Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC selected by the Barclays Center over the B1G for Tournament
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
ACC selected by the Barclays Center over the B1G for Tournament
Interesting if this is the case:

CHAPEL HILLSources close to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn say the two parties have agreed to stage a future ACC Basketball Tournament at the brand new home of the Brooklyn Nets.

The ACC will vote on holding the tournament in New York Tuesday, but the sources say that the agreement has been made and the vote is a mere formality. Due to the addition of former Big East schools Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the ACC is anxious to play a tournament in the northeast.

The Barclays Center selected the ACC over the Big Ten, which has added Maryland and Rutgers to its conference membership. Both conferences may hold later tournaments in Brooklyn, but the ACC will come first.

http://chapelboro.com/sports/acc/acc-tou...-new-york/
12-18-2013 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
RE: ACC selected by the Barclays Center over the B1G for Tournament
Posted this in the other thread, but I'll be interested to see how much/if any interest the Big Ten has in New York. Personally, I'd never put the basketball tournament anywhere besides Indianapolis/Chicago. I think the conference will want in New York on occasion though with a plan of about once every 4 years (each full class would be there once). If it's more than that, I think the conference would be making a mistake.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 10:13 AM by ohio1317.)
12-18-2013 10:12 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2013 10:12 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Posted this in the other thread, but I'll be interested to see how much/if any interest the Big Ten has in New York. Personally, I'd never put the basketball tournament anywhere besides Indianapolis/Chicago. I think the conference will want in New York on occasion though with a plan of about once every 4 years (each full class would be there once). If it's more than that, I think the conference would be making a mistake.

It makes way more sense for the B1G to be in Indianapolis or Chicago...NYC to me is just too far away from the core of that league.
12-18-2013 10:16 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
The A10 has it for just a few years right? I imagine their next move would be to D.C. Anybody have any thoughts/input?
12-18-2013 10:22 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(12-18-2013 10:22 AM)esayem Wrote:  The A10 has it for just a few years right? I imagine their next move would be to D.C. Anybody have any thoughts/input?

A10 could go DC, Philly again, or even out to Pittsburgh quite frankly. And, with Davidson now, Charlotte.
12-18-2013 10:35 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(12-18-2013 10:16 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-18-2013 10:12 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Posted this in the other thread, but I'll be interested to see how much/if any interest the Big Ten has in New York. Personally, I'd never put the basketball tournament anywhere besides Indianapolis/Chicago. I think the conference will want in New York on occasion though with a plan of about once every 4 years (each full class would be there once). If it's more than that, I think the conference would be making a mistake.
It makes way more sense for the B1G to be in Indianapolis or Chicago...NYC to me is just too far away from the core of that league.
NYC is too far away from the core of the ACC too. But that isn't stopping anyone from trying to hold their tourney there.
12-18-2013 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(12-18-2013 10:35 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(12-18-2013 10:22 AM)esayem Wrote:  The A10 has it for just a few years right? I imagine their next move would be to D.C. Anybody have any thoughts/input?

A10 could go DC, Philly again, or even out to Pittsburgh quite frankly. And, with Davidson now, Charlotte.

Pittsburgh would work, but I think keeping it closer to Philly helps it more.

Hershey's got the Giant Center. Not a bad venue, either.
12-18-2013 10:56 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2013 10:36 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
NYC is too far away from the core of the ACC too. But that isn't stopping anyone from trying to hold their tourney there.

The difference is Notre Dame and the Subway Alums and of course Syracuse and even Pitt...the B1G is basically Rutgers in that area...
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 10:58 AM by Maize.)
12-18-2013 10:57 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
DC is probably the best spot for the ACC tourney if they wanted one site. I guess they could rotate NYC, DC, and Charlotte. Maybe the big 10 goes to nyc once but indy and chicago are much better spots for them.
12-18-2013 11:00 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2013 11:00 AM)bluesox Wrote:  DC is probably the best spot for the ACC tourney if they wanted one site. I guess they could rotate NYC, DC, and Charlotte. Maybe the big 10 goes to nyc once but indy and chicago are much better spots for them.

