That is all.
12-19-2013 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
RE: I think Swofford is a Clown.
He says, "We are an all-or-nothing conference." One year later his conference is on the verge of being left behind or falling apart and he adds a school that is historically adamant about not being an all-in partner.

He says, "We are not discussing division changes." One year later it's being told to media that serious discussions will be had in regards to changing the alignment.

His conference goes to 9 games. Then, before ever playing a 9-game season, goes back to 8 games after already having forced schools to cancel some of their OOC contracts, leaving them on the hook for a quick and crappy replacement. Then a year later 9 games is apparently back on the table.
12-19-2013 04:30 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
He's had 5+ years to get an ACC Network set up and we are still waiting for movement on that front.
12-19-2013 04:31 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
Been extremely critical of Swofford in the past, but I don't think he's a clown. I think he's actually been making the right moves or best available moves for the last two years or so.

Before that, I've got a lot of problems with Swofford and his moves. I really don't think he had his eyes on the right things and recognized where the landscape was going, almost to the point of negligence. But to be fair, I think that I can paint all the leadership of the various schools, including the football schools, with the same brush. They were all blindsided by the new economic landscape and the urgency of revenue, and there was no excuse for that. Some of us have been seeing where it's going for years. If you look at the documents that were released from UNC after the Maryland departure announcement, you'll see that very important people in that university were totally ignorant of the financial realities.

Meanwhile, there were message board jockeys like myself lamenting this stuff for some time, and having a MUCH better grasp on the money issues. Even Haggard at FSU, the patron saint of all those of us Seminoles that wanted the ACC's feet held to the fire, didn't get the facts right.

It's simply inexcusable ignorance across the board, and I'm really not kidding to say that I think I could name 10 message board/twitter posters including myself that could have walked into an ACC meeting a couple years ago and told them things they weren't getting.

I think the realignment threats (including Haggard's statement), the Champions Bowl announcement, and Maryland's departure finally opened a lot of eyes across the whole conference. I think the moves since then have been dramatically smarter, but we're still carrying the legacy of past moves (undervalued TV deal, unnecessary Raycom relationship, struggling conference championship game, troubling divisions, debatable expansion moves/non-moves) and that's going to be a hell of a lot to overcome.

I would classify my stance on Swofford and the ACC's leadership as "encouraged but very cautious" right now, versus the "sharpen the pitchforks" position that I held previously. And I don't think any of the examples you gave above are signs of bad leadership, of which there has been plenty over the years.
12-19-2013 04:57 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(12-19-2013 04:30 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  He says, "We are an all-or-nothing conference." One year later his conference is on the verge of being left behind or falling apart and he adds a school that is historically adamant about not being an all-in partner.

He says, "We are not discussing division changes." One year later it's being told to media that serious discussions will be had in regards to changing the alignment.

His conference goes to 9 games. Then, before ever playing a 9-game season, goes back to 8 games after already having forced schools to cancel some of their OOC contracts, leaving them on the hook for a quick and crappy replacement. Then a year later 9 games is apparently back on the table.

I haven't been a supporter of Swofford either. But to be fair, he can only make moves that the presidents and AD's allow him to make. So if you want to hang him, you are going to have to hang every single president and AD.
12-19-2013 06:10 PM
Advertisement

WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
Trolling thread.
12-19-2013 06:18 PM
Fburghokie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Va tech
well, I guess you and the rest disagrees. What can I say with a nick named for a neo-nazi who promoted hate with the Cincinnati reds and was banished by major league baseball. I wonder if you have ties to West Va.

SImply, Swofford holds his cards very close, and the ACC is a very secretive conference. Nothing is released officially unless its locked or stone. There is alot going on, joe six pack fan knows nothing about and shouldn't. the ACC is a country club, executive managed conference, and runs like a corporation. its not like the NASCAR =like SEC or BIG 12.

GO back to the hills of West Va

(12-19-2013 06:10 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(12-19-2013 04:30 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  He says, "We are an all-or-nothing conference." One year later his conference is on the verge of being left behind or falling apart and he adds a school that is historically adamant about not being an all-in partner.

I haven't been a supporter of Swofford either. But to be fair, he can only make moves that the presidents and AD's allow him to make. So if you want to hang him, you are going to have to hang every single president and AD.
12-19-2013 06:20 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Again, I can only look at this from a Big East perspective and former Big East fan.

