Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liberty Bowl Ticket Sales
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
Liberty Bowl Ticket Sales
Any idea on how they're going? Last year, riceowls.com had a running tab on the tickets sold.

I hope we're doing way better than Houston:

twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/

"As of Monday, Houston has sold 1,300 tickets for the Jan. 4 @BBVACompassBowl against @VandyFootball"
12-17-2013 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
RE: Liberty Bowl Ticket Sales
Well, as I mentioned in a post late last week when I last spoke to Marc Laney, they were for whatever reason keeping things close to their vest, and not disclosing how ticket sales were going. IMO, this was a sign that it was not going as well as hoped.

Anyway, today was the day they were supposedly allocating tickets to those who ordered/purchased them.
12-17-2013 05:40 PM
Pimpa Offline
Special Teams

I bought my three today. I asked the sales representative over the phone how sales were going, and he said they were "steady". He told me that either yesterday or today, someone purchased 84 tickets to the Liberty Bowl.
12-17-2013 06:23 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
For how much longer are they selling tickets? I can't go to the game, but I want one anyway. I'm going to frame it with all of the Rice articles from the newspaper over the last two weeks. I don't get paid until Friday.
12-18-2013 11:53 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Just got email notification that my tickets are being shipped by UPS.

I wanted to pick them up at Tudor, and they shipped them anyway.

I asked - more than once - what delivery service they were using this year and was told USPS. I was even told that they wanted to avoid the fiasco of Fedex requiring sign for delivery - and they shipped them anyway.

It's only out of loyalty to the university that I continue to buy tickets through Rice, so they get credit for sales. The amateurness and imcompetence is infuriating, and nothing.ever.changes.

ETA: I got another email - from UPS - that the shipment has been cancelled. That's good, I think. But be advised that apparently it's package delivery again this year, not mail.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 01:10 PM by Frizzy Owl.)
12-18-2013 01:01 PM
Traveler413 Offline
Water Engineer

When you originally bought the tickets, did you specify Will Call as the delivery method?

I only ask because you said you wanted to pick them up at Tudor. I selected Will Call because I want to pick them up in Memphis since I will be out of town for most of December, and I am concerned if they are shipping things that were designated for Will Call or "Pick up at Box Office" or whatever.

(12-18-2013 01:01 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Just got email notification that my tickets are being shipped by UPS.

I wanted to pick them up at Tudor, and they shipped them anyway.

I asked - more than once - what delivery service they were using this year and was told USPS. I was even told that they wanted to avoid the fiasco of Fedex requiring sign for delivery - and they shipped them anyway.

It's only out of loyalty to the university that I continue to buy tickets through Rice, so they get credit for sales. The amateurness and imcompetence is infuriating, and nothing.ever.changes.

ETA: I got another email - from UPS - that the shipment has been cancelled. That's good, I think. But be advised that apparently it's package delivery again this year, not mail.
12-18-2013 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I had initially asked for mail, but changed that to pick-up when I called again to add to my order. So if you said will-call in the first place you're probably ok. I would never have agreed to shipping in the first place except I was assured they would be using mail this year.
12-18-2013 01:46 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
I am a bit worried as last three bowl games are a reasonable/no drive from Houston and plenty of alums in DFW or other reasons to go. Just a bit out of driving range for most (but not all), ok flight options (but not great like Dallas, Houston or NO and more $$) and is on NY Eve. I still think we sell more tix than many others in bowl games but the travel and cost factor will limit results of what we saw last year.
12-18-2013 01:58 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Quote:Joseph Duarte ‏@Chronicle_Owls 4m
#Rice has sold 2,600 tickets for the Dec. 31 @AZOLibertyBowl against Mississippi State
12-18-2013 05:21 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
JD just tweeted...

Quote:Joseph Duarte‏@Chronicle_Owls3m
#Rice has sold 2,600 tickets for the Dec. 31 @AZOLibertyBowl against Mississippi State

Quite honestly, I cannot believe it's that low, what with the free student tickets and all those on the Parliament claiming they've purchased (along with the size of their block of tickets). I hope it's either a misprint or JD misunderstood.
12-18-2013 05:22 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

Positive spin - Rice is doing ~twice as well as Houston despite a significantly smaller alumni base whose geographic distribution is undoubtedbly much further from the bowl location.

Negative spin - well that sucks and is worse than expected/hoped.
12-18-2013 06:02 PM
Advertisement

Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
That's depressing.

I immediately went over to the ticket web site and bought/tried to buy four more tickets. Can't tell whether I was successful or not, though; figure I'll have to call the ticket office Thursday morning.
12-18-2013 08:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Well, considering this isn't a major hub for Rice alumni and the fact that the air travel doesn't look that inviting, this isn't a surprising number.
12-18-2013 08:43 PM
mbrindley Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Bought 4 to donate to the community today. Didn't realize that was an option.
12-18-2013 09:20 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(12-18-2013 08:43 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  Well, considering this isn't a major hub for Rice alumni and the fact that the air travel doesn't look that inviting, this isn't a surprising number.

Looking at the 10-hour drive myself (but not alone), and have to be back at work Thursday.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 08:10 AM by Rick Gerlach.)
12-18-2013 10:03 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(12-18-2013 08:43 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  Well, considering this isn't a major hub for Rice alumni and the fact that the air travel doesn't look that inviting, this isn't a surprising number.

The air options are horrendous
12-18-2013 10:54 PM
Advertisement

NoodleOwl Offline
All Noodle

I Root For: the Owls! HOOT!

Folding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans Bowl
I won't be going, but I just went to the website and donated a ticket.
12-18-2013 11:40 PM
RiceDad Offline
1st String

I Root For:
DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-18-2013 11:40 PM)NoodleOwl Wrote:  I won't be going, but I just went to the website and donated a ticket.

Why not, I am?
12-19-2013 01:31 AM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(12-18-2013 10:03 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  

Looking at the 10-hour drive myself (but not alone), and have to be back at work Thursday.

To clarify, we ARE going to the game. Looking back at the wording, that wasn't necessarily clear.
12-19-2013 08:11 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(12-18-2013 10:54 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  

The air options are horrendous

Orbitz did pretty well for me. My only gripe was arrival back in Houston @ 10:00 PM, Jan 1. Gotta work on the 2nd and that was the only connection I could find when I booked.
12-19-2013 08:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.