Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SU should hire Ron Vanderlinden as DC/LB coach.
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
SU should hire Ron Vanderlinden as DC/LB coach.
He is a great LB coach and well-respected by HS coaches in PA and Maryland. He also has Midwestern connections (he was DC at NW back in the day and coached at PSU in the B1G for forever).

If HCSS plays a large role in the defense, his play calling won't matter that much (not that I think that it would be bed if it did), but his training/coaching/player development would be HUGE. He would also add a TON of credibility with HS coaches. IMO, he would be great for recruiting. HCSS and our OC have the passion to sell to kids, and RV has the experience to sell to their parents and HS coaches, and that is a perfect combination.

**For anyone that doesn't know, I think O'Brien fired him last week due to artistic differences (PSU is transitioning to a 5-2-4)**
12-15-2013 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

RE: SU should hire Ron Vanderlinden as DC/LB coach.
It's worth noting that he is ELITE at developing LB's.
12-15-2013 08:48 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
He was one of the 2 hold overs from the old staff.
Not sure why he was told to move on now.
12-15-2013 09:23 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(12-15-2013 09:23 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  He was one of the 2 hold overs from the old staff.

He's been at PSU since 2001, so he was there during the incident McQueary viewed, all the subsequent coverup and rumors and innuendo flowing around creepy valley the last decade, and Sandusky having access to practices (with his 2nd mile kids, no less), let along all the other things you'll probably never hear about. He's toxic, and the trials for their administrators are coming up soon, as well as more civil suits and the Clery violations report, so it could have something to do with it. Frankly, it is unconscionable that he and Larry Johnson were ever retained.
12-15-2013 09:46 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(12-15-2013 09:46 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(12-15-2013 09:23 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  He was one of the 2 hold overs from the old staff.

He's been at PSU since 2001, so he was there during the incident McQueary viewed, all the subsequent coverup and rumors and innuendo flowing around creepy valley the last decade, and Sandusky having access to practices (with his 2nd mile kids, no less), let along all the other things you'll probably never hear about. He's toxic, and the trials for their administrators are coming up soon, as well as more civil suits and the Clery violations report, so it could have something to do with it. Frankly, it is unconscionable that he and Larry Johnson were ever retained.

many you are a hater
12-15-2013 10:35 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
i would like to see SU invest a lot of those basketball $$$ into ways that football can gain better recruits however.......

traditionally player development has been one of our strong points and its a good alternative considering that we usually get the last pickings recruiting wise.
12-15-2013 10:37 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I think that it's a combination of 3 reasons:
1. Personality differences between him and O'Brien
2. Apparently he was starting to have trouble relating to recruits (this might be a big deal at PSU, but it's not much of a problem for SU, given our other coaches)
3. The move from a 4-3 to a 5-2-4 defense (He is a 4-3 guy)

None of those are problems for SU, though.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 11:44 PM by nzmorange.)
12-15-2013 11:09 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(12-15-2013 10:35 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(12-15-2013 09:46 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

many you are a hater

If that means delivering the truth, so be it.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 11:43 PM by CrazyPaco.)
12-15-2013 11:34 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(12-15-2013 08:45 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  He is a great LB coach and well-respected by HS coaches in PA and Maryland. He also has Midwestern connections (he was DC at NW back in the day and coached at PSU in the B1G for forever).

If HCSS plays a large role in the defense, his play calling won't matter that much (not that I think that it would be bed if it did), but his training/coaching/player development would be HUGE. He would also add a TON of credibility with HS coaches. IMO, he would be great for recruiting. HCSS and our OC have the passion to sell to kids, and RV has the experience to sell to their parents and HS coaches, and that is a perfect combination.

**For anyone that doesn't know, I think O'Brien fired him last week due to artistic differences (PSU is transitioning to a 5-2-4)**

I think it's more than "artistic differences". I think O'Brien wants a more aggressive defense rather than a reactive one. And I think the tension between O'Brien and Vandy would be no different than between Shafer and Vandy.

I'd love to have Vandy for recruiting purposes, but just don't see it happening.

Cheers,
Neil
12-16-2013 12:28 AM
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(12-16-2013 12:28 AM)omniorange Wrote:  
(12-15-2013 08:45 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  He is a great LB coach and well-respected by HS coaches in PA and Maryland. He also has Midwestern connections (he was DC at NW back in the day and coached at PSU in the B1G for forever).

I think it's more than "artistic differences". I think O'Brien wants a more aggressive defense rather than a reactive one. And I think the tension between O'Brien and Vandy would be no different than between Shafer and Vandy.

I'd love to have Vandy for recruiting purposes, but just don't see it happening.

Cheers,
Neil

O'Brien may not even be there next year. Reworked his contract in June for easier NFL out. He does not appear to be in it for the long haul.
12-16-2013 01:17 AM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
Syracuse isn't changing staff this year, they all did a great job to get this team to 6-6
12-16-2013 02:25 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-16-2013 02:25 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  Syracuse isn't changing staff this year, they all did a great job to get this team to 6-6

I'd say it was competent job overall, rather than a great one.