I often wondered how the ACC and it's commissioner would react if their relevancy in the college landscape was ever in peril. I've longed view the ACC teams, their commissioner and their fans as the "whine and cheese" of college athletics - great when they are the front runners, but collapse when they are overlapped.

I think I got a glimpse this past year and a half that at least when it comes to Swofford, he may have more fortitude then I was giving him credit for. And while it's too soon to judge, I actually thought Swofford did a great job to keep the ACC relevant under very trying circumstances.

Cheers,
Neil
12-19-2013 07:16 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(12-19-2013 07:16 PM)omniorange Wrote:  

Again, I can only look at this from a Big East perspective and former Big East fan.

I often wondered how the ACC and it's commissioner would react if their relevancy in the college landscape was ever in peril. I've longed view the ACC teams, their commissioner and their fans as the "whine and cheese" of college athletics - great when they are the front runners, but collapse when they are overlapped.

I think I got a glimpse this past year and a half that at least when it comes to Swofford, he may have more fortitude then I was giving him credit for. And while it's too soon to judge, I actually thought Swofford did a great job to keep the ACC relevant under very trying circumstances.

Cheers,
Neil

In regards to Swofford...he is light years ahead from a BIG EAST POV from Mike Tranghese or John Marrinano...geez...
12-19-2013 07:31 PM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(12-19-2013 04:57 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  Been extremely critical of Swofford in the past, but I don't think he's a clown. I think he's actually been making the right moves or best available moves for the last two years or so.

Before that, I've got a lot of problems with Swofford and his moves. I really don't think he had his eyes on the right things and recognized where the landscape was going, almost to the point of negligence. But to be fair, I think that I can paint all the leadership of the various schools, including the football schools, with the same brush. They were all blindsided by the new economic landscape and the urgency of revenue, and there was no excuse for that. Some of us have been seeing where it's going for years. If you look at the documents that were released from UNC after the Maryland departure announcement, you'll see that very important people in that university were totally ignorant of the financial realities.

Meanwhile, there were message board jockeys like myself lamenting this stuff for some time, and having a MUCH better grasp on the money issues. Even Haggard at FSU, the patron saint of all those of us Seminoles that wanted the ACC's feet held to the fire, didn't get the facts right.

It's simply inexcusable ignorance across the board, and I'm really not kidding to say that I think I could name 10 message board/twitter posters including myself that could have walked into an ACC meeting a couple years ago and told them things they weren't getting.

I think the realignment threats (including Haggard's statement), the Champions Bowl announcement, and Maryland's departure finally opened a lot of eyes across the whole conference. I think the moves since then have been dramatically smarter, but we're still carrying the legacy of past moves (undervalued TV deal, unnecessary Raycom relationship, struggling conference championship game, troubling divisions, debatable expansion moves/non-moves) and that's going to be a hell of a lot to overcome.

I would classify my stance on Swofford and the ACC's leadership as "encouraged but very cautious" right now, versus the "sharpen the pitchforks" position that I held previously. And I don't think any of the examples you gave above are signs of bad leadership, of which there has been plenty over the years.

The message boards are a double edged sword. The truths can cut you as bad as the lies. Can't ignore them any longer. Just have to keep an eye out for "the Dudes" who try to create realities that don't exist and have many different names on the various boards.
12-19-2013 07:32 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-19-2013 07:31 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

In regards to Swofford...he is light years ahead from a BIG EAST POV from Mike Tranghese or John Marrinano...geez...

Swofford had a straight flush hand compared to the two pair of aces and eights Tranghese had, so we have no idea how Tranghese would have been had their situations been reversed.

Cheers,
Neil
12-19-2013 07:52 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-19-2013 06:20 PM)Fburghokie Wrote:  well, I guess you and the rest disagrees. What can I say with a nick named for a neo-nazi who promoted hate with the Cincinnati reds and was banished by major league baseball. I wonder if you have ties to West Va.

SImply, Swofford holds his cards very close, and the ACC is a very secretive conference. Nothing is released officially unless its locked or stone. There is alot going on, joe six pack fan knows nothing about and shouldn't. the ACC is a country club, executive managed conference, and runs like a corporation. its not like the NASCAR =like SEC or BIG 12.

