WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gun violence, unfortunately, seems to be a trend in our society
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Gun violence, unfortunately, seems to be a trend in our society
I don't have answers . . . just 100 stories of gun violence since Sandy Hook. If you include the latest high school shooting....it becomes 101.

http://holliston-hopkinton.patch.com/gro...-hopkinton
12-14-2013 12:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: Gun violence, unfortunately, seems to be a trend in our society
Yeah, this is equally depressing to click around in:

http://www.stoptheshootings.org/
12-14-2013 12:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
That latest one is less than a mile from my house. My neighbor was one of the parents on the news, has a girl and a boy with him there. I was out of town, hear that the whole area is really shook up.
12-14-2013 12:15 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2013 12:15 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  That latest one is less than a mile from my house. My neighbor was one of the parents on the news, has a girl and a boy with him there. I was out of town, hear that the whole area is really shook up.

DB, WTF is up there in your area? Can it all be coincidence?
12-14-2013 04:23 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I have NO IDEA. Centennial by many accounts is the safest place to live in the country. Borders Littleton which is pretty much the same demographic. Columbine was 14 years ago, we've had a lot of events in those twelve years if you remember too. 05-nono

Columbine and Arapahoe were HS kids. The theatre shooting was a California transplant, albeit a certified looney schizoid.

What I'm hearing via the rumor mill about this kid is that in the last two weeks, he was showing some irregular behavior, out of character, aggressive stuff that was making his friends uncomfortable. Adolescence is when a lot of mental illnesses manifest themselves.

So sad he took it out on that girl.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 04:45 PM by DesertBronco.)
12-14-2013 04:41 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Chicago Illinois has the strictest firearm laws in the USA and have to date in 2013 recorded 350 shooting deaths plus 1706 more shot & wounded, so far. Has been called Urban terrorism.
Chicago homicides 2013

Detroit also has recorded over 300 deaths this year from "urban terrorism."

Quote:gun crime has been declining in the U.S. Firearm murders are down, as is overall gun violence – even as gun ownership increases.
http://www.factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhe...gun-facts/

Recent Mass murders in "gun free" areas are becoming a huge problem. The crazy guys are smart enough to know at a school, airport or mall etc nobody is going to shoot back.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 05:00 PM by okgc.)
12-14-2013 04:50 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Not even related to this incident, this was a kid bent on revenge for being booted from the debate team, and his behavior took a turn in recent weeks.

WTF? I think I'd rather focus on the girl, Claire Davis, a lovely 17 year old who is fighting for her life right now.

Have your gun debate on another thread, preferably another time. EFFF ME!!!
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 05:00 PM by DesertBronco.)
12-14-2013 04:59 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

You know how bad for their case it is when DURING a crisis NRA types get out on the web and start citing "Chicago Chicago Chicago" like they do? Not just here, but all over yesterday, on the news, web, talk radio, everywhere.

They were calling into talk radio shows, I was driving to the airport and desperately bouncing around trying to find out what was happening on the radio, what I got was half the time since it was during the day was right ring talk radio with NRA pro gun every things calling in and reciting their "awwwwk, Chicago Chicago Chicago" rhetoric and this was while kids were in the process of evacuating the school and the status of the shooter wasn't known yet.

That's not helping your case. Not one bit. Pathetic.

Claire is fighting for her life. BTW.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 11:36 PM by DesertBronco.)
12-14-2013 11:34 PM
Tommyboy Offline
1st String

Previously in this country when adolescents had a problem and wanted a fight they would use fists, and if they couldn't take the person they were mad at they would get few friends to help. Some guys would have bruises maybe a split lip but little else in most cases, as the point was to make a point not be Jerry Seymour. Now as the number of firearms has grown in this country they are as likely to grab one and make a major statement.

Running counter to the NRA message of Chicago is what has happened in Australia. Mid/late 90s they banned semi automatic long guns with a mandatory buyback (not sure about semiautomatic pistols) homicide by firearm has dropped over 60% and there have been no mass shootings (four or more victims) since, where before the ban they were averaging about one per year. Looking at some numbers a couple weeks ago the only real jump in crime after the ban was armed robbery which grew relative to unarmed robbery in the next couple years before falling back to a more normal ratio, both hit peaks about 01 and by 07 had fallen back to levels similar to when the ban was put in place.
12-15-2013 07:25 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I care less about anecdotal references to other societies or "Chicago Chicago Chicago", it's obvious we have a problem, but in typical "American capitalistic" (i.e. organization, mega corporation, or both) fashion there's an invisible hand that is afraid of losing their golden goose muddying up the message.

I'm afraid our solution is a long way coming and that the solution will be a muddied up mess.

Much like our way of addressing health care coverage gaps, took fifty years and we got a garbage almost as bad as the mess we were trying to fix.

Claire Davis is still in critical condition, massive head trauma and fighting for her life.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 09:54 AM by DesertBronco.)
12-15-2013 09:52 AM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Everybody's got to be praying for her survival and recovery.

Read that the shooter bought a shotgun a week ago, which is legal for 18-year old in CO (but not a handgun).

Where are this guy's parents when he's making Molotov cocktails and loading himself up like a suicide bomber before going to school?
12-15-2013 10:05 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I'm sure we'll be hearing about his parents in the near future.
12-15-2013 10:17 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(12-15-2013 10:05 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Everybody's got to be praying for her survival and recovery.

Read that the shooter bought a shotgun a week ago, which is legal for 18-year old in CO (but not a handgun).

Where are this guy's parents when he's making Molotov cocktails and loading himself up like a suicide bomber before going to school?

Where are the parents? Who knows? That assumes he has active, intact, competent, caring and responsible parents. That assumes he's not from a broken home, or an abusive home, or an addicted home, or a violent home, or any other type of dysfunctional home. Maybe, maybe not.
12-15-2013 09:42 PM
Advertisement

chipfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
From what I have heard, it sounds like his parents are divorced and he was living with his father.
12-15-2013 10:05 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Not even in that district too.
12-15-2013 10:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.