will be difficult to dislodge D'Vonte from that starting job, IMO. Remember Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig (not Babe Ruth as I originally erroneously reported).04-cheers
12-21-2013 04:15 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2013 04:15 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  

You'll need their leadership, but D'Vonte is the quarterback who runs the team. Luckily he's an experienced player and has played enough minutes now to be one of the leaders. He needs to get the ball to the shooters on time for them to be effective. He seems to see the floor better than most point guards I can recall and make a quick pass before the defense has a chance to react. He will be instrumental in our success this year.
J.T. might come back, but it will be difficult to dislodge D'Vonte from that starting job, IMO. Remember Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig (not Babe Ruth as I originally erroneously reported).04-cheers

I thought JT was the more solid, steady player of the two. But, I have been very impressed with Devonte. He is as fast/quick a guard, as we have ever had, sees the floor well, and appears to have a pretty good shot when he needs to shoot. Like you pointed out before, he knows how to win. Of course, having Marshall Henderson as your back court mate didn't hurt.
12-21-2013 04:28 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2013 04:28 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-21-2013 04:15 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  

I thought JT was the more solid, steady player of the two. But, I have been very impressed with Devonte. He is as fast/quick a guard, as we have ever had, sees the floor well, and appears to have a pretty good shot when he needs to shoot. Like you pointed out before, he knows how to win. Of course, having Marshall Henderson as your back court mate didn't hurt.

He won big both before and after Henderson. State Championship is high school. He played nearly every minute of every game. Same at Juco. He's a winning quarterback.04-cheers
12-21-2013 04:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.