GO back to the hills of West Va

1. I think Swafford caught on late but managed to keep the ACC from capsizing in a storm of misinformation and mistrust.

2. Keeping within the maritime metaphor Notre Dame has been an anchor that helped heel your conference back to equilibrium against the wave created by Maryland's departure.

3. NASCAR began with the ridge runners hauling shine in hills of North Carolina. Those were the first souped up stock cars used. It is certainly a national sport now, but hardly something I would equate with the corporate mentality of the SEC which is headed by a UVa law grad and if compared to the corporate structure of the ACC in terms of quarterly statements would be paying its shareholders dividends.

4. It is such comparisons of the ACC to a country club that actually perpetuate an image unflattering to the diversity and reality of your schools and their collective missions. It is an image you should try to play down at every opportunity.

5. That said I'm glad the ACC is stabilizing. A healthy ACC is in the best interest of the SEC as it is the best buffer against the Big 10's need to expand to preserve its revenue base.
12-20-2013 12:32 AM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Swofford is the best in the country at what he does.

Delaney is presently riding his cash cow network into the ground.

Slive runs a conference where everything revolves around football. An idiot could drum up support for a conference where fans of the same school shoot each other for not being "upset enough after a loss."

If bilking cable tv subscribers out of cash every month or presiding over a conference where fans have lost all touch with reality some how makes you a great leader, yep I would rather have Swofford.
CJ
12-20-2013 04:18 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-20-2013 04:18 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Swofford is the best in the country at what he does.

Delaney is presently riding his cash cow network into the ground.

Slive runs a conference where everything revolves around football. An idiot could drum up support for a conference where fans of the same school shoot each other for not being "upset enough after a loss."

If bilking cable tv subscribers out of cash every month or presiding over a conference where fans have lost all touch with reality some how makes you a great leader, yep I would rather have Swofford.
CJ

That one is still mind boggling....just tragic...
12-20-2013 08:33 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

If Delany told Maryland the truth, then there is nothing Swofford could have done to prevent them from leaving. Even Illinois doesn't know if what Delany told them is true or not...

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illin...tball.html

Quote:If the information new member Maryland received from Jim Delany is accurate, each Big Ten school will receive an extra $7 million in broadcast revenue beginning next year (up to $32 million), and that $7 million alone is nearly enough to crack the nut on annual State Farm Center renovation payments for the next 30 years.

By 2017, when new contracts are signed, look for that $32 million to be $43 million ... and the overall UI budget to crack $100 million. If my numbers are off by a million or two, so what?

So quit worrying about finances. It’s enough to worry about the football team.

Again, what Delany has promised the current full earning members of the Big Ten, with the addition of Maryland and Rutgers, is an extra $7 million each, starting next year.
12-20-2013 10:36 AM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

Cheers,
Neil

That isn't saying much.
12-20-2013 10:36 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-20-2013 10:36 AM)WNCOrange Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

That isn't saying much.

Just pointing out for those who feel Swofford is a Clown...it could have been worse....05-nono
12-20-2013 10:57 AM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(12-20-2013 10:36 AM)Dasville Wrote:  If Delany told Maryland the truth, then there is nothing Swofford could have done to prevent them from leaving. Even Illinois doesn't know if what Delany told them is true or not...

Quote:If the information new member Maryland received from Jim Delany is accurate, each Big Ten school will receive an extra $7 million in broadcast revenue beginning next year (up to $32 million), and that $7 million alone is nearly enough to crack the nut on annual State Farm Center renovation payments for the next 30 years.

By 2017, when new contracts are signed, look for that $32 million to be $43 million ... and the overall UI budget to crack $100 million. If my numbers are off by a million or two, so what?

Again, what Delany has promised the current full earning members of the Big Ten, with the addition of Maryland and Rutgers, is an extra $7 million each, starting next year.

That's not the way I read the article. If the number was for adding UM and Rutgers, then those two teams would be generating $84 million a year over an above their own share of B10 TV money.

I think what that number is the football playoff and their share of the Rose Bowl. Plus a tish for Rutgers and MD

* adding an extra share for the conference - some conferences don't include that share on the front end.

Playoff $55 million divided by 15 = $3.667 million
Rose $40 million divided by 15 = $2.667 million

Subtotal $95 million or $6.334 million per team. The effect of adding MD and Rutgers would round it up to near $7 million.