Don't forget Greensboro....a 8 year rotation of 3 years in the Barclays, 3 years in Greensboro and 1 year each in DC and Charlotte or Atlanta.
12-18-2013 11:07 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

On the other hand though there is a very large alumni presence in this area for a number of Big Ten schools. Michigan, Penn State, obviously Rutgers, Maryland, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Northwestern all have notable alumni presence in the NY area. So to me I can very much understand having the tournament in NY once every few years or so.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 11:11 AM by brista21.)
12-18-2013 11:10 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(12-18-2013 10:57 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-18-2013 10:36 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

The difference is Notre Dame and the Subway Alums and of course Syracuse and even Pitt...the B1G is basically Rutgers in that area...

The Notre Dame Subway Alum are more football fans than BBall fans. Been to plenty of SJU/ND games in the Garden and they sporadically show up. They get more when they are better but it's still no guarantee they pack the place. It was always mostly SJU fans. FB games are different and I expect a ton of Irish fans at the Pinstripe Bowl.
12-18-2013 11:14 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Oh and I doubt this is for every year and probably for every four years. So I can still see the B1G finding their way into Brooklyn as well.

BTW what happened to playing at MSG? I thought you guys could just take it from the Big East? I guess ESPN was wrong huh? Our contract was a little harder to break than originally thought huh?
12-18-2013 11:16 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

When Maryland was in the ACC, they frequently sought to have the tourney in DC due to the overwhelming home court and refereeing advantage the Carolina schools had at the Carolina venues. They had very infrequent luck with that.

Now that the ACC has expanded north, expect the ACC tourney in NYC from time to time but it would shock me if it ever moves for very many years away from the state of North Carolina. It was hard enough getting it into Atlanta and Tampa on occasion. And why put it in DC at all after 2016? That's no longer ACC country.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 11:18 AM by quo vadis.)
12-18-2013 11:18 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2013 11:16 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Oh and I doubt this is for every year and probably for every four years. So I can still see the B1G finding their way into Brooklyn as well.

BTW what happened to playing at MSG? I thought you guys could just take it from the Big East? I guess ESPN was wrong huh? Our contract was a little harder to break than originally thought huh?

The BIG EAST will do fine...what will be interesting will be which will draw better and have more TV Viewer interest....the league with Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pitt, Louisville, Duke and UNC or the league with Marquette, Georgetown, Saint John's, Xavier and Nova...I'm not sayn...juz sayn....05-nono
12-18-2013 11:37 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2013 11:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

When Maryland was in the ACC, they frequently sought to have the tourney in DC due to the overwhelming home court and refereeing advantage the Carolina schools had at the Carolina venues. They had very infrequent luck with that.

Now that the ACC has expanded north, expect the ACC tourney in NYC from time to time but it would shock me if it ever moves for very many years away from the state of North Carolina. It was hard enough getting it into Atlanta and Tampa on occasion. And why put it in DC at all after 2016? That's no longer ACC country.

Virginia and Virginia Tech bleed into DC and you know it...you lived there and I was stationed there at Walter Reed...tell that to someone that doesn't know better...07-coffee3
12-18-2013 11:39 AM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(12-18-2013 11:10 AM)brista21 Wrote:  

On the other hand though there is a very large alumni presence in this area for a number of Big Ten schools. Michigan, Penn State, obviously Rutgers, Maryland, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Northwestern all have notable alumni presence in the NY area. So to me I can very much understand having the tournament in NY once every few years or so.

How about Philadelphia for the Big Ten tournament?
12-18-2013 11:43 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(12-18-2013 11:39 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-18-2013 11:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Virginia and Virginia Tech bleed into DC and you know it...you lived there and I was stationed there at Walter Reed...tell that to someone that doesn't know better...07-coffee3

They bleed into DC, but not at the levels needed to put on the tournament. Not IMO. But we'll see. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 11:46 AM by quo vadis.)
12-18-2013 11:46 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

DC is Central enough and accessible enough for the NC State, UNC, UVa, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt fans to fill up the Verizon Center.
12-18-2013 11:48 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(12-18-2013 11:48 AM)Maize Wrote:  DC is Central enough and accessible enough for the NC State, UNC, UVa, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt fans to fill up the Verizon Center.

ACC basketball fans are rabid and will travel great lengths to see their teams, so that won't surprise me. But I don't think the Carolina schools will let that event ever stray very far from North Carolina for long. They never have in the past.
12-18-2013 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.