Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball RPI
Bookmark and Share
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
Basketball RPI
Here's a link to the Atlantic Sun RPI on realtimerpi.com: http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

Mercer has a strong RPI, but the rest of the league is positioned to have very weak RPI numbers. With the out of conference games just about done, they will only be able to move up at the expense of Mercer...

..Which brings me to this point: Mercer will be walking a minefield in Atlantic Sun play. The only hope to rise into at-large RPI numbering is to run the table. A win on Sunday at Mississippi would also do wonders, and that's not that far fetched.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 05:32 PM by MercerFan.)
12-18-2013 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
RE: Basketball RPI
The RPI means absolutely ZERO to teams in the Atlantic Sun. You have to win the league regardless to make the tournament and other tournaments very rarely factor RPI into making its picks. They look at ticket sales and guarantee money before RPI. The odd thing is the SoCon's RPI is far worse and will be losing Davidson.

Look at it this way, Lipscomb is 6th in the RPI A-Sun rankings. Lipscomb would be 3rd in the SoCon. Just a point of reference. Heck, Kennesaw would be 5th in the SoCon's RPI. The SoCon has more teams 300 or worse then the do 300 or better. Thats sad.
12-19-2013 10:37 AM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
I wouldn't say it means zero... There's no reason to think like that. Mercer has the schedule and talent to be an at-large. Belmont was in the at-large discussion just a couple of years ago while members of the Atlantic Sun (They won 30 games). If they hadn't have won the A-Sun finals they might have been an at-large selection.

Of course the A-Sun tournament is the easiest way to get into the dance. I know this team could sweep the Atlantic Sun, and they also have the talent to beat a team like Ole Miss.

You're right that the SoCon numbers are weak in basketball. Mercer and ETSU will be helping that out dramatically. If you move Mercer and ETSU this year, I'd say the positions would be swapped.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 11:34 AM by MercerFan.)
12-19-2013 11:33 AM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Also, Coach Hoffman is very aware of RPI. He mentions it in interviews when talking about opponents.
12-19-2013 11:37 AM
Advertisement

Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
Not to start an argument, but this Mercer team will not get to Belmont's total of conference wins or total wins. I will also argue that Belmont had ZERO shot of an at-large berth in the tournament. Its RPI was too high at 51 with only two quality wins against ETSU and a bad loss to Lipscomb. The highest ranked RPI teams to make the tournament are as follows: #67 USC, #64 Marquette (2011), #63 NC State (2005), #63 Stanford (2007). Notice not a single mid major.

Currently, Mercer is 76 and going up. Even, if Mercer would win out, which is going to be near impossible, its RPI will continue to go up. Mercer, also has no quality wins at this point, and has a questionable loss to Evansville.

The reason I say it is pointless is simply this. When was the last time it mattered for a team in the Atlantic Sun, Big South, etc.? Outside of seeding for the Play In Game (i.e. First Round) when does/has it factored?

I would assume the reason Coach Hoffman is bringing it up is because all his team's losses except for the one against Evansville have come against Top 100 RPI opponents.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 04:19 PM by Statman101.)
12-19-2013 04:14 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Small thinking that it will never matter or isn't possible will just yield the same result over and over. When was the last time it mattered to an A-Sun team? First, the Atlantic Sun hasn't been in a play-in game since I've been watching. For that reason alone it's mattered dramatically.

With FL Gulf Coast coming off a Sweet 16 run this league will have the most respect it's had in a long time.

I agree that it's always near impossible to win every league game. That's why I said it's a minefield. I know the team is thinking A-Sun tournament or bust, because that's the sure thing. There's just no reason to dismiss the possibility of a strong RPI rating. Or that our RPI of 51 is not equal to a power conference 51. That's crazy talk. We're just playing right into the hands of what the big schools and most of the media want us to believe -- That they deserve all the at-large spots.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 02:56 AM by MercerFan.)
12-20-2013 02:54 AM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
The only way that Mercer is even in the discussion for an at large is if they sweep the league then lose in the tournament finals. I still don't even think it would happen then. I don't like it any more than you do, but it is reality.
12-22-2013 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Mercer knocked off #40ish RPI Ole Miss!!!!! Might be time to revisit the conversation.... haha, but seriously an amazing game by the Bears. Saw it on CSS, and they hit a near buzzer beater to win it. Led by as much as 16 or 17. Then fell behind by 7. Then dominated the final minutes to take the win.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400499118

This also makes Mercer and Coach Hoffman 5-5 against the SEC... with 9 of those games on the road.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013 06:26 PM by MercerFan.)
12-22-2013 06:26 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Basketball RPI
Great win! Mercer will be the team to beat in the ASUN for sure. In sure the SoCon is happy about you guys too.
12-23-2013 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
(12-23-2013 11:11 AM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Great win! Mercer will be the team to beat in the ASUN for sure. In sure the SoCon is happy about you guys too.

Both Mercer and ETSU will be great adds for them. ETSU is having a much better year than anticipated from my perspective, but I haven't seen them play yet. Just looking at the results.
12-23-2013 11:41 AM
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
What happened vs UNF?
01-01-2014 10:42 PM
LUGSUMU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: LU, GSU, MU
(01-01-2014 10:42 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  What happened vs UNF?

UNF shot over 50% from 3, the floor and the charity stripe. coupled with a few injuries at the beginning of the game and a poor shooting night for mercer it was just not their night. we are pretty beat up right now hopefully we'll be healthy by tomorrow. you coming to the ETSU game down here?
01-02-2014 09:34 AM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
I wish I could, but a that's a bit of a drive from here.
01-02-2014 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.