Maryland would have seen a greater increase in the ACC:

Playoff $55 million divided by 16 = $3.437
Orange $37.5 million divided by 15 = $1.833
ND increase $2 million per team (the 2.5 football games and basketball)

$7.27 million more to be in the ACC in 2014
@$7.0 million more to be in the B10 in 2014

On a yearly basis it roughs out like so for all money:

2013 2014 2015 2017

B10 24.5 M 31.5 M* 31.5 M $38-43 M***

ACC 19.5 M 29.0 M*^ 32.0 M** $34 - 35M****

*Playoff and Bowl Money kicks in for B10 and ACC
^ND money kicks in for ACC
** Louisville and Capital One Bowl and ACC No Network Money kick in for ACC
*** B10's big TV contract renewal kicks in
****ACC first contractual look-in kicks in

By 2018 the B10 could be as much as $9 million per team ahead of the ACC, or as little as $4 million in TV, Bowl, Playoff, and NCAA Shares.

At $34 million to $43 million the ACC is at 79% of the B10
At $35 to $38 million is at 92%. More than likely the distance will be about 15% or the ACC at 85% of the B10. ESPN has a financial incentive to keep the ACC close to the B10 or SEC. And when budgets at the big schools will be topping $100,000,000, 4-5 million is not that great an amount. Even the medium sized schools like GT and NC State will grow to near $70 million a year.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 11:28 AM by lumberpack4.)
12-20-2013 11:04 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(12-20-2013 11:04 AM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(12-20-2013 10:36 AM)Dasville Wrote:  If Delany told Maryland the truth, then there is nothing Swofford could have done to prevent them from leaving. Even Illinois doesn't know if what Delany told them is true or not...

That's not the way I read the article. If the number was for adding UM and Rutgers, then those two teams would be generating $84 million a year over an above their own share of B10 TV money.

I think what that number is the football playoff and their share of the Rose Bowl. Plus a tish for Rutgers and MD

* adding an extra share for the conference - some conferences don't include that share on the front end.

Playoff $55 million divided by 15 = $3.667 million
Rose $40 million divided by 15 = $2.667 million

Subtotal $95 million or $6.334 million per team. The effect of adding MD and Rutgers would round it up to near $7 million.

Maryland would have seen a greater increase in the ACC:

Playoff $55 million divided by 16 = $3.437
Orange $37.5 million divided by 15 = $1.833
ND increase $2 million per team (the 2.5 football games and basketball)

$7.27 million more to be in the ACC in 2014
@$7.0 million more to be in the B10 in 2014

On a yearly basis it roughs out like so for all money:

2013 2014 2015 2017

B10 24.5 M 31.5 M* 31.5 M $38-43 M***

ACC 19.5 M 29.0 M*^ 32.0 M** $34 - 35M****

*Playoff and Bowl Money kicks in for B10 and ACC
^ND money kicks in for ACC
** Louisville and Capital One Bowl and ACC No Network Money kick in for ACC
*** B10's big TV contract renewal kicks in
****ACC first contractual look-in kicks in

By 2018 the B10 could be as much as $9 million per team ahead of the ACC, or as little as $4 million in TV, Bowl, Playoff, and NCAA Shares.

At $34 million to $43 million the ACC is at 79% of the B10
At $35 to $38 million is at 92%. More than likely the distance will be about 15% or the ACC at 85% of the B10. ESPN has a financial incentive to keep the ACC close to the B10 or SEC. And when budgets at the big schools will be topping $100,000,000, 4-5 million is not that great an amount. Even the medium sized schools like GT and NC State will grow to near $70 million a year.

And this is why I post the info. I run across! So that those with a better perspective can put it in its right context!04-cheers

Thanks again lumberpack4!04-bow
12-20-2013 05:50 PM
baggerbob Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: syracuse
Picking up 2 programs with as much red ink as Rutgers, and Maryland is not sound leadership. If these 2 programs are such a great additions, to create more money for the Big 10 network, why can't they even interest enough fans in their own area's? You don't lose as much money as they have unless, either no-one cares about your sports teams, or some-one is siphoning money for their own use. The ACC picked up 4 programs that even though they weren't in one of the power 5 conferences, were stable athletic programs with some credibility, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame good basketball, and improving football. The Big 10 picked up Rutgers, Maryland, bad basketball, and football that will be bottom-feeders, and no common ground in terms of fans with their new league. Ask West Virginia how that feels, and both schools lose the ability to recruit in the south.
12-23-2013 08:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.