Cheers,
Neil
12-16-2013 08:19 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
It might be a good idea for Syracuse to hire a respected, experienced coach like Vanderlinden. From his childish sideline antics and lack of discipline of his team it's obvious Shafer needs adult supervision.
12-16-2013 09:18 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(12-16-2013 09:18 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  It might be a good idea for Syracuse to hire a respected, experienced coach like Vanderlinden. From his childish sideline antics and lack of discipline of his team it's obvious Shafer needs adult supervision.

Yes, you are so right. It is a terrible thing that a fb coach in the heat of the moment says a couple of swear words off camera, or so he thinks. Yes he needs adult supervision alright.

I take it that you think that's a lot worse than Dabo Swinney driving 63 miles per hour in a 35 mile per hour zone and endangering the lives of other drivers as well as pedestrians, all because he was late for an radio interview. Then after being pulled over and being issued a speeding ticket causes the officer to get fired for having the nerve to give the GREAT AND ALL POWERFUL DABO SWINNEY a speeding ticket. Obviously, Dabo exaggerated the situation as the chief viewed video of the traffic stop and said the officer acted professionally. Clearly, Dabo Swinney is the very representation of class and respect and honor and dignity:

“Chief Gregory informed me that Mr. Dabo Swinney called him at his residence about 9 p.m. the night of the traffic stop,” McClatchy said. “He also informed me that Mr. Dabo Swinney stated he was displeased with the way I handled the traffic stop and that I acted unprofessionally.”

Dabo Swinney Gets Officer Fired
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 11:19 PM by cuseroc.)
12-16-2013 11:02 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2013 02:25 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  Syracuse isn't changing staff this year, they all did a great job to get this team to 6-6

I vehemently disagree. I think that there were obvious signs of nepotism/late hires. Furthermore, I think that our DC is a shining example. I'm pretty sure that the season panned out because HCSS took a more active role in the defense in the second half of the season because our DC clearly wasn't getting it done. Don't get me wrong, there were others. He's just the first that jumps to mind.
12-16-2013 11:05 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-16-2013 11:02 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(12-16-2013 09:18 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  It might be a good idea for Syracuse to hire a respected, experienced coach like Vanderlinden. From his childish sideline antics and lack of discipline of his team it's obvious Shafer needs adult supervision.

Yes, you are so right. It is a terrible thing that a fb coach in the heat of the moment says a couple of swear words off camera, or so he thinks. Yes he needs adult supervision alright.

I take it that you think that's a lot worse than Dabo Swinney driving 63 miles per hour in a 35 mile per hour zone and endangering the lives of other drivers as well as pedestrians, all because he was late for an radio interview. Then after being pulled over and being issued a speeding ticket causes the officer to get fired for having the nerve to give the GREAT AND ALL POWERFUL DABO SWINNEY a speeding ticket. Obviously, Dabo exaggerated the situation as the chief viewed video of the traffic stop and said the officer acted professionally. Clearly, Dabo Swinney is the very representation of class and respect and honor and dignity:

“Chief Gregory informed me that Mr. Dabo Swinney called him at his residence about 9 p.m. the night of the traffic stop,” McClatchy said. “He also informed me that Mr. Dabo Swinney stated he was displeased with the way I handled the traffic stop and that I acted unprofessionally.”

Oh, you mean the South Carolina fan who later dropped the wrongful termination lawsuit after his South Carolina fan lawyer determined they had got all the publicity they could out of a case they had no chance in hell of winning?

As for the "putting other drivers and pedestrians at risk" BS, it's a four lane highway at the very edge of a town of 3100. About the only reason the speed limit drops there (and drops quickly I might add) is for Pickens PD to write tickets.

http://www.speedtrap.org/city/28718/Pickens

It's about the only way a city of 3100 can afford a police dept with a full time staff of 15.
12-17-2013 09:10 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(12-17-2013 09:10 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(12-16-2013 11:02 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

Oh, you mean the South Carolina fan who later dropped the wrongful termination lawsuit after his South Carolina fan lawyer determined they had got all the publicity they could out of a case they had no chance in hell of winning?

As for the "putting other drivers and pedestrians at risk" BS, it's a four lane highway at the very edge of a town of 3100. About the only reason the speed limit drops there (and drops quickly I might add) is for Pickens PD to write tickets.

http://www.speedtrap.org/city/28718/Pickens

It's about the only way a city of 3100 can afford a police dept with a full time staff of 15.

Just because the guy dropped the case doesn't mean that these things didn't happen. The lesson here is, don't question other coaches character when your coach has major character issues of his own.
12-17-2013 09:17 AM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
(12-16-2013 11:05 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

I vehemently disagree. I think that there were obvious signs of nepotism/late hires. Furthermore, I think that our DC is a shining example. I'm pretty sure that the season panned out because HCSS took a more active role in the defense in the second half of the season because our DC clearly wasn't getting it done. Don't get me wrong, there were others. He's just the first that jumps to mind.

this may be true but if they win there bowl game and finish 7-6 I doubt anyone leaves unless its there choice
12-17-2013 08